4 Matching tyres on A6 quattro - how crucial is it?

daveb99

Reaction score
I've read on a couple of forums now that it is important to have 4 matching tyres with the same tread levels on all four corners with all A6 quattro models, to prevent any wear to the drivetrain. Something to do with it having a Torsen diff, rather than Haldex, apparently.

I bought mine privately and whilst all 4 tyres have the same tread depth, the fronts are a different brand to the rears.

Can all you quattro owners comment on your experiences, and whether you're running all 4 matching tyres?

really wouldn't worry, life is far too short. I had a C5 S6 for my last car 5 years and it never proved an issue 110,000 miles. just enjoy your nice car!

matching brand is not an issue, you dont have to worry to much about tread depth, it may show a abs fault on the dash if you have brand new tyres on one axle and the other axle is worn to the limits. apparently the rolling radius tolerance is affected and can cause damage to the rear diff.

it is important to have the same profile on all axles though.

Depends how hard you drive. I had the same issue when i bought mine and things improved when i got all 4 tyres the same and got the 4 wheel alignment done. In my experience cheap tyres are a false economy see my thread on th handling forum