Disable passenger airbag

Ianmanchester

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to disable the passenger airbag on my A6 4.2 1999, in the instruction booklet it talks of a airbag switch located in the glove box that is operated via the ignition key. I have no such switch.

I guess my only option is to remove the airbag, - any pointers?

cheers

PS I want to disable the airbag, as I need to fit my daughters rear facing car seat in the front passenger seat, she doesn't like sitting in the back - pitty as I have fitted ISO fix points!!

If your car has the switch in the glovebox (at the back I think) it will also have a warning display to tell you the airbag is switched off in the interior light console above your head. If i remember correctly my 1999 (V plate so late 99 and therefore probably 2000 model year) A6 had the switch but it may of been an option (although I don't think it was unless the leasing company made it mandatory so I had no choice as I don't recall specifying it) or it may be that they made it standard for the 2000 model year.

If you don't have the switch then rather than going for the rather drastic option of having the airbag removed the dealer or someone with a VAG-COM can probably deactivate it. This way when your daughter gets a bit older and agrees to travel in the back of the car (tell her all Princesses travel that way!!) it is a fairly simple job to have it reactivated