A6 Wiper linkage

Ianmanchester

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to fix my slow wiper problem. Have seen other peoples posts and how to's, so thought I would give it a go, turns out that I need to replace my drivers side wiper spindle (bit that the wiper arm attaches to). I had to do this following to much hammering in spindle to release it. Problem is you can buy the part on its own, and Audi want £105 for the entire linkage.. not happy, does anyone know where to get it cheaper for?

I've just done same job on mine and drivers side was worst of pair, but think it will be audi or breakers yard for another linkage. Is it splayed due to hammering or snapped?

You might find you still get a good bite on it when you tighten the nut down on in. Or you could try some lock-tight metal on it? Worth a try?

UPDATE

Many thanks for both the replies - I put the offending part in a clamp and carefully sanded down the sides of the bolt where the screw thread is, this removed the 'mushrooming' effect. Forcing the bolt on and using oil I was able to re-grind the screw thread, and after 15mins of trying it was a success.

I have used copper grease in the movement parts (this worked out quite messy), I have since reassembled and all is working fine, the wipers are now upto speed!

If you are reading this and are thinking of sorting your slow wipers don't hammer out the spindles with the force I used. If I was to do this again, I would twist the spindle and lightly tap with a hammer at the same time. The parts from Audi are not £48.00 as suggested by someone on an audi form somewhere, but are infact £102 inc vat!

Problem now resolved.

Nice one. Did mine this time last year, but was straight forward compaired to yours. Mind you, I did spray loads of WD40 over a week to gradually loosen all the metal on metal elements.

Still though, it's saved you a bob or two and the satisfaction of DIY, job well done :thumbsup:

glad it worked out - I used copper grease as well and also replaced the o rings and now check them regularly to stop the same happening again!

Well worth investing in a cheap set of small bearing pullers for this job too.