Niggly problem #1

GT-Steve

Getting there..
Reaction score
So I picked up my first Audi yesterday, a 2002 A6 Avant, 2.5tdi Quattro, and I noticed almost straight away, a niggly problem that needs sorting - the climate control.

Everytime the ignition is switched off, the climate control seems to 'reset' itself. Once the ignition is switched back on, the temp (both sides) defaults back to 27.0 degrees..

Also, when the 'Econ' or the button above or below with the arrow and 'A' are switched on, the aircon ceases to function, and it just becomes a conventional heater/blower. When all three buttons on the left are 'off' the Aircon pumps out perfectly to the selected temperature...

Is the control unit goosed, and is this a common fault? Do I need a replacement? Or is there a fix?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Whenthe "Econ" button is lit you A/C compressor is disconnected
A fault scan with VCDS would help pinpoint thhe problem.

Ahh, right, that clears up the stupidity from my side then.. :blush:, but it always defaults to the ECON light being on, is this normal behavour too? so just the other bit about the temp settings, and I'm laughing..

Sorry, I'm terribly new to this, what's VCDS?

Last edited:
VCDS= diagnostic program.
Look for a Vagcom user location for a member in your area.
I am not an A6 owner, so not sure on the controls.
Heater settings on all 3 Audi's we have are stored on the key, do you have a spare to try ?

Look for a Vagcom user location for a member in your area.

Thanks for the help, but...

Sorry I'm gonna ask another dumb question, but how do I do that.. ?

As for the keys, the car came with only one main key, and a black plastic spare.

Lovely, cheers for the help, I'll see what I can learn from that.. :thumbsup: