Chris NottBadger5
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree527Likes

Thread: Warren's S5 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    The rSAP protocol is an interesting issue - I hadn't realised that the S5 would use rSAP. Like Warren though, all my current tech is Apple and I've stuck a Vodafone SIM card in the car. Tempted to see how it works with another phone for a few mins though.

One thing I will advise is watch out for Google Maps - playing around for only a few mins with it used 33MB of data (using a bit of street view and the google maps as navigation maps) - not sure if this was a one off or not but just to be sure I stick with a regular traffic map as if that data usage continued over a month it would shred my data allowance!
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Previous: 2007 Montebello Blue Peugeot 207 Sport 1.6 HDi 90bhp, 2010 Ipanema Blue Peugeot 308 GT 2.0 HDi 140bhp, 2010 Ibis White Audi A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0 TDi 140bhp remapped 204bhp, 2011 Space Grey BMW 325d M-Sport E92 3-series coupe 204bhp remapped 300bhp

Audi S5 Sportback V6T Black Edition - Estoril Blue Picture thread
    Audi S5 Sportback V6T - Sepang Blue {on order} Waiting thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Looks f***ing ace mate! Really do like it, little things like engine bay cap upgrades finish it off and should have been like that from factory....

Sean
    warren_S5 and Sandra like this.
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

3rd Gear

Status
    Missed this thread - just got up to date reading it all and what a car!!

Love the few discreet mods done so far Warren. Think the supercharged badges, engine caps and LEDs are awesome.

Hopefully I can go that step further to an S5 when it's time to chop my S3!
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    Looks f***ing ace mate! Really do like it, little things like engine bay cap upgrades finish it off and should have been like that from factory....

Sean
    Cheers chap, the devils in the detail isn't it. No excuse for a £50k+ car to have plastic caps you'd find on the average Skoda Citigo!

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp84 View Post
    Missed this thread - just got up to date reading it all and what a car!!

Love the few discreet mods done so far Warren. Think the supercharged badges, engine caps and LEDs are awesome.

Hopefully I can go that step further to an S5 when it's time to chop my S3!
    I can heartily recommend it. A good friend of mine took it for a run today who has spent much of his last 10 years in various flavours of VAG 2.0T and he was quite surprised by how good it is (with full ADS pack). The immediacy of the supercharger is superb, and the balance if the car for a fair lump of metal is supreme. The 8V wasn't in the same league hence the move.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Warren I'm curious... I know you have an Apple house and so I'm wondering why you've gone for the USB HDD instead of an iPod connected to the AMI? I would have thought you'd have your iTunes all sorted out perfectly and set up for this kind of thing?
    Previous: 2007 Montebello Blue Peugeot 207 Sport 1.6 HDi 90bhp, 2010 Ipanema Blue Peugeot 308 GT 2.0 HDi 140bhp, 2010 Ibis White Audi A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0 TDi 140bhp remapped 204bhp, 2011 Space Grey BMW 325d M-Sport E92 3-series coupe 204bhp remapped 300bhp

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamZA View Post
    Warren I'm curious... I know you have an Apple house and so I'm wondering why you've gone for the USB HDD instead of an iPod connected to the AMI? I would have thought you'd have your iTunes all sorted out perfectly and set up for this kind of thing?
    More capacity (1Tb), although granted I'm nowhere near filling it, but I've been experimenting with different set ups as I'm not wholly convinced by the B&O. Supposedly the Apple set up converts the digital audio in the iPod to analogue as it leaves the device , then converts it back to digital into the H/U before turning it back to analogue when it outputs to the speakers.if this is the case this double conversion process won't do much for the sound quality. The HDD will output in digital and icancontrol that from a lossless library converted into the ACC format at 320kpbs. In theory it should sound better, and whilst I'm loathed to lose the wifi auto update of new music it's a price worth paying in terms of trying to get the audio up to a standard. Also as I use I pod touch I now have a much better capacity than I did with the 32gb which is getting towards the end of its shelf life. You did ask!
    Sandra likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm also not convinced by the B&O. I wouldn't class myself as an audiophile but I've got a good speaker set up at home and I had a custom sound system in my previous BMW. The B&O is quite poor in comparison with, as you said, the mid-tones and mid-bass not being prominent enough. The only thing I did to tweak it was increase the base on the HU as it covers some of the deficiencies. The B&O needs better mid-range drivers and a dedicated sub to produce real clarity. The tweeters are ok but not fantastic - the sound stage they produce is better than average but, again, not amazing.

I agree with what you are saying about all of the conversions being bad for the output - however with the B&O system I don't think the improvement will be substantial enough to warrant the use of SD cards and HDDs. I'm particular about my library with organisation as well - I like all my playlists to be up to date and play counts as well etc. I just don't think the B&O can do what we want it to and the idea of replacing 15 speakers and putting in a dedicated sub (small, nothing stupid) is a bit daunting.

Let me know how you get on with your set up - I'd be really interested in your findings.

And don't worry - I could also go on about audio for ages :P
    warren_S5 likes this.

Status
    I am tempted to change the B&O sub for a same size JL Audio unit (low current draw, single voice coil) in the future. Something that won't tax the internal amplification too hard.

I'd then Dynamat the rear parcel shelf as I don't think the open mesh configuration allows sub to drive tight / hard, it just resonates giving the impression of bass, but it's woolly.

At home I run a full Dynaudio audience 5.1 system and Focal Sub, and the front speakers are driven through an audiophile amplifier bypassing the AV processor internal amplification. Whilst it's not purist it covers most basis for AV, but the problem is most portable audio and car systems sound so artificial by comparison. In the old days I used to man up and do the full Alpine install, but these days I can't be doing with tearing a new car apart to replace 15 speakers. I'm sure the A6/7/8 system is probably a lot better given it's price, but if I'm honest I've always found the B&O sound a bit soulless on their high end hifi so have steered well clear.

My car audio collection is about 100Gb, with 52 playlists split across mine/wife's preference so it's been a pain replicating it on HDD, not to mention the sorting due to track numbers coming across, but there doesn't seem to be one perfect solution to date other than switching it off and turning the engine sound to dynamic!
    AdamZA likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    See I'm glad you mentioned the number of playlists cos now I'm not embarrassed to say I have 20 all on my own :P

I'm not sure as to the position of the B&O sub otherwise if I could find a same size sub that will fit in the same enclosure then I wouldn't mind adding that on and using a separate amplifier to join it - but my car audio knowledge isn't that great and so I assume it's not as simple as that - for one thing I'm sure the processing from the HU wouldn't be compatible without a harness of some sort and as soon as you get to that stage then all the speakers may as well be changed anyway.

I have a feeling you won't be satisfied with the HDD option but let me know... Is there really a discernible difference between iPod and HDD? And I mean using ears, not logic :P

Status
    My ears are old so they're not a great benchmark! And the car is an imperfect environment for sound. Personally I feel the balance of soundstage is way too high up at head height, and the A pillar tweeters supplemented by the dash tweeter is too much high frequency in a small space. If the secondary tweeter/mid had been placed lower in the door enclosure I think it would have balanced the soundstage and helped to balance the whole thing out. It wouldn't have cured the quality of the drivers, but then I'm convinced they're B&O badged (under license) as the tweeters don't replicate anything they seem to use elsewhere.

The sub is in the boot under the parcel shelf (drivers side). There are a few threads on the web where people have converted to std subs and even built enclosures round them. I don't want to go that far, I'd happily try a better speaker driver but that's it.

1st Gear

Status
    Hmm interesting. I agree that the soundstage is too high. Have you played with the 'surround sound' to compensate a bit? Maybe reduce the treble and tweak the equaliser curve?

Not sure if the placement of the sub is the same in the Sportback but assume it must be at least similar.

If you're anything like me then knowing that the quality is poor will drive you mad but if your ears can't tell the difference then why not save yourself the hassle? :P the HDD must be a PITA to maintain!

5th Gear

Status

DSG / S-tronic

When you're ready Warren, I wouldn't mind reading about your learning experiences with the DSG box.

I went from a 6sp manual, to 6sp wet clutch DSG in mine, to summarise, Days 1,2,3 I thought it was brilliant, Days 4,5,6 I hated it and thought I made a mistake, Week 2 I was lukewarm, started testing how I could catch it out, Week 3, I really started learning how to drive it to get the best out of it, and a month and a half on, I'm still learning how to drive it properly, but beginning to love it again.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Old enough to know better

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamZA View Post
    Not sure if the placement of the sub is the same in the Sportback but assume it must be at least similar
    AFAIK the Sportback sub is located under the spare wheel, so you have the boot floor to dampen it and force the oomph into the surrounding structure. I've driven a Sportback with a bit of AC/DC in the background and I liked what I heard. Good bass coming through the road and engine noise. Clear upper range. I didn't get to play too much with the settings tho.

In my e92 the subs were under the front seats and although other owners slated it, I honestly loved the standard setup.

That said, like Warren, my ears are also old and suffer from Tinnitus. My idea of good sound is my iPhone and a pair of Sennheiser earphones so I'm expecting great improvements in the A5!!
    Current: A5 2.0TDi Sportback Quattro Black Edition : Ibis White : Heated seats : Folding mirrors : Interior light pack : Tech Pack
    Recent Cars: BMW e92 320d Coupe M-Sport : Saab 9-3 1.9TiD Hirsh

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    When you're ready Warren, I wouldn't mind reading about your learning experiences with the DSG box.

I went from a 6sp manual, to 6sp wet clutch DSG in mine, to summarise, Days 1,2,3 I thought it was brilliant, Days 4,5,6 I hated it and thought I made a mistake, Week 2 I was lukewarm, started testing how I could catch it out, Week 3, I really started learning how to drive it to get the best out of it, and a month and a half on, I'm still learning how to drive it properly, but beginning to love it again.
    Hmmmm; it's a tough one as I haven't really done a lot of miles in the first week and a half but I'll give the the best appraisal I can.

I tend to drive it in individual mode, and the engine and gearbox are set to auto (not dynamic). The changes are seamless in general driving around so it's very good from that perspective. It's much easier than constantly clutching and changing gear in traffic (once you turn off the infernal Stop/Start), so again no complaints there.

If I want to have a bit more of a spirited drive I stick it in Dynamic mode and then slot the shifter to the left so I can take care of business. What I don't like is that when your blipping through the gears, unlike a manual which you slot in by hand it's less intuitive (to the touch) and harder to immediately know which gear you're in, only whether it needs to go up or down (based on noise). Where you could rest your hand on a gear knob and know instantaneously without taking your eyes off the road what gear you're in, I find myself having to glance down all the time as I'm never quite sure which gear the system will select if I leave it alone for any length of time. For some reason my head finds that unsettling at the moment as if you go to overtake, aren't sure which gear you're in and drop a cog or two there is always the risk you could drop to too low a gear (if you weren't paying attention).

Where it is exceptional is on fast launch. You get none of the lurching when changing gear that you'd get from a manual as you come on and off the throttle to make the change. My wife says she no longer finds her head tipping back and forwards as a passenger which pleases her, but it is silky smooth. That said, once the acceleration is over it's.... well OK really. I like the fact the paddles are much more quality crafted alloy items than the small cheap feeling plastic ones on cheaper VAG models but that's about as excited as I get. From a safety angle I suppose it's better to have both hands on the wheel at all times from an accuracy of steering input perspective, but I've not really noticed a big change of benefit. A good aspect is the little bark from the car when the revs blip during the gear changes (dynamic) and it makes the car sound a bit more alive, but in other modes it's just a 'white good'.

What I hate is parking on a driveway where you have to go up an elevated kerb as the car labours over the lip as you rise it carefully and once it makes the tipping point it lurches forward at quite a pace. It lacks finesse for parking which isn't great for such a delicate operation. Likewise if you have to reverse up a slope it absolutely hates doing this and you have to give it way more revs than you'd need to in a manual.

As a piece of technology I respect it, but I don't (yet) love it. I've got so sick of people banging on about how (pardon my foul mouth) f*****g brilliant it is and you're a dinosaur if you don't want it. The reality is that STronic is not quite a match for the syrupy rhetoric and lovey bull**** propaganda spouted on the forum. If you're an average driver, not hugely proficient at changing gear or a lazy b*****d then absolutely this is going to be better than you'll ever achieve yourself. It will likely be better at upshifts even if you're a very accomplished driver. But ignore the hype on the forums from owners, it's good but it's not faultless by any means. In efficiency mode the gear changes are diabolically slow, and if it was such a bright system why do I feel the need to intervene so often???

So like you I'm undecided but keeping an open mind that I will learn to drive around the systems few shortcomings. If I have any revelations or change my views on anything I will post them here.
    Last edited by warren_S5; 2nd June 2014 at 15:29.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S5 View Post
    If you're an average driver, not hugely proficient at changing gear or a lazy b*****d then absolutely this is going to be better than you'll ever achieve yourself.
    That's me on both counts. Looking forward to trying it and as my car is 99.9% for commuting it should be better than all that clutch work I do now.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty76 View Post
    That's me on both counts. Looking forward to trying it and as my car is 99.9% for commuting it should be better than all that clutch work I do now.
    Fair shout, to be honest I change gear with my left hand less proficiently than my right as:

a) I'm right handed, and
    b) I learned to drive in europe in left hand drive cars so getting used to RHD was not my greatest love

I think my view on STronic is harsh because I'm sick and tired of people banging on like it's some sort of game changer, it's very good at what it does, but unlike ABS or traction control I wouldn't necessarily miss it if it wasn't there. Arguably I may even enjoy a spirited drive a bit more as I'd have to put a bit more effort in. I'm half tempted to start using the gear shift lever rather than the paddles to get back closer to the stick shift experience, but then when I did try it I'm sure the +/- felt back to front in terms of the way they've set it up (based on my brains reckoning).
    Last edited by warren_S5; 2nd June 2014 at 15:41.
    veeeight likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Think I broadly agree with you, particularly your assessment of the 'infernal stop start'. What gets me is it's active even in dynamic mode, which is properly annoying when you roll up to some lights (having forgotten to deactivate it) looking for a quick start and it dies on you just as the lights change... it's very quick to reactivate but even so there is just that momentary lag.

Economy mode from the ADS feels like all the POWWWWEEEERRRRR has been stolen. A very strange sensation pushing the pedal and not getting much of a response especially when you are used to what it can do normally.

The way I see it is, the s-tronic is pretty good at the majority of things (cruising, fast upshifts at speed) but can be a bit dim at certain things - even parking normally (i.e. not having to go up a kerb) isn't as smooth as with a manual.

For me all the benefits outweigh the negatives, lets face it most of the time I'm either stuck in traffic where an auto is ideal or pressing on, where there isn't much wrong with it. I certainly won't be rushing back to a manual anytime soon...
    warren_S5, scotty76 and DAYTONA500 like this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S5 View Post
    Fair shout, to be honest I change gear with my left hand less proficiently than my right as:

a) I'm right handed, and
    b) I learned to drive in europe in left hand drive cars so getting used to RHD was not my greatest love
    Reminds me of a track day where I got to drive a stripped out LHD Clio (roll cage, sequential shifter), for the most part it was fine banging through the gears with my right hand but there was one comedy moment where I went to grab the shifter with my left hand and flapped around in fresh air momentarily looking for the stick...
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

3rd Gear

Status
    Well early days for me, but I have to say i much prefer the S-tronic with a Petrol engine.
    My last car, 3.0TDi was S-tronic and although i really liked it, the hesitation, whilst it thought about it,
    pulling away from roundabouts, use to drive me mad - always ended-up flipping to sport which was slightly better.

I reserved the right to change my opinion in the near future but at the moment i really like it! ..and yes i fall into the lazy Barsteward category above.

Only problem is the design flaw with the gear knob.....got in the car on Sunday and burnt my hand on the metal...ouch too hot!
    Shrek5 likes this.
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Well early days for me, but I have to say i much prefer the S-tronic with a Petrol engine.
    My last car, 3.0TDi was S-tronic and although i really liked it, the hesitation, whilst it thought about it,
    pulling away from roundabouts, use to drive me mad - always ended-up flipping to sport which was slightly better.
    That's interesting you say that as I found exactly the same with my previous A5 SB 3.0TDi, what age was it? Mine was a October 2009 (one of the first Sportbacks) and it was always very dim at the roundabout or a junction where you didn't quite come to a full stop. I'm still not sure what makes the difference, the fact it's a petrol or that they've had time to refine the DSG.

Either way in the S5 (and 4 by the sounds of it) it's a good step forwards.

Status
    I think they have done some evolution of the gearbox mappings, but I haven't driven enough of the early ones to know how bad the difference was.

I'm hoping to drive Revo's DSG remapped car when I get back from holiday so intrigued to see what they have managed to do with it that Audi haven't (might just hold gears for longer).

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine was 2011, didn't give me the confidence to pull-out at first, but you just get use to it and adapt.

So far, so good, just assumed it was a diesel thing, but I guess as you say its been refined.

4th Gear

Status
    Fair to say I have adapted and taken to s-tronic surprisingly well.

The S5 is my 1st (auto) and if a manual had been available I would have for sure gone for that ... but mainly down to cost as I could not justify spending £2k on auto for the few miles a year I cover, plus I was never sold on the auto and preferred manuals.

Enjoyed the 'auto' on the demo from the dealership and if I wanted an S5 it was that or nothing so went for it.

Glad I have, as at least I get to try an auto now and my feelings now are that I like it but not to the degree that I would now pay £2k for it .. my feelings have not changed on that count.

If I wanted a future car which was S-tronic only then now I would be happy with that as agree with all the + points above and yeah its great to just sit back and cruise - there is a part of the S5 which makes you want to sit back in the super sports seat and just 'rapidly' make progress on the road, but in a controlled way and let the car take care of all the gear changes ... my wife also likes the fact that there are no manual gear change lunges lol ... BUT - she does not like it so much when I gun it off the start line and complains of it making her stomach feel sick ha ha it is quick off the line.

I tend not to bother with manual gears or changes and just let the car get on with it either in regular drive or dynamic .. there is no doubt a BIG difference between the two but I only select S for overtaking as it feels like its on its toes and the acceleration is much more aggressive and instant in S ... its too much for town driving - but in D its superb and silky smooth.

So overall I am VERY happy with the transition to S-tronic and would have another ... but I still love manuals in addition to the £2k saving

never had an issue with overtaking though, there is so much power in S that you can overtake so quickly .. and its kinda an event as the noise amplifies as you drop down a few gears too ha ha !
    warren_S5 and Shrek5 like this.
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

5th Gear

Status
    My observations about setting off from roundabouts:

In D, if you are at all rolling, it will always try to set off in D2, no matter how slow you are rolling. This of course has less acceleration that D1, so it feels slow, or it feels like hesitation.

The 3 ways to overcome this is to either push down more on the accelerator to get it going (there is enough oomph in D2 with a longer accelerator pedal travel), or, to ensure that it is in M1 when setting off, or set off in S1 !!

The other "panic" situation is when you're at red traffic lights, and you've knocked it into "N". Then, the lights change without you noticing, and all of a sudden, you spot green, panic, shift into "D" and accelerate. In this instance, the gearbox will set off in 2nd. The video below explains why:

Keef, warren_S5, Digzz and 3 others like this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Status
    Actually now you come to mention it I've had one or two of these episodes and I thought I may not have been kicking down hard enough (after years of driving turbo cars I've got used to logarithmic pedal sweep rather than putting the pedal through the bulkhead).

I've been caught out at a couple of sets of traffic lights, so that video was useful.

4th Gear

Status
    That is a great video & nice find thanks.

Never been caught out myself at the lights though ... Why would you shift into 'park' at the lights though ?

I either put foot on brake or if there for a while just engage the parking brake and with both these methods car always starts off in 1st gear.

In fact just applied a 'rapid' lights start just yesterday
    Anticipated a Merc across from me other direction intending to cut in front of me cross my path into road to my left, I was going left too, he wanted to be 1st yeah right.

Select S and off the line like a frickin limpet and he had to put his anchors on cheeky b*****d !
    He learned his lesson - no speed limits broken, no danger to road goers or pedestrians just had to make sure I had my right of way and was not cut up ... In that scenario, s mode a tronic worked a treat oh yeah

Status
    And such a lovely green laced brogue in the video too, the Yanks know how to dress for the occasion!

So rules to remember:

1) Decelerate slightly before dropping a gear to overtake (so input shaft speed can synchronise)
    2) If moving from P to D, allow 2 seconds before kicking down to allow the gearbox to engage gear 1 which is on the alternative shaft to R/2 which is initially engaged

I'll file that alongside the other useless rubbish my brain holds on to for no good reason (e.g. the psychedelic opening circus scene from Girl on a Motorcycle film from the 1960's)

1st Gear

Status
    I was smugly thinking I knew how to use the s-tronic box (I mean it's an auto but how hard can it be! ) but watching that video was actually informative and assuming it carries over to the UK/S5 box learnt a couple of things.

First the slight deceleration before selecting a lower gear, but the second one which was more useful for me was the holding the upshift paddle for a second to put it back into full auto. I find that occasionally after a short burst in manual it can hang on in manual mode for little longer than expected so if this works that would be good.
    Keef, warren_S5 and AdamZA like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Agree - that was a good video. Great find!

5th Gear

Status
    If I'm at a set of 4 way lights, where I'm going to be sat at Red for more than a minute, I tend to nudge the lever into N.

This saves a little wear on the clutches, as, depending how hard you've got your foot on the brake, it's either holding the clutch at the bite point, or there is a little clamping pressure applied to the clutch pack.

Nudging it into N at lengthy red lights just saves a little wear

A couple more DSG Top Tips can be found here:
    Lots of new things to try!

I tend to think of driving DSG as a game, you have to employ tactics to win at it !!
    warren_S5 and AdamZA like this.

1st Gear

Status
    I tend to shift into P because a set of lights takes forever to change and if I begin to take pressure off the brakes then the start stop will start the engine again. Still, half the time I engage the start stop and shift to P, it starts again...

I had an A3 Saloon courtesy car while they were busy damaging my paintwork and the start stop seemed much more refined and less stupid...

Status
    Hmmm..... talking of stop start, if I turn it off with the switch, then come to a stand still I still get a slight change in the revs after it comes to rest like it's assuming readiness for stop start. The revs drop, settle for a split second, then just drop 50rpm further as if it's contemplating readiness for S/S.

4th Gear

Status
    Guys ... not sure if any of you do this or not but it is something I do (rightly or wrongly) ...

If I come up to a set of lights and anticipate only being there for a few seconds then I just keep foot on the brake pedal before setting off.

If I anticipate being there longer, ie if the lights have just changed to red, then I leave it in D and apply the parking brake ... this keeps the drive in D and does not allow the engine to cut off, then when the lights change just press the accelerator and the brake disengages automatically and off you go ... its all very neat and and smooth and means you get away at the exact point you want to.

I started doing this as a means of ensuring I am not sat at the lights for up to a minute with the guy behind me glaring at my brake lights, particularly in rain and or at night.
    AdamZA likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
    Guys ... not sure if any of you do this or not but it is something I do (rightly or wrongly) ...

If I come up to a set of lights and anticipate only being there for a few seconds then I just keep foot on the brake pedal before setting off.

If I anticipate being there longer, ie if the lights have just changed to red, then I leave it in D and apply the parking brake ... this keeps the drive in D and does not allow the engine to cut off, then when the lights change just press the accelerator and the brake disengages automatically and off you go ... its all very neat and and smooth and means you get away at the exact point you want to.

I started doing this as a means of ensuring I am not sat at the lights for up to a minute with the guy behind me glaring at my brake lights, particularly in rain and or at night.

That's what I do, always leave it in D - plus you can stop the car on the foot brake without pressing the pedal enough to activate the S/S, then flip the parking brake and the engine keep running as normal. My last car didn't have S/S but have always left it in D and used the parking brake...dealer told me to do that??

1st Gear

Status
    I do this sometimes as well - mainly when the stop start doesn't engage. One other thing to note is that stop start all only kicks in when you're pressing hard on the brake pedal. If you just hold it lightly to stop the car from moving, the stop start doesn't engage.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    That's what I do, always leave it in D - plus you can stop the car on the foot brake without pressing the pedal enough to activate the S/S, then flip the parking brake and the engine keep running as normal. My last car didn't have S/S but have always left it in D and used the parking brake...dealer told me to do that??
    Beat me to it Keef!

Status
    So based on veeeights post above, won't holding it in D with the parking brake not wear the clutches more???

1st Gear

Status
    I think the parking brake is designed to not keep the car at the biting point even in drive - you always need to apply the accelerator to move off to disengage the parking brake.

Maybe I'm wrong though...

I'm going to compare the revs in park/hand brake and park/drive to try and discern.
    warren_S5 and Snake Pliskin like this.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah ... gently apply the footbrake so you are fully stationary, then engage the parking brake and you HEAR and FEEL the brakes apply all round, then take foot of the brake pedal.

Light tap on the accelerator and brakes free off and you are away smoothly in 1st gear.

Can't see this wearing the clutches greatly (if at all) but I am no mechanic.

Either way, I'm sure it won't be an issue over the 3 years I will have the car.

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    Warren.... The car is looking schweeeet!!!

Lots of nice changes you've got going on.

As one of the few people I know who has an Audi with the engine sound you might be interested in this. Bit gimicky but I quite like it :D

Tim - Project & Marketing Manager of Advanced In-Car Technologies LTD. An Audi Approved OEM / Retrofit Specialist Company. All views expressed are my own and bear no reflection on Advanced In Car Tech.

Audi A3 For Sale: 2011 Audi A3 1.8TFSI Black Edition. Low Mileage. Great Condition. Manuf Warranty
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-wanted-audi-cars/219560-sale-2011-audi-a3-1-8tfsi-black-edition-low-mileage-great-condition-manuf-warranty.html