Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 75 of 75
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: New A5 or stick with my A4?

  1. #41
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162
    Yep! :D
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    dieselguy's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Camb
    Posts
    142
    Thats a very nice looking car! Perfect timing with the weekend starting….

  4. #43
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162
    Cheers, let's just hope we have some sunshine!
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

  5. #44
    ben.w93's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Devon/Cardiff
    Posts
    213
    Interesting read, just done a similar swap, from an A4 (B7) to and A5, being a generation ahead, the car is smoother, quicker and quieter, but I'm sure I will kick myself at some point for getting a coupe and ditching the Avant and favoring looks overt practicality, doing building work and playing with properties means an avant is more useful, but I have a nice old Land Rover I can put my kitchens and bathrooms in and 8X4 sheets of plasterboard in.
    2008 A5 3.0TDI


  6. #45
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by ben.w93 View Post
    Interesting read, just done a similar swap, from an A4 (B7) to and A5, being a generation ahead, the car is smoother, quicker and quieter, but I'm sure I will kick myself at some point for getting a coupe and ditching the Avant and favoring looks overt practicality, doing building work and playing with properties means an avant is more useful, but I have a nice old Land Rover I can put my kitchens and bathrooms in and 8X4 sheets of plasterboard in.
    I had a similar dilemma as I cart bikes about. Head said S4 estate, heart said S5 coupe with a roof rack. Only time will tell if that was a bright decision!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  7. #46
    ben.w93's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Devon/Cardiff
    Posts
    213
    haha, yeah, the estates are so practicle, an S4 avant would have been on the cards as the 3.0TDIs are strong money for a well speced on, I had roof racks for bikes for my avant, but i need a new feet pack, this A5 does have a detachable tow bar though, so I could put a rack on that.
    2008 A5 3.0TDI


  8. #47
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    339
    [QUOTE=Inked;2125550]It has arrived!



    Inked your car looks awesome. Good work!! And it sounds like you got a great deal too!!

    Only after looking at the pics of your car and thinking that looks like Amersham Audi did I realise you're from Bucks!! I've been reading this thread for a while, small world.

    I was considering trading my S3 for an A5 or the new S3 but Warren has convinced me to go for an S5.... the only problem is that I need to save a few more pennies now

    Enjoy the car, it looks lovely and hopefully I'll see you around sometime
    warren_S5 and Shrek5 like this.
    Now: 2009 S3 8P3 DSG. Mods: Revo Stage 2+, Full TBE, Autotech HPFP, Revo CAI, H&R ARBs, SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit, Rev D, Cruise control, LED interior lights upgrade, Rear DRLs... SPS & VCDS.
    Previously: 2001 AMK S3, Silver, Revo Remap, Milltek DV, KW Springs & Shocks, H&R ARB.

  9. #48
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbzeeee View Post

    but Warren has convinced me to go for an S5.... the only problem is that I need to save a few more pennies now
    It will be worth it chap, after getting out of the S5's after a couple of extended test drives the S3 started to really show it's age. I had an S5 owner sat in my S3 the other week and even he said it was looking old. Once you get used to the linear power delivery style I don't think you'll look back. A few carefully chosen mods and the S3 will become a fond memory!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  10. #49
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbzeeee View Post
    I was considering trading my S3 for an A5 or the new S3 but Warren has convinced me to go for an S5.... the only problem is that I need to save a few more pennies now

    Enjoy the car, it looks lovely and hopefully I'll see you around sometime
    Frankly that Warren should be banned IMHO, a bad influence all round... You watch you'll get your S5 then he'll be egging you on to get it mapped etc, etc...
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  11. #50
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Lovely car Inked, how are you getting on with it?
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  12. #51
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    Lovely car Inked, how are you getting on with it?
    Love it! Only done 700 miles so far but I'm now used to the lighter steering. The gearbox is still not as smooth as the A4 was so I need to get it booked in.

    Managed to scuff an alloy within days of picking it up but Audi repaired FOC.

    The tech pack is a big improvement over the one on the A4 and I've now given up using my iPod for music and have moved over to SD card (only used it for Sat Nav on the A4) with movies stored on the hard drive.

    Hoping to see an improvement in fuel economy as after the first full tank I only managed 33mpg which is less than I expected
    Shrek5 likes this.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

  13. #52
    stetheo's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    328
    Wow, looks amazing! Love the A5 and in BE form...unbelievable.

    Oddly enough I had a dream I traded in my S3 for an S5 last night....maybe this is my subconscious telling me something!
    Shrek5 likes this.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | Sunroof, RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

    Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

  14. #53
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Ah go on... you know you want to...
    stetheo likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  15. #54
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    @Inked, glad you are enjoying the motor, I guess fuel economy will improve once it is fully run in... or maybe you are just enjoying it a bit too much.

    Rubbish about the alloys, but glad they were repaired. Was that as part of a smart repair type deal or just because they were being nice(!?).
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  16. #55
    Snake Pliskin's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    804
    LOL .......... maybe the S5 fuel economy aint so bad after all
    warren_S5, Forbzeeee and Shrek5 like this.
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

  17. #56
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162

    New A5 or stick with my A4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    @Inked, glad you are enjoying the motor, I guess fuel economy will improve once it is fully run in... or maybe you are just enjoying it a bit too much.

    Rubbish about the alloys, but glad they were repaired. Was that as part of a smart repair type deal or just because they were being nice(!?).
    Driving the A5 no differently to the A4

    Just being nice
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

  18. #57
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Inked View Post
    Driving the A5 no differently to the A4
    Hopefully as it loosens up it will improve... certainly hope so as that wouldn't be much better than the S5 on a smooth journey!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inked View Post
    Just being nice
    an Audi dealer being nice.......?
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  19. #58
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Recommend that you hard reset both Trip-1 and Trip-2 and let it start over.

    Cars that are new will be quite tight, and MPG can be at least 10% under the kind of figure you'd expect (e.g. Not manufacturer lies).

    I've found with new cars it can take as much as 2500 miles for the MPG to settle completely so don't get to did ponder as the car looks fantastic.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  20. #59
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    Frankly that Warren should be banned IMHO, a bad influence all round... You watch you'll get your S5 then he'll be egging you on to get it mapped etc, etc...
    Shrek, I totally agree he IS a bad influence

    The decision to get it mapped has already been made... Stage 1 or 1+ within the 1st week I reckon.
    warren_S5 and Shrek5 like this.
    Now: 2009 S3 8P3 DSG. Mods: Revo Stage 2+, Full TBE, Autotech HPFP, Revo CAI, H&R ARBs, SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit, Rev D, Cruise control, LED interior lights upgrade, Rear DRLs... SPS & VCDS.
    Previously: 2001 AMK S3, Silver, Revo Remap, Milltek DV, KW Springs & Shocks, H&R ARB.

  21. #60
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
    LOL .......... maybe the S5 fuel economy aint so bad after all
    Stetheo, what mpg are you averaging in your S5?
    Now: 2009 S3 8P3 DSG. Mods: Revo Stage 2+, Full TBE, Autotech HPFP, Revo CAI, H&R ARBs, SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit, Rev D, Cruise control, LED interior lights upgrade, Rear DRLs... SPS & VCDS.
    Previously: 2001 AMK S3, Silver, Revo Remap, Milltek DV, KW Springs & Shocks, H&R ARB.

  22. #61
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbzeeee View Post
    Shrek, I totally agree he IS a bad influence

    The decision to get it mapped has already been made... Stage 1 or 1+ within the 1st week I reckon.
    That's the spirit.

    Don't know if I can ban myself, if you never see me again you know it worked! I don't think any of you should get remapped, then my car can whoop all ya's.
    Forbzeeee and Shrek5 like this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  23. #62
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Recommend that you hard reset both Trip-1 and Trip-2 and let it start over.

    Cars that are new will be quite tight, and MPG can be at least 10% under the kind of figure you'd expect (e.g. Not manufacturer lies).

    I've found with new cars it can take as much as 2500 miles for the MPG to settle completely so don't get to did ponder as the car looks fantastic.
    Not going off the DIS, calculated from filling the tank. Will see when I fill it over the weekend whether it's better on the second full tank.

    Wouldn't mind but the A4 with practically the same engine/setup ( which should have been less efficient) was getting 39mpg from the day I picked it up.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

  24. #63
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    No 2 engines are completely the same, there are quite a range of tolerances. Hopefully there is nothing wrong, but I've had 2 of exactly the same cars (2 Leon Cupra R's, 2 Audi S3's) and both cars have felt different in a number of ways (as one was newer there may be revisions to the bits in the engine). You can see variations in BHP / LB-FT and MPG, but I'd give it a week and if you're still concerned return it to Audi and demonstrate how out of tolerance it is as they have a duty to ensure it sits with x% of a certain tolerance.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  25. #64
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162
    Yeah, I'll give it a few more fill ups before I take it back in.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

  26. #65
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    That's the spirit.

    Don't know if I can ban myself, if you never see me again you know it worked! I don't think any of you should get remapped, then my car can whoop all ya's.
    If it doesn't work maybe we can ask Sandra really, really, really nicely to ban you...
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  27. #66
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Inked View Post
    Yeah, I'll give it a few more fill ups before I take it back in.
    Probably best to monitor for the time being as you say, it might well bed in nicely and be fine, fingers crossed.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  28. #67
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    If it doesn't work maybe we can ask Sandra really, really, really nicely to ban you...
    San and I are homies, despite my jaunty attitude, foul mouthed outbursts and general goat-acting I don't think she'd ban me (yet!).
    Forbzeeee likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  29. #68
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    San and I are homies, despite my jaunty attitude, foul mouthed outbursts and general goat-acting I don't think she'd ban me (yet!).
    Give it time... give it time... I'll worship Sandra until she caves... Mwhahahahahha

    Ummmm.... time for my meds you say? Oh ok...
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  30. #69
    Snake Pliskin's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    804
    Geeeeeeeeez I try NOT to look at my MPG and watch the fuel needle go down instead

    Can be as low as 16 mpg around or as high as 32 mpg if I can keep her steady around 70 mph on a flat motorway.

    As the Guys say, I do think it has improved a touch from what it was initially brand new.
    Shrek5 likes this.
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

  31. #70
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    Give it time... give it time... I'll worship Sandra until she caves... Mwhahahahahha

    Ummmm.... time for my meds you say? Oh ok...
    Jojo could be bribed for a non Windows 8 based laptop ;-)
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  32. #71
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin View Post
    Geeeeeeeeez I try NOT to look at my MPG and watch the fuel needle go down instead

    Can be as low as 16 mpg around or as high as 32 mpg if I can keep her steady around 70 mph on a flat motorway.

    As the Guys say, I do think it has improved a touch from what it was initially brand new.
    Lol, so true! I noticed it reading single digits the other day (cold start, traffic and a short journey), I quickly looked away... As you say I can get over 30mpg if I try hard, but it is very boring doing this so I can't do it. Long term average is showing ~20mpg but again journeys either tend to be shorter or if I do get to stretch her legs... well they get stretched.

    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Jojo could be bribed for a non Windows 8 based laptop ;-)
    - tempting, but I'll let you stay for now Warren......
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  33. #72
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162
    Just filled up my second full tank and realised that my fuel calc app was set to odometer rather than trip, so my last fill up was better than I thought at 34.7mpg. This second fill was calculated at 36.3mpg so a bit of an improvement
    Last edited by Inked; 4th May 2014 at 17:13.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

  34. #73
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    212
    I reckon with a bit more creative accounting you'll get it to 55mpg in no time!

    In all seriousness though, keep us posted if you wish and hopefully it will carry on going up.
    Inked likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  35. #74
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    339
    I'd be delighted with that mpg considering what I currently get!! I reckon you'll be in the 40's once the "newness" and the "right-foot-in-a-new-car problem" wears off
    Now: 2009 S3 8P3 DSG. Mods: Revo Stage 2+, Full TBE, Autotech HPFP, Revo CAI, H&R ARBs, SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit, Rev D, Cruise control, LED interior lights upgrade, Rear DRLs... SPS & VCDS.
    Previously: 2001 AMK S3, Silver, Revo Remap, Milltek DV, KW Springs & Shocks, H&R ARB.

  36. #75
    Inked's Avatar
    Takin it easy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    162
    38.7mpg over 408 miles on the third fill (although that was with premium diesel). Getting better
    warren_S5 and Shrek5 like this.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. New w910i wont work with GSM BT :-(
    By mattfinn in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th June 2008, 14:29
  2. New Ibis white S3 with Buckets? - anywhere?
    By S3IZZO in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12th November 2007, 08:18
  3. new discs to go with my calipers!!
    By jcb in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 23rd October 2007, 13:40
  4. New Style Sat Nav with MP3
    By androidmarrs in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th August 2007, 11:56
  5. My new look rear end with Quad tailpipes!
    By evomaster3000 in forum A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd May 2007, 22:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO