Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Shrek5
  • 1 Post By marshadee
  • 1 Post By dan786

Thread: S5 MY2014: Coming home lights still not working????

Status

Question S5 MY2014: Coming home lights still not working????

Ever since I've got the car (pre-doing any VCDS coding), the coming home lights have never worked.

This is how the car is set up:

1) Main light switch is ALWAYS left on auto
    2) In MMI, the exterior light setting for coming home lights is activated

Last night I went out to get something from the car (10pm'ish) and when I turn the car off the car was just in total darkness. On my S3 there was a delay of 'x' seconds before the lights went out. This was really useful as if you were somewhere dark / unfamiliar it gave you some light for 30+ seconds to sort yourself out / find keys / open front doors etc.

I can't say I noticed whether they came on when I clicked to open the car, but just wondered whether the A5/S5 doesn't do this post closure delay lights (and whether it's only when you are approaching / opening the vehicle), or am I missing something?

Any tips welcomed!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I think it is only the following you get the follow me home lights:
    • Car is locked and you unlock it (with the remote fob)
    • You open the door (keyless entry) from the outside
    • You stop and open the door from the inside.

In your situation was it go to the car and unlock it (lights came on?) rummaged for whatever you needed, locked car, lights went straight off?

Can't remember what mine does in that situation... I think the lights go off but will have to check.
    warren_S5 and DAYTONA500 like this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

Status
    Thanks for the feedback Gareth. I'd extended the Coming Home lights delay yesterday in one of the VCDS menu, but it appears to have done nothing. I'm assuming the delay must be how long they stay on for after you open the car with the keys.

Not a big issue, just one of those nice to haves if it could be engineered in!

With the LEDs it does look a bit bright at night so I may have to tweak the angle on some of the bulbs to dim them slightly. The footwell light were blinding so I had to dial those right back with the ambient lighting control.

Neutral

Status
    Hi Warren,

When I lock my car from the outside my lights stay on for approximately 15-20 seconds before completely turning off. this then would allow me time to see in a dark area.

My lights are always on auto as well.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
    warren_S5 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    hi warren

i dont know if this will help but i had the same problem when i bought my 2012 golf gti gave it back to the dealer a couple of time due to coming home lights not coming on once you turn the car off. they then rang germany vw to find out instruactions on how to make it work and apparently on the newer cars now once you turn the car off when its dark take the key out the ignition, you have to flash the full beams before the coming home lights activate for the designated time you set on the computer. bit daft that you always had to flash the full beams once you get out the car but thats the only way they worked and it also stated that in the hand book once i read it up. so you might want to try that see if you have any luck.
    warren_S5 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Have you set the timer in the MMI menu, you can set it from 0 to 60 sec.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Have you set the timer in the MMI menu, you can set it from 0 to 60 sec.
    You can't in mine, for some reason you can turn it on and off, but I had to use VCDS to adjust the number of seconds unless I'm missing a trick.

Hence why I'm wondering whether it's enabled at all as I don't seem to have this so often mentioned menu which allows time adjustment.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dan786 View Post
    hi warren

i dont know if this will help but i had the same problem when i bought my 2012 golf gti gave it back to the dealer a couple of time due to coming home lights not coming on once you turn the car off. they then rang germany vw to find out instruactions on how to make it work and apparently on the newer cars now once you turn the car off when its dark take the key out the ignition, you have to flash the full beams before the coming home lights activate for the designated time you set on the computer. bit daft that you always had to flash the full beams once you get out the car but thats the only way they worked and it also stated that in the hand book once i read it up. so you might want to try that see if you have any luck.
    Many thanks for sharing, if this is the case then I'm stunned that they've chosen to ruin such an effective system and make it effectively useless.