A6 1.8T awt oil pressure light

BigBen

Reaction score
I had the dreaded oil light come on along with bad noise form the cam chain, fearing the worst i removed the cam cover and all is looking ok, no scoring on the cams that god. I have a replacement tensioner on the way and intend to drop the sump to check the pick up pipe.

The breather thing was quite blocked as was the metal pipe that joins it- nothing else has shown any sludge signs including under the cam cover- very clean infact.

Could a failed cam tensioner (electronic type) cause a drop in oil pressure or should i look else where?

are the plastic shoes on the cam chain tensioner ok top and bottom? they break up and fall off.

the strainer on the oil pump pick up can get blocked up with bits of carbon *****. esp. if the cars been on the dreaded longlife servicing.

Get that sump off and clean the strainer, you could practicaly remove the tensioner and the pressure would be un affected.

Also if you choose to run it as is when the tensioner comes you will more likely fubar that one too.

Make sure you change the gasket too, and for shiz and giggles look at the gauze under the tensioner and see how blocked it is

Thanks lads.

The new tensioned is fitted, the old guides were heavily grooved but not broken and the gauze was not blocked.

After fitting ran it for all of 5 seconds and still low oil pressure, the sump will be coming off this weekend and new oil pump going in and strainer cleaned fingers crossed that will save it?

It has full audi history, service intervals have been about 10k.

The car also has dead dash clocks, well all warning lights work but no rev counter or gauges working and with the lights on the dash binacle stays dark- could this be related? I'm thinking new clocks but not sure if they are nightmare to code in? The battery voltage is good so thats not an issue.

Cheers all:search:

Just a wee update. As suggested by many i had blocked oil pick-up strainer. It was blocked solid with little bits of what seemed like hard carbon and slime.

Cleaned it out and changed the oil pump just in-case and she runs great now- very lucky that no permanent damage was done.

Thanks to all who offered advise.