20" alloys on an allroad?

reggieroo

Reaction score
Website
www.theirishshop.co.uk
Thinking about what wheels to fit after Winter.

I have a couple of choices, I have a set of 19" RS4 reps form our 2002 A4, not sure of the offset but will need another set of tyres as they only have 225/35/19s & I think they will be too skinny on the allroad. I also have a set of 20" trafficstar splits, the front is 9x20 et30 with 245/35/20 & the back is 10.5x20 et29 with 275/30/20 & they came off my Mums SL320.

Would the 20s fit with that offset & tyre size, Could I even put 285/30/20 on the back? The reason I ask is the 275s don't seem to fit the 10.5x20 very well & the wheels suffered pothole damage so will need to be refurbed.

this is my main guide for wheels on allroads
allroadFAQ.Com - allroad Wheel and Tire Fit Guide

I think the 225's would be too skinny as well. I would prefer to run with no spacer or very little spacer, reckon the reps you mention could be et45 or even greater.

for the 20's the 285 may a bit too much, the ones on the link above are 275. are you able to trial fit at all?

I've looked into it a little more & using a couple of websites that calculate the rolling radius I've have found that a 245/35/20 & a 285/30/20 have virtually the same rolling radius & they are also virtually the same as the standard 225/55/17 that is fitted to the allroad as standard. What I don't want to do is have a different rolling radius on the back to the front as it could mess the diffs up I'm thinking so that rules out a 275 on the back.

19" alloys would need a 245/40/19 to be the same rolling radius as the standard 225/55/17.

Last edited:
20 seems like a bit much on a daily driven car. 18-19 is very nice. Theyre pretty big, but still not a "show car" size wheel. Theyre a bit more managable in the fenders and on the road and during turning.

I've had 20s on every car for the last 8 years or so, they don't look big to me at all any more. 18s are just way to small for me & look a little punny, 19s are about as small as I'd go to be honest. We had 19s on our A4 & they didn't look big either, a mate of mine who isn't even really into cars asked "are they 19s, they don't look it?" Big cars these days are coming out standard with 19s & 20s so it's becoming the norm to have that sort of size on a big car. I seen a Q7 the other day with 21s on it & they looked like a standard alloy, didn't even look like 20".

True, 20s look normal on larger body cars. It's a proportion thing. Try a 99 A4 with 20s and compare it to a 2010 A4 with 20's. Theyll look WAYYYY different because the newer ones just look much bigger, so it will look nicer, more proportionate.

Your exactly right, I had 20s on a Lexus GS300 & BMW 740i & they looked normal, the 16s & 17s that came standard on them looked ridiculous. The Lexus looked like a skateboard & the 740i looked like an old 5 series on 15s. I did read somewhere that the 4.2 allroad had 18s on so wouldn't mind a set of those for Winter & 20s for summer.

I've done some test fitting & the 19s off the A4 looked lost under the arches of the allroad because they are the wrong offset & sat in way too much. The 20s came of my Mums 320 SL & are 5x114 stud pattern when I went to fit them but someone suggested wobble bolts. I popped two on with just two bolts to see if they fit offset wise & the back is a 10.5x20 & rubbed on the suspension so they will also need spacers, should be only 5mm though as the offset of those is 30mm.

So I have a set of 19s with the wrong tyres on, the right stud pattern but the wrong offset by quite a bit & a set of 20s with the wrong stud pattern (5x114) & slightly the wrong offset for the back but the right tyres. :think:

Dont use wobble bolts. Just use regular ones.

sell them to fund new correct fitting ones the choices are endless