creaking steering wheel when turning

tullA6

Mean Green Machine
Reaction score
Ok folks, i have been looking at threads on various websites to try and get a fix for this annoying creaky rigging sound when i turn the wheel right, mostly. it sounds like something in the steering column rubbing against rubber/plastic when the wheel is turned. it is definitely not coming from the wheels, engine bay or anywhere external, it is coming from directly behind the steering wheel.

Does anyone know definitively what is making this sound and
HOW TO FIX IT!!!!!!????????
Please.....
Thanks

tullA6
02 A6 Avant Sport 1.9 TDI

i have the same issue, i have looked on etka and elsa to see if there are bushes or a lube interval without success. going to pull the column shrouds off and see if a dribble oil lube down the cloumn cures it.

be sure to let us know, i'd do mine today but she is 20 miles away!!!!! have the old bird for the weekend trying to sell it. was considering tackling it the same way...so i'll be interested to hear how it goes.:think:

Could be the slip ring has become a little dry, is it down in the footwell or directly behind the wheel, as if its footwell area then wont be the ring.

so many similar problems and no replies, how about you Stimpy...any news for us. As for you question about location, NHN, im like the rest sounds coming from behind the wheel......

Stimpy, no pressure but we are all counting on you:sos:!!!!

If its directly behind the steering wheel chaps then its probably the slip ring or the steering column trims, but atm it sounds like the ring, they have a ribbon inside them that has some form of grease inside to help it move back/forth, if this has dried up then its possible it'll make this noise given the design.

so many similar problems and no replies, how about you Stimpy...any news for us. As for you question about location, NHN, im like the rest sounds coming from behind the wheel......

Stimpy, no pressure but we are all counting on you:sos:!!!!

Sorry, not had a chance yet. Been working my *** off..... Boooo.
Anyway i am changing the Dual mass and clutch tomorrow. If i have time i will hit it with a hammer to see if that helps.......

I have a quick fix. Get some WD40 (with the straw) Heat the very end of the straw and put a slight curve on it. This way you can spay lube behind the steering wheel without removal. WD40 dont last that long. So now im adapting the straw to work with silicone spray !!

Worked a treat !!!!!!!!!

Taking the steering wheel off is a 2 minute job as long as you have the Spline bit. Its better to do a good job with the lub that with WD40 as it could cause issues if it got on the connectors for the MFSW or even worse the Airbag!!

encourageing words, where exactly do you insert the straw on the wheel, if for example if it was clock face. or should the column shrouds be taken off...????

Sorry, not had a chance yet. Been working my *** off..... Boooo.
Anyway i am changing the Dual mass and clutch tomorrow. If i have time i will hit it with a hammer to see if that helps.......

Well after a weekend that has gone to *****. I Didn't get to change the dual mass or the have a look at the slip ring.
I was thinking about the lube's to try, wd40, maybe not as this could be electrically conductive. depending on access i was going to try petroleum jelly.

My brother in laws C5 got same problem, and it was diagnosed slip ring. Cost from main dealer £214 + vat. So he decided to spray lubricant, doing this caused steering wheel angle sensor go faulty. Under no circumstances spray any lubricant behind steering wheel, you get all sensors damaged, and will end up with warning lights on.
I managed to get for him from ebay brand new genuine slip ring for £45. Also when slip ring removed, must be programmed back to car using value codes via Vagcom

If you're silly enough to spray anything into an unknown area that has electronics within & airbag systems then what does this say, you need to do as suggested, remove the wheel & associated parts to gain access to the slip ring, remove this & spray a small amount of white grease in from a can, its not a liquid as such so wont run & will lube up inside with some turns back/forth by hand without draining out, WD40 would be a serious mistake IMHO, not with a barge pole, its liquid & will run wherever it can which will, dependent on car type, possibly short an angle sensor & steering cu, take heed of the warnings by various members as not to be taken lightly & these parts arent cheap new.

WD40 Sorted mine, but reading this i wont be doing it again !!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the heads up !