Manaul or Automatic in the 2.5Tdi, 2.7t or 3.0 v6?

Cam1177

Reaction score
I am currently looking to upsize from my A4 to an A6 and have pretty much agreed that I will be going for either a 2.5tdi, 2.7t, or 3.0v6, Quattro Sport from the early 2000's. I am aware of some of the potential engine faults with the 2.5 and the high repair costs of the 2.7, but am not sure on the 3.0V6, which i assume is the same alu block engine from the A4 of the same year?

What I'm also not sure of is though, is whether to go for a manual or auto. I will not be towing anything, and whilst smoking tyre starts from the lights or no longer my thing, relative performance still is. It seems that auto's are far more common with the manuals seeming to command a slight premium unless you shop about. Is there a huge difference between the auto/trip and the manual, and is fuel consumption and performance restricted going auto. Are gearboxes from either more susceptible to failure than the other?

Thanks

Cam

If it's performance you after then it's either the 2.7TT or the 3.0 quattro. Regardless of condition and driving style both are thirsty. If you go for the v6 tdi, you can have decent performance with decent fuel economy as well. The 3.0 quattro wont get more than 25 Mpg whilst the 2.7TT will go 2-3Mpg more if you baby-it. On the other hand the v6 tdi quattro will go 35+ Mpg average easily. Throw a Steinbauer tuning box or decent remap in the mix and you'll be pleasantly surprised with the derv. The 3.0 is smooth like butter, the 2.7 is a beast and the v6 tdi is a combination between the 2 whilst not sounding anything like a diesel except on tick over...If you go for the diesel watch for Longlife servicing (every 20k or 2 years) as its bad on the engine, the 2.7 require engine removal if the turbo needs replacing and its prone to boost leaks wich kill the turbo's pretty quick after it's fixed. The 3.0 is as difficult to work on as the 2.7 just it does not have the added plumbing...I would drive all of them and see wich fits ther bill. I have a c5 allroad quattro 180Bhp and i love it, it's my workhorse and it returns 30-35 Mpg regardless if i tow with it or not- not bad for a 2 tonne car !

I actually preffer the AKE/AFB/AKN style engines with rocker arms compared to the later ones with cam rollers as the later are more susceptible to heavy damage if the cambelt lets go ! The rocker arms are designed to break in the event of piston to valve contact and they will save the head from getting severely damaged. If you have a belt go on a BAU type engine with cam rollers, it will damage the heads beyond repair !

Adamms24: "On the other hand the v6 tdi quattro will go 35+ Mpg average easily"

I have an audi allroad 2004 2.5 V6 TDI (BAU). My average mpg is 27 - rural driving. just over 30 on motorway etc. Do NOT do longlife service, do it myself but every 9,000 miles. What do I need to do to get the 35+mpg as stated my adamms24? Would a tuning box help? If so which one? What about a re-map?

Last edited:
Adamms24: "On the other hand the v6 tdi quattro will go 35+ Mpg average easily"

I have an audi allroad 2004 2.5 V6 TDI (BAU). My average mpg is 27 - rural driving. just over 30 on motorway etc. Do NOT do longlife service, do it myself but every 9,000 miles. What do I need to do to get the 35+mpg as stated my adamms24? Would a tuning box help? If so which one? What about a re-map?
Your allroad weighs close to 1.9 tonnes so that would effect the fuel ecconomy big time ! My allroad manual does average 28-32 average but most i drive it with a trailer hooked on the back ! I was talking about the v6 tdi fitted in the a6 quattro wich is a good 200 kg lighter...hence the better fuel economy !