Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree527Likes

Thread: Warren's S5 Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    I'll make sure I swing by there sometime, certainly looks like a nice place to be!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I usually don't even like black cars but that. Is. STUNNING.
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Previous: 2007 Montebello Blue Peugeot 207 Sport 1.6 HDi 90bhp, 2010 Ipanema Blue Peugeot 308 GT 2.0 HDi 140bhp, 2010 Ibis White Audi A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0 TDi 140bhp remapped 204bhp, 2011 Space Grey BMW 325d M-Sport E92 3-series coupe 204bhp remapped 300bhp

Audi S5 Sportback V6T Black Edition - Estoril Blue Picture thread
    Audi S5 Sportback V6T - Sepang Blue {on order} Waiting thread

Status
    VCDS Modifications

Right, I've had the car a couple of days so it was time to take VCDS out and give it an airing.

I've done a few basic mods to the car which include the following:

1) enabled the detailed MMI submenu so I can enable other functions
    2) enabled permanent footwell ambient lighting (whenever auto lights come on)
    3) enabled door lock/unlock horn confirmation chirps (security measure - means I could hear if someone opened the car to thieve it whilst in the house)

The last piece of the jigsaw I wish to address is coming home lights. On the S3 I could amend how long they stayed on after locking the car (1-60secs). I can't find a menu for this in the S5 convenience modules. I may also enable battery voltage monitoring.

Haven't been able to see footwell lighting to see if it works yet as it's not dark, but chirps work.

Shrek, I had the same 'message' as your car when I enabled chirps. Thankfully I haven't noted any issues yet so I'll keep an eye on it.
    Rich M likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S5 View Post
    Was out with family yesterday, and whilst out with the nephew taking him out for some time away from the XBOX I managed to grab a couple of cheeky photos of the S5 with a slightly more pleasant background. Not the best as they are phone photos.

Side shot looks awesome. Supercharged badges adds that little extra too
    warren_S5, Sandra and DAYTONA500 like this.
    Audi S4 Avant 3.0TFSI Quattro Black Edition

Status
    Warren did my eyes deceive me, you actually had a dry day out with the car? Looks awesome. Im sure your still grinning. Enjoy to the max. x
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

3rd Gear

Status
    The last piece of the jigsaw I wish to address is coming home lights. On the S3 I could amend how long they stayed on after locking the car (1-60secs). I can't find a menu for this in the S5 convenience modules. I may also enable battery voltage monitoring.
    Did you try adaptions in VCDS?

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

2nd Gear

Status
    Attachment 34067

Attachment 34066

Finally had a bit of a shot at cleaning the old girl this morning. I was out before 6am as the temptation of the sun shining in this dreary country was to great an opportunity to pass up.

Have no photo editing software handy to obscure the plates so just a side **** for now. I've started the process of glossing up the rotors. When they are matte the dirt seems to cling to them and just soak into them, when they're polished they pop a bit more on the car and repel the dirt far better (just a jet wash required to remove the worst).

A light coating of Black Light to repel the worst until it goes in for a full detail at some point in the coming weeks.
    Warren how did you "gloss" up those Rotors they look really shiny, is it some secret product you used
    warren_S5 likes this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_trev View Post
    Did you try adaptions in VCDS?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by DAYTONA500 View Post
    Warren how did you "gloss" up those Rotors they look really shiny, is it some secret product you used
    Brillo pad and grinding paste ;-)
    Sandra and DAYTONA500 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes

Brillo pad and grinding paste ;-)
    That's been around for years and something the older generation would use
    warren_S5 likes this.

Bazinga

Status
    Ha ha I used a Brillo pad the other week !! Hey tomorrow I'll be 21 again, so wouldn't know about the older generation.
    warren_S5 and DAYTONA500 like this.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

Status
    INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHTING CONTROL (3G MMI HIGH FL MODELS)

Thought I'd share this as this isn't as straightforward as earlier cars:

1 - Using VCDS
    To enable Ambient Lighting.

[09 – Cent. Elect.]
    [Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 16 Bit 6 - Set this bit manually to "1" - (1 = active) - there is a checkbox for this on latest version of VCDS so you can check it rather than change coding string.

Now (if you haven't done it previously) unlock the hidden menu for the MMI 3g and activation of the footwell lighting

Select STG 5F (Infotainment)
    Adaptation 10
    Channel number 06 set to to "1"

You've now done with VCDS so turn that off as we need to access the next set up changes via the MMI unit:

2 - Using hidden MMI Menu
    The Hidden Menu is enabled using combination of the following keys 'Menu' & 'Car' (both keys together), and hold down for about 4-5 seconds until 'green menu' appears.

To enable Interior Light in MMI Hidden Menu

-> car -> cardevicelist

-> car -> carmenuoperation -> Interior Light -> value to 5

FOR the new facelift models (2012 onward) you must also make the following change:

-> car / carbusassignment (set the value of interior light to CAN comfort set by scrolling the options - there are many)

3 - Perform MMI reset

MMI reset (facelift) Press and hold the function button -1 - (Menu), the confirmation button -2 -, as well as the navigation button -3 -. simultaneously The MMI then goes down and restarts Takes about 60 seconds.)

When the system reboots you should be confronted with a menu in the MMI like this (In the Car systems menu)

If you do it wrong (like I did last night), it will look like this:

And voila you have permanent LED footwell lighting (which uses very little energy). I changed Audi's single LED bulb to Trups' 4 LED version to give a bit more light. Will report on what that is like in due course.

Last edited by warren_S5; 27th May 2014 at 13:17.
    ScottD3 and CHEZ like this.

4th Gear

Status
    Was out with family yesterday, and whilst out with the nephew taking him out for some time away from the XBOX I managed to grab a couple of cheeky photos of the S5 with a slightly more pleasant background. Not the best as they are phone photos.

Looks fantastic

So a few days living with and driving the car ... how are you finding it compared to the S3 ?
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
    Looks fantastic

So a few days living with and driving the car ... how are you finding it compared to the S3 ?
    There is a small segment of me that is very fond of the S3. It punches well above it's weight with a few carefully chosen modifications, and when it's packing over 350bhp+ it can be a real weapon, however.....

The S5 feels like a completely different animal. For not a great deal more it delivers on quite a few different fronts. Firstly it's class, I've not had one negative comment from anyone who has seen it in the flesh, whereas so many people thought the S3 was just an A3, people seem to notice this is car packs more authority (even the car luddites). People keep saying (and I'm over 40!), "oh you've gone and got a grown up car now", and that's kind of how it feels. When you drive it, it feels different. It's slightly more stately, more cosseting, more luxurious, and whereas the S3 was short on toys this thing is bursting at the seams.

It's definitely quieter for cruising, and more relaxing as you're not turning 3,500 rpm anymore to do 75mph (instead around 2,000). The silky nature of the gearbox means my wife's neck doesn't get whiplashed when I accelerate hard out of junctions. I'm still not 100% sold on S-Tronic, it's very good at some things but less good at others (tight parking and reversing up hill to name two). Also in comfort modes it occasionally needs a kick up the arse (e.g. kickdown) whereas I prefer a logarithmic pedal swipe which doesn't do much!

I've warmed slightly to the B&O, but there is still an issue with the tweeters and mids in the front being overly prominent due to positioning. The rest of the MMI system is intuitive and pretty much a joy to use.

The interior just blows people away, whether it's to look at or sit in. I've never felt so hugged by a seat now that I've got it pitch perfect. It's taken 4 days to get it there, but now it feels like a tortoise shell on my back and I love it. The memory is a godsend too as wifey and I couldn't have more different driving positions.

The VCDS coding is more complex to fathom (esp. with the deep 'green' menu), but then that's to be expected as there is more tech modules. I'm slowly getting my head round it, but it's hard.

Curry bag hooks in the boot are ace, and the boot has ample room so despite being a coupe you don't feel like you're missing out on much other than a bit of boot height.

The engine is a peach. Yes the soundaktor adds to the drama, but when you drop it into Drive (Manual) and use the paddles it's just fantastic how it goes. Off the line its devastatingly quick, and the only area the S3 S2+ held a candle to it is in the mid range to just beyond legal limit.

Having rotors is another blessing. With spacers they're easier to clean than just about any wheel I've ever used. And with the dish on them they look bigger than they are too. Spaced out, and now the car is starting to settle itself on the suspension it looks nice (if a tad too high), but I can live with it. I'd love 20" V spokes, but I do love the ride on 19's so I may consider 19's.

Whilst I'm singing it's praises, it did need the LED light conversion to bring it up to date in the interior. The old bulbs just made it feel to country club for me. If I could have only chosen one mod to kick off, it would have been that as it now feels 'modern' inside. The spacers just make the stance 'right', as I hate wheels tucked under arches.

So on balance I'm incredibly happy, and even more happy I chose to step up to S5 rather than go for S3 8V. With the 'proper' Quattro, diffs and longer wheelbase it just feels such a joy to drive fast on a snaking A/B road, and not in the least bit boaty. All the revision changes have made a hell of a difference from the older model I drove.
    Ash B, Inked, CHEZ and 6 others like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Good write up there Warren and pretty much mirrors how I feel about the S5 too...
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

4th Gear

Status
    That is great to hear mate and as Shrek says pretty much mirrors how the S5 makes us all feel.

The interior is just sheer class and never ceases to impress.
    It is a wonderful place to sit and drive the car from isn't it.
    The luxury 'enhancement' from S3 / TTS feels like a quantum leap doesn't it (old models anyway).

The seats, well, now you REALLY do know what all the shouting was about
    Stupid levels of comfort and support or what from these babies - and they look great visually !

The car does feel grown up I agree - but with the power and agility, it is no barge as you rightly point out.

Oh yeah, the alloys are crazy easy to clean aren't they - AND - being don't they hide the dirt so well.
    Cleaned mine at the weekend and amazed how lighter the rotors were behind the brake dust after a few hundred miles driving last week.

As for s-tronic, I really like it and first one I have had - but would not have paid circa £2k for it (think you are the same on this).
    I don't do enough miles to justify that - but as a 'freebie as such ' built into the price of the car, I am enjoying it.
    It does make motorway trips a breeze, allied to the seat comfort, low rpm and low wind noise no question.

So all in all, sounds like you are very happy ......... well who couldn't be with a magnificent S5

edit ....

one thing I am STILL drawn to is the amazing design of the DRL's ... you enjoying catching the reflection of those babies too ?
    Rear lights aren't too shabby either
    warren_S5, DAYTONA500 and AdamZA like this.
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

6th Gear

Status
    Congrats on the new car Warren Looks lovely. Love the interior combo as well! That front end
    Always wanted those front seats Sounds like you've enjoyed it over the last few days.
    Have Fun
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash B View Post
    Congrats on the new car Warren Looks lovely. Love the interior combo as well! That front end
    Always wanted those front seats Sounds like you've enjoyed it over the last few days.
    Have Fun
    Indeed I have Ash. Loved the S3 but the time had come to move on! Hopefully not too long till we can cross paths at either AITP or ADI, be good to see the DTM in the flesh. Thanks for the kind words chap; you take care & see you soon.

5th Gear

Status
    Lovely car Warren, at long last, the wait has been worthwhile!

But but.... a Personalised Palte?! What would PA say !!!!
    warren_S5 likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    Lovely car Warren, at long last, the wait has been worthwhile!

But but.... a Personalised Palte?! What would PA say !!!!
    I only got one to rial him ;-)
    veeeight likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Hi Warren , loving the car and the choice of Mods. I’d never even thought about the interior lighting before.

One point , and apologies if I’ve missed the sarcasm / irony, Polishing your alloys ???
    Brillo Pad and grinding Paste ? Really ???????????

I remember, back in the day, taking a Brillo Pad to a set of alloys on a Mk2 RS2000.
    The initial finish was mirror like , but as I’d removed all trace of lacquer, they proceeded to corrode beyond recognition.
    Chalk that down to , idiot with enthusiasm
    '10 A5 2.0 FSi S-line Quattro Spec Edd, Phantom Black, Leather, B&O Sound, 19" types, Cruise Cont, Blue Tooth phone prep. Mods Pending
    '12 Q3 2.0 TDi (177) S-Line Quattro , Sat Nav, Leather, Privacy, (Sold - was not a fan)
    05' A4 (B7) 2.0 T FSI SE Quattro , Silver, Sat Nav, Leather, Auto Xenon, Centre Armrest, After Market Additions, 30mm lower Eibach Springs, 18" RS4 Replica Alloys, Chrome Mirrors, Super Chiped. (SOLD and Missed).

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    Hi Warren , loving the car and the choice of Mods. I’d never even thought about the interior lighting before.

One point , and apologies if I’ve missed the sarcasm / irony, Polishing your alloys ???
    Brillo Pad and grinding Paste ? Really ???????????
    I'm a bare faced liar!

Farecla G3 on the inside edge of the rim (the bit you can't really see). The outer faces I did with a Megs Scratch X, then polished up with their paint restorer. Not the approved 'detailer' approach, but they looked far better afterwards by my eye (and similar approach to one of the 'older' RS3 owners on the forum!). Then I sealed them with Chemical Guys wheel sealant.

The Brillo pad comment is a long running joke in the S5 section due to quality of main dealer cleaning / prep work!

I find the wheels stay looking cleaner for longer, are easier to clean when they get dirty, and against black cars tend to look more lustrous whereas they can look very flat when dirty. Once I've cleaned them up again (whenever this infernal bloody rain ends - likely never!) I'll get some close up shots. As I did it by hand I can attest it's not a job for the indolent or those who are short on time!

Status
    Been trying out the DVD functionality tonight:

Sound is actually more impressive for film than music TBH which was good. All those hours sat waiting for ferries at Portsmouth and St. Malo will now be less boring (must remember to enable battery level meter in VCDS).

Also got the mobile data working, but that wasn't as straightforward as it should be.

Vodafone 3G Data SIM for mobile broadband use (e.g. data sim, not voice).

Install it, signal shows on the screen as 3G, but cannot connect to 'Connect' services. So I try connecting my phone to Car Wifi and nothing.....?

So in the end I go into SIM properties and it turns out (compressing the story after loads of fiddling), that the carrier data is not imported correctly into the head unit from the SIM.

The settings are these (for VF PayG Data SIM):

APN: pp.vodafone.co.uk
    Username: web
    Password: web

However the auto imported settings are WRONG! It doesn't add the pp. at the front of the APN address and until I did none of the connect services (local fuel prices / google maps / web connectivity) worked. Worth noting if you connect to a VF data tariff SIM on PayG and I found it completely by accident.

Google maps looks OK, but not used it in anger so can't report how good or otherwise it is as yet. Really interested to see how the data usage on the SIM mounts up over a month (I have 1GB of data allowance in the kitty).
    Last edited by warren_S5; 29th May 2014 at 07:55.

1st Gear

Status
    Warren, I assume Voda will allow you to see how much of your allowance you have used but if they don't there is an option in the MMI somewhere to show how much data the onboard SIM has used.

Also, the other question I had was... does the disklok work and do you think there are any issues using one longer term? If it fits I will likely get one if only for use whilst sat at home where it is probably most vulnerable to a planned attack.
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

Status
    Re: Voda sim, if I had it in an iDevice they do a nice little app which tells you, dittos for mobile BB, but in the head unit I'm at the mercy of reading the MMI stats. I have a quick link in my phone to the log in page for top ups.

The disklok in horrible, but for essential days like in London, parking at home for weeks at a time I think it's a pre-requisite requirement given the current state of thefts. Appreciate we're not currently in a hotspot, but doesn't mean they won't start travelling when they run out. I don't think it will cause any long term ill effects. If you do it with an element of compassion and not in a rush you're fairly safe. I'll get a photo of it on at some point, but next time we hook up you can have a go at fitting / removing it on mine.

3rd Gear

Status
    Warren

Funny, I was going to ask you if you'd played with SIM/online services etc...

I assume you have an iPhone? I believe it now gives you the option of using the phone for call when parried?

As for the SIM, I was going to get a prepaid EE card (its annoying the data allowance only lasts 30 days - but I guess that's cos they want you to buy more!). I, perhaps naively, thought you just popped the SIM in and away you go - so thanks for the heads-up!
    Its pointless asking my dealer things like this.
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S4 Avant quattro Black Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Warren

Funny, I was going to ask you if you'd played with SIM/online services etc...

I assume you have an iPhone? I believe it now gives you the option of using the phone for call when parried?

As for the SIM, I was going to get a prepaid EE card (its annoying the data allowance only lasts 30 days - but I guess that's cos they want you to buy more!). I, perhaps naively, thought you just popped the SIM in and away you go - so thanks for the heads-up!
    Its pointless asking my dealer things like this.
    Hi Keef, yup iPhone user so the update to allow phone to take calls is welcome.

Here's a shot of where you have to check the data card settings:

And a shot of the Connect services (I was going to add one of Google maps but that would lead the dirty robbers straight to my front door!)

Keef likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks Warren

I was going to add one of Google maps but that would lead the dirty robbers straight to my front door!good point!
    That's why I never store home as 'home' under navigation!

In terms of the 'make calls using' screen - do you have to set this every time you get in the car or does this now default?

Also are you going to be at GTI inters? its right on my door step - but that's the weekend I'm booked in with Nick @DMC.
    Might see if I can get down there on Saturday

Cheers
    Keef

Status
    Phone defaults to what ever settings you set initially so no additional need to re-enter.

I'm going to try and get to GTI on the Saturday but June is so busy for us we may not make it. It must be a 160+ mile round trip for us, so convincing the missus there aren't better things to be doing is hard!

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Just 160miles?
    I'd love 160mile round trip to a show.
    Beats the 360 to Inters or the 480 to AITP.

You have no right to moan about miles.

Think you should get it down the strip any way.
    Last edited by ScottD3; 29th May 2014 at 14:57.
    Keef and warren_S5 like this.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    Warren

Sorry mate - one more question RE: SIM, did you have to activate the SIM. can this be done through the car?

I'm thinking of one of these - EE 4G 6GB Mobile Broadband Combi Sim, £17.79 and lasts 90 days

1st Gear

Status
    Keef, the other suggestion I had for Warren is go for something like a GiffGaff PayG SIM and instead of (in GiffGaff speak) buying a 'Gigabag' simply stick a tenners worth of credit on there (doesn't expire after a month) and see how long it takes you to use it up. On GiffGaff it costs you 20p per day for up to 20MB of usage which might well see you through depending on the types of journey you do, and how often you do them. After that 20MB it's 20p/MB so could get expensive, but at least you are limited by the credit on the SIM.
    Keef and warren_S5 like this.

Status
    Keef, I had to enable this Mobile BB SIM using a handset first, not just through the head unit. I got an activation code I had to enter to make it work. After this I could then take it out of the phone & use it.

I then had to set up an online account with VF to make payments to as and when required.

I also had to get a micro-sim to sim converter from a local mobile phone shop as VF don't offer full size sim.

The whole thing was a malarky if I'm honest, but then if utility companies made it easy then we would get duped into big bills and the need for additional accessories!

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Warren

How long did your Autostyle mats take from order to delivery? I've just placed an order for some for my B7.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Status
    Funny you should ask that! Ages. And reason it's odd you should ask, Rich (S4) PM'd me the same question today.

Took 2 weeks, but I reckon it would have been longer if I hadn't called them. The day after I called they miraculously arrived the next day!

I recommend a nudge, it helps (a polite enquiry!).
    jdp1962 likes this.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Thanks, that's handy to know.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2nd Gear

Status
    Warren_S5 have you tested the WiFi hotspot via sim feature by any chance?

So for example if you had a passenger with a laptop they can connect to the cars WiFi to use the sim's data.
    Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS Owner - Lincolnshire & Humber Area

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaz View Post
    Warren_S5 have you tested the WiFi hotspot via sim feature by any chance?

So for example if you had a passenger with a laptop they can connect to the cars WiFi to use the sim's data.
    Yes you can - the wifi hotspot acts like any other - regularly have my phone and both the kids laptops on the go in the car.

I'm using an HTC One and have rSAP enabled - so the car uses my phone sim via bluetooth as a carphone, but then my phone connects back to the car for data via a wifi connnection.
    warren_S5 and AdamZA like this.
    S5 Supercharged V8 Coupe - Meteor Grey / Magma - click for build thread - Facebook Page

TTS Supercharger (601PS / 664Nm) | Capristo Exhaust | KW DDC Coilovers | JHM Short-Throw Shifter | RS5 bootlid
    HRE P104 21x10.5" + PSS | Ceramics (R8 GT Front / S7 Rear) | RS5 bumper/grille | custom stereo and lots more | Fuelly

Status
    Ditto, wife used it for iPad on way to train station yesterday and it seemed OK. As it's a 3G SIM it's not broadband quick, and Google maps can take a bit of time to come up with good resolution but it's a good step in the right direction.

As I have iPhone despite having 4G (and my local area offering 4G signal) the rSAP issue meant I'd have had to go with a different phone manufacturer to get the facility, but as my home is connected up with Airport Express for music etc. and all my hardware is Apple it didn't make sense changing phones just for the extra compatibility.

1st Gear

Status
    The car would still only deliver 3G speeds though AFAIK. I think the new A/S3's are 4G capable, but they might be doing it differently (e.g. car connects to the phone as a hotspot or similar).
    warren_S5 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Decent 3G should be quick enough for loading google maps.

Not sure on your contract terms Warren but I would try another carrier if possible. I had a work Voda sim and found their 3G network one of the slowest. Using the SpeedTest app is good way to check. I then moved over to Three and it was significantly better. Can also recommend EE/Orange/TMobile.
    Last edited by dpaz; 30th May 2014 at 22:44.
    Genuine Ross-Tech VCDS Owner - Lincolnshire & Humber Area