1999 A6 - random no starts????

fatfree

Reaction score
1999 A6.

Turn the key to ign I and the dash lights come on as normal. No unusual lights. Battery at 12V+. But when trying to start the car, NOTHING happens. No cranking, but the dash lights are still on. Sometimes it takes 3 tries and finally it fires up strongly. Sometimes it takes 15 times and then fires up strongly. Sometimes no problems at all.

It doesn't matter if it's cold starts or hot starts, but it does it randomly.

It seems very much as an immobilizer problem as if the reader is dirty, BUT since this is a 1999, it doesn't have an immobilizer, so what could be the problem?

Thanks guys!!

Yea, I made sure it was in park, but no go.

But what you say about the selector being a little faulty sounds like a probable cause. Now that you reminded me, my aunt had this happen to her before on a Nissan Maxima, that she need to fiddle with the shifter.

But too late, I brought the Audi to the Audi dealership before I read this reply. But they couldn't dupblicate the problem. But I called them up, and told them maybe the gear selector is faulty so they are keeping it for one more day.

thanks for the tip! I have a feeling I will have the car back without the dealer doing anything, and have to end up paying $95 for the check up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif