Badger5Volks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Audi S5 MY2014 (8.5T): 1000 miles review

2nd Gear

Status
    It's a takes huge adjustment in driving styles coming from a manual to S-tronic/Auto gearbox.I'm sure i'f you get it mapped the car will be more to you're liking with the extra power as you say you've done it on previous cars with good results, its just getting used to the S- tronic part of the equation.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTONA500 View Post
    It's a takes huge adjustment in driving styles coming from a manual to S-tronic/Auto gearbox.I'm sure i'f you get it mapped the car will be more to you're liking with the extra power as you say you've done it on previous cars with good results, its just getting used to the S- tronic part of the equation.
    Revo can map the S-Tronic gearbox as well as the ECU so I need to see what this offers beyond adding a bit of extra RPM before change ups, but I think you're right I'm as conditioned to peaky power delivery as I am to full manual gearbox control.

It probably comes across that I'm not that happy with it, I really do love the overall package, I just feel dynamically it's a slightly blunted package (although I get why that will be). No matter what you seem to buy from the VAG group, if you're a serial modder you find yourself thinking 'that could be better'. Thank god for the aftermarket tuning market.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status
    "Serial modder" are the key words,whatever car you buy you're gonna change.The S in the Audi range is an in-between car ,not full on or full off for that matter LoL ,you're just gonna hone the car to make it to more to you're liking not what a manufacturer thinks will suit everyone.

4th Gear

Status
    Warren a question .....

How did you feel about your previous S3's when they were 'stock' from the factory with zero mods ?

That might give a fairer comparison.

Otherwise I do agree that the revo map you discussed a while ago (with supporting mega video) will I am sure unleash the level of performance you desire from the 5.

I was massively anti-auto and would never have considered one before the S5 so agree it does take some adjusting to ... thankfully I do really like it and although not quite a fan for life I would have another but only if inclusive as on the s5.
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

Neutral

Status
    One of the things that has attracted me to the S5 is what you can do to it to improve it. I don't think mine will be staying standard for long. A stage 1 (initially) & gearbox remap are highly likely. I will therefore be very interested to see how you get on.
    Serial modder here too
    warren_S5 and DAYTONA500 like this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
    Warren a question .....

How did you feel about your previous S3's when they were 'stock' from the factory with zero mods ?

That might give a fairer comparison.

Otherwise I do agree that the revo map you discussed a while ago (with supporting mega video) will I am sure unleash the level of performance you desire from the 5.

I was massively anti-auto and would never have considered one before the S5 so agree it does take some adjusting to ... thankfully I do really like it and although not quite a fan for life I would have another but only if inclusive as on the s5.
    Hamstrung. Since the day I passed my test and climbed into my first Polo Mk2 Coupe Sport I thought 'this needs work'.

We had some pretty quick cars in my family as a kid, Daimler Soverign 4.2 V8, Capri Tickford Turbo, Sierra XR4x4 with a turbo technics conversion, Lotus Cortina.... It's in the blood. Cars are manufactured to be fit for Joe Public. Well within tolerance, safe, balanced for understeer, but if you love cars and driving and the vapours of high octane fuel are really in your blood the MOR set up doesn't cut it.

Many people often ask why are you f*****g with a car a manufacturer has spent millions developing! I guess my answer is because I'm taking a one size fits all suit and making it fit like a glove. If your going to spend the money, make it right, otherwise you'll constantly be bouncing between cars looking for Utopia.
    GlynRS2 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S5 View Post
    If your going to spend the money, make it right, otherwise you'll constantly be bouncing between cars looking for Utopia.
    Absolutely
    warren_S5 likes this.

Status
    Hmmmm, this might help (Revo vs. stock S-Tronic map):

Snake Pliskin likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    I like the idea of the higher rpm too - should sound very nice
    warren_S5 and AdamZA like this.

Status
    The car seems to be behaving itself at the moment so it's all looking good for the work to be done.

I've had a very expensive month this month (car arrived), been to France on holiday for best part of a week, ended up at a concert in London on Saturday night at the Royal Festival Hall and ended up having to take the wife to her favourite restaurant as compensation (she's not a big fan of Goldie / James Lavelle), then I've got Goodwood FOS coming up this weekend, the wheel refurb, then the car detail in a couple of weeks, and then the wife's 40th in September (I've got to start saving up as she wants a week in Paris).

Revo are at Goodwood FoS so I'm going to tap them up for a quote for S1+ and see whether I can work a way to squeeze it in at some point without leaving ourselves on Tesco value beans for 3 months.

4th Gear

Status
    You have been busy mate haven't you when you list it all like that

and plenty more to come.

All good though - it is only a matter of time now till you get that map done ... that should be your NEXT / NEW "waiting thread"
    warren_S5, Sandra and Shrek5 like this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
    You have been busy mate haven't you when you list it all like that

and plenty more to come.

All good though - it is only a matter of time now till you get that map done ... that should be your NEXT / NEW "waiting thread"
    Great idea Glenn. Warren lets have another waiting thread, that will make the waiting easier. x
    Snake Pliskin and DAYTONA500 like this.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Status
    I think another one would bankrupt me based on how much I over-spent to distract myself!
    Snake Pliskin likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12