MPG & performance figures for TDI engines?

reggieroo

Reaction score
Website
www.theirishshop.co.uk
Ok guys, We have an A4 1.9TDI 130 at the moment but I'm finding it a little small + we need an estate car now so thinking of an A6 Avant (also considering a 5 series tourer).

I would like a bit more power as I find the 1.9TDI 130 a bit slow but do like the economy.

What are the 2.5 TDI engines like MPG wise & BHP?

I'm sure I've seen a 2.5 Quattro 180bhp.

Just been looking & found 155bhp & 163bhp 2.5 TDI

Last edited:
I've got an A6 2.5 Quattro Avant, which is the 180bhp. I've had the 1.9 130 too, but like the Quattro. Fuel varies somewhat from car to car, but I'm getting an average of 36mpg, but on a longer run can get 40 to 45mpg.

You could always get your 130 mapped to around 175/ 180bhp??

I've got an A6 2.5 Quattro Avant, which is the 180bhp. I've had the 1.9 130 too, but like the Quattro. Fuel varies somewhat from car to car, but I'm getting an average of 36mpg, but on a longer run can get 40 to 45mpg.

You could always get your 130 mapped to around 175/ 180bhp??

I need a bigger car as I find the A4 a little small.

I had my A6 1.9 TDI re-mapped to 170 and actually fuel economy improved marginally, but the performance difference is very noticeable, just got to make sure the map is done by reputable company using current software and a recognised map.

40 to 45mpg ?!! How the do you manage that? 32mpg around Scotland and now about 30 around Cornwall. Maybe i should drive slower.

I've had to start commuting back and forward 60 miles a day recently (just for a short while whilst I get a project off the ground) and soon got fed up with the amount I was spending on diesel. So, I've taken to driving like a saint - well, in comparison to my usual style anyway - and aim to keep the averages over 36mpg. I achieve it most of the time, unless I get tempted into showing a hot hatch who's boss!

It's a 'fast A road' drive with half a dozen roundabouts to negotiate over the journey, two sections of dual carriageway about 2 miles each, and a 1-way system around the edge of a large town. I'd say a very good example of a 'mixed' tank.

I aim for 36mpg as that would give 600 miles between fill up and the warning beeper going.

It is possible to get into the 40's on a long motorway trip. I managed 700 miles from full to low fuel warning on a drive back from Montpellier last Christmas, which (assuming the buzzer goes about 40 miles from the end) is 41mpg.

Car is a 57 plate A6 3.0 TDi Quattro.

Chris

I remapped my 2.0 TDI A6 when I bought it 2 years ago at chipped UK in Bromsgrove. Best thing ever. On a run it easily gets mid 50's per gallon. Last year I drove at 70 mph all the way back from Surrey (170 miles) and got bang on 60 mpg!!! That was with 3 in the car and a boot full of luggage. I don't think I could get anything of the size and extra grunt (170bhp) that still only costs £155 to tax for the year.........

Right guys, it's a 2.5TDI 180 tiptronic Allroad I'm going for. Will this give just the same MPG as say a 2.5TDI 180 tip Quattro avant as it's basically the same apart from the air suspension? I'm expecting 35mpg combined & a bit more on a run say 40mpg.

Also thought about a remap to improve economy as we are used to getting 48mpg combined out of our A4 1.9 TDI 130. I know I won't get that out of an Allroad but would be nice to improve it a little.