Gearbox oil & filter change

owdgit

Reaction score
Ive got an 2001 2.5V6TDI with tiptronic, done 183k and have asked an Audi dealer for a price to change the oil & filter, purely because of the mileage. They say its not a scheduled service.
Anyone recommend someone for the job or got an idea of cost? Manchester area.
Dont fancy it myself as research says you need to monitor the temp etc when filling and I dont have the gear to do that.
Thanks.

I was thinking just the same recently. Looked on my copy of Elsa win and seems very simple to do except for the temperature bit - really need VCDS to do it properly and as such a critical part of engine worth doing it properly. If you do it it would be worth replacing the filter as well as the oil, means taking off the bottom of the oil sump. Asked my trustworthy audi independent garage and he does not think it is worth doing unless there is any problem. The oil itself is apparantly very high quality so should not need replacing and is rather expensive too.

On a side - anyone checked the final transmission oil level supposed to be done at every inspection service - i have found the plug (star drive) but it seems totally impossible to get socket set onto the head as very cramped access - any tips?

I've been quoted around £130 inc oil, filter, labour etc
I know Audi say it doesnt need changing but oil does deteriorate over time and I dont intend changing the car for some time.
It's not giving any problems but I still feel it's worth doing.

Agreed that oil deteriorates over time, and I've previously had problems with a (non-Audi) auto box in a Land Rover used for heavy off-roading and towing. Eventually the oil started to break down, it clogged the governor, and the car was very reluctant to change up out of 1st when the oil was cold.

When drained it was like treacle. Following a good flush and some fresh oil & filter the auto gearbox gave another year or two of service before finally expiring, primarily as a result of the damage it had sustained with the old oil.

I found some instructions on a US Audi forum for doing the oil and filter on a 2.7T Allroad tiptronic and it looks fiddly rather than complex. My car has 133k miles on it now, so it's on my list of jobs, just as soon as I've replaced the cambelt.

I've often thought the same thing about changing the oil in the box of my S6, surly it can't last that long as Audi says's? The previous owner of mine said he took it to Audi to have it done as he had the same thoughts as us & they point blank refused to do it.

just as soon as I've replaced the cambelt.[/QUOTE]

please let me know how you get on. I too have the 2.5 TDI V6 engine, timing belt not due but I am mentally planning the job. have got engine specific setting kit for that engine (RRP about £140 but got it new on ebay for £60!)

I chickened out on the belt change and got a deal at Stoke Audi, they changed water pump, thermostat pulleys fanbelt, the whole hog plus a couple of other bits that fell apart when they took the belt of. I also got a loan car which was an added bonus.
Fully warranted and Audi parts and not much more than an independant.
Ive only got the one car so if I had done it myself and needed an extra part it would have been job stopped till I could order/get the part.
Hats off to those that elect to do it themselves.
I do all the other jobs myself.

stoke audi, dave and crew are good lads so no shame in choosing them, well worth having audi doing cambelts sometimes, esp when they fail prematurely like on my allroad which = new engine time