sold wrong fluid

richard davis

Reaction score
hi all last weekend went in to halfords to buy some power steering fluid. i asked for minural power steering fluid at counter and bloke asked what year my car was its a 2000 s6
he put reg in computer and told me i needed dot 2 the red stuff any way put fluid because i had a slight leak in the week i lost all fluids took to a mechanic and was told i used wrong fluid and its blown the seals on rack fluid ******* everywere
does anyone know were i stand with being sold wrong fluid and it damamging the seals and getting halfords to pay to repair it?

I think you stand nowhere with your claim and it will be a very expensive lesson for you as it probably write off the car. The engine needs to be removed in order for the steering rack to be replaced, also the power steering pump is most likely damaged and it's not cheap either... I'll be very surprised if you get any change of a grand posibly as much as 1500 due to the labour involved... A litre of genuine power steering fluid is only 6 quid in dealer's !

engine doesnt need to come out check ya facts first mate ! spoke to halfords today and was quite suprised this isnt the first time its happened and was told they have payed out for similar claims so sounds quite promising the cars worth alot more that 1500 so dont think it will be a write off lol

I wanna see you taking the steering rack off with the engine in situ ! I was trying to be compasionate for you, did not mean to be an *** ? Anyway, the car is worth a lot to you, in current climate decent s6 can be picked for 4k so spending 1500 quid on a car worth twice that isnt a option for most people...Good luck fixing-it...

Rack does come out with engine in, pain but bolts from above, battery etc out, bolts from underneath, up past exhaust, pipes off, disconect track rods and column, then removed through drivers side. you have to remove a lot more than stated to get to things but thats the gist of it.