Audi A6 2.5 TDI Quattro - Engine Removal Help (Broken Cam Followers)

Craig!

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I'm looking for a bit of advice, after years of taking over my fathers garage with my own cars and projects it's time for me to repay him by fixing his car, an '03 A6. Basically after making a right 'ole racket last night and some investigation work today it appears the cam followers (arms that the cam shaft rotate onto) have snapped and there is excessive wear on the cams. I have found one of the valve cap's but not the second one so fear it might have dropped into the sump via the return oil ways.

I think the easiest way to attempt this mammoth task would be to drop the engine out from the front, and work on it on an engine stand instead of chewing about with it in situation, the question I have is what's the best way to attempt the removal? I know people will say the head can be removed in situation, but my worry is if I rebuild the head and fire it up there may have been an under lying problem that caused the followers to break and then were back to square one.

So whats the best way to attempt this task? Do I drop the engine and transmission as one or does the box come away from the engine with ease, I've read something before about 2.7 S6's having something to do with the TC causing problems upon removal but don't know if this is the case with the 2.5TDI.

A brief step by step would be great, but I appreciate not everyone has the time for this so just looking for general hints and tip's such as leave the exhaust manifolds on and just disconnect the exhaust at the down pipe flange.

Many thanks for your help, I'll hopefully produce a photo doccumented thread along the way.

Hi Craig.
I had very similar work done to my 2.5 tdi, (AKE engine code) just before i bought it. When i spoke to the tecky that done the job, he did tell me it is a time consuming job but did not require taking the engine out.
The noise on mine was just a top end rattle and on investigation was worn camshafts. I found out afterwards that this is a common issue on this engine code.
He changed cams,elements,followers and belts all with the engine in situ. He also dropped the sump looking for debris.

hope this helps.

its not too difficult but it is time consuming. those little rockers tappets and cams are all designed to wear out. especially on the ake engines having slightly more lift on the cam lobes. later v6 tdis have roller rockers dont you know!

basic guide...... buy a timing kit first!
remove engine cover (easiest bit!)
take the bit of the inlet manifold off that joins to two banks and throttle body.
remove bumper and drop the front forward.
get the viscous fan off... l/h thread!!!
take the timing belt/ aux belt covers off.
take the aux belt off.
take the flywheel off the diesel pump pulley.
time the engine up. using the hole in the diesel pump as the only reference atm. drop the timing pin in the pump.
remove the vac pump out of the back of the n/s head.
remove the bung in the back of the o/s head.
you'll see two slots in the back of the cams drop the timing tools in these.
get underneath, theres a little plastic bung in the side of the block on the n/s. held in with a 10mm bolt remove this and screw in the crank pin.
loosen the three bolts holding the drive pulley on the cam pulley. undo the pump belt tensioner take the belt off. take the pulley off the cam pulley.
take the big casting off the front of the engine.
take the front pulley off. 8 x 6mm allen keys.
pull the tensioner back using the 8mm allen key in the tensioner. put the pin in the damper.
drop the belt off.
undo the center bolts on both cam pulleys use a puller to pop the cam pulleys off.
take the back cam covers off the heads/pump.
undo all the diesel pipes and remove.
undo the leak off pipes (10mm bolt on each). (dont drop the tiny copper washers!)
take the rocker covers off.
undo the plates holding the injectors in.
take the carrier caps off the cams and remove the cams.

do what you will with the rockers cams etc.

reassembly is a reversal of the removal procedure. :)