Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree727Likes

Thread: S5 Order Status: <24 hours to go!

Status
    Apologies, meant 'OEM style'. Still looking!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    I did find these:
    Tansy - Love Alloy Wheel Pink

But these are the closest I've found so far. Not quite there for me....

Fondmetal - 7600 Alloy Wheel Titanium with Polished Face

Maybe I need to call them as it might be special order item.
    Last edited by warren_S5; 25th April 2014 at 13:03.

2nd Gear

Status
    Photos not displaying Warren,

Status
    Strange, won't display as photos so had to insert links

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Nom nom nom (Just need to get shot of that V6T badge.....)

Good ride height too.

Reading the thread, that is the slightly raised level after initially dropping it a tad too much.

Looks spot on on the pic.
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

4th Gear

Status
    Some vented break discs would 'complete' the look
    warren_S5 and Sandra like this.

Status
    Agree, they would help no end. It's amaziing how ride height can make such a difference. I like a perfectly even/balanced (as can be achieved) arch gap around the wheel. I don't like the top dead centre of the arches to occlude the top of the tyre at all.
    Snake Pliskin likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Agreed ... lowered to a level which is not too low is what I like too and also like to see 'some' gap between tyre edge and arch.

Status
    Music questions:

Any of you guys know what is the maximum size SDHC card you can use in the latest Nav system (I'm guessing 32 or 64Gb).

I'm in a bit of a dilemma re music provision:

1) I use an iPod Touch in glovebox with wi-fi auto update for my most recently added tunes. That means I'm not constantly having to take music players with me to update - base 1 covered.
    2) I use Micro_SD cards in my S3 for albums that I like to listen to (old 32Gb class 4 ones - 3 yrs old). They aren't especially quick, but do the job and don't seem to reset and end up playing a-ha every time I start the car like the iPod does! (big plus point)
    3) I'm conscious there may be a bit of jukebox HDD space free for music on the Nav, do you use it and is it any good?

I will have B&O with Black Ed, and all my music is AAC or MP3 320Kbps (highest quality possible out of MP3 format). I want to listen in best possible quality as I have a pretty decent home hi-fi system and the car system always sounds second rate by comparison. When I upgrade SD cards I was thinking of 2 of these: Transcend 32GB Premium SDHC Card Class 10 / UHS-1 45 MB/s 13.99 - Free Delivery

Therefore based on my preferences and needs what would your recommendations / experiences suggest might be best? Thanks in advance.

4th Gear

Status
    Can't help you on this one mate as I did not bother with the sat-nav.
    I have dabbled with the B&O quite a bit though and am impressed with the overall sound for a 'standard factory fit'
    I use it plugged into my i-phone and fine the quality to be very good & clear - equally as good as cd's played in the car.
    I have not bothered with any sd cards so far.
    Also have a decent home set up using bowers & wilkins speakers so do appreciate the better quality sound in the car, its a nice touch.

Status
    No probs Snake. Bit of a dark art with the cross over from Apple stored media to new system. New S3 plays AAC files and MP3, but not sure if S5 can play AAC's.

I have a mid spec system at home (Marantz / NAD / Dynaudio) and now that I no longer go the whole hog on car installs the system never seems to measure up. Even with full Alpine reference gear there were limitations of car being a metal / glass reflective box, but the Bose system in the 8P is just bump/tish/bump/tish!. At least the Alpine kit had drive and conviction. Hopefully the B&O kit will fair better, but as it's not the £7k system in the A6/7/8 I'm not holding my breath!

Love the B&W's, had some very old skool DM603i series speakers prior to the Dynaudio's. Lovely rich sound with great sound-staging. Quite miss them to be honest.

4th Gear

Status
    Damn ........ confirmed elsewhere that Sepang blue is now available for standard money upgrade for the S5 as part of MY15 !

New 20" rims alse being released

4th Gear

Status
    No probs Snake. Bit of a dark art with the cross over from Apple stored media to new system. New S3 plays AAC files and MP3, but not sure if S5 can play AAC's.

I have a mid spec system at home (Marantz / NAD / Dynaudio) and now that I no longer go the whole hog on car installs the system never seems to measure up. Even with full Alpine reference gear there were limitations of car being a metal / glass reflective box, but the Bose system in the 8P is just bump/tish/bump/tish!. At least the Alpine kit had drive and conviction. Hopefully the B&O kit will fair better, but as it's not the £7k system in the A6/7/8 I'm not holding my breath!

Love the B&W's, had some very old skool DM603i series speakers prior to the Dynaudio's. Lovely rich sound with great sound-staging. Quite miss them to be honest.

You have some quality kit yourself there mate .... very tasty !
    I have grown quite attached / loyal to B&W and on my 3rd set of them now in 10 years lol

Yeah of course everything in context, the B&O is standard fit and supplied at a very moderate relatively low cost budget ... but on this basis, I think it is a worthy addition to the car for very little outlay, more so when part of the black package.
    But it aint a £7k beater from the higher end cars

The Bose in the TT was pretty pi$$ poor too, so this is a marked improvement over that for sure.
    Last edited by Snake Pliskin; 25th April 2014 at 15:43.
    warren_S5 and DAYTONA500 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Music questions:

Any of you guys know what is the maximum size SDHC card you can use in the latest Nav system (I'm guessing 32 or 64Gb).

I'm in a bit of a dilemma re music provision:

1) I use an iPod Touch in glovebox with wi-fi auto update for my most recently added tunes. That means I'm not constantly having to take music players with me to update - base 1 covered.
    2) I use Micro_SD cards in my S3 for albums that I like to listen to (old 32Gb class 4 ones - 3 yrs old). They aren't especially quick, but do the job and don't seem to reset and end up playing a-ha every time I start the car like the iPod does! (big plus point)
    3) I'm conscious there may be a bit of jukebox HDD space free for music on the Nav, do you use it and is it any good?

I will have B&O with Black Ed, and all my music is AAC or MP3 320Kbps (highest quality possible out of MP3 format). I want to listen in best possible quality as I have a pretty decent home hi-fi system and the car system always sounds second rate by comparison. When I upgrade SD cards I was thinking of 2 of these: Transcend 32GB Premium SDHC Card Class 10 / UHS-1 45 MB/s 13.99 - Free Delivery

Therefore based on my preferences and needs what would your recommendations / experiences suggest might be best? Thanks in advance.
    I was in the same position in 2010 when i had my S4,from what I've read then 32gb cards are the largest and have to be in a certain format,there is a 40gb internal hard drive of which 20gb is available for music {the jukebox} ,as all my computers/phones etc are Apple i went down the route of an i pod classic permanently connected in the glove box.The other day i found you can stream music directly from my iPhone via Bluetooth { A2DP}.An Audi branded hard drive is also available that connects to the AMI in the glove box.
    warren_S5 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    The simplest solution and best quality music reproduction solution would imo an i pod in the glove box.
    Snake Pliskin likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTONA500 View Post
    The simplest solution and best quality music reproduction solution would imo an i pod in the glove box.

I certainly find it as good if not better than a cd in the car.

1st Gear

Status
    In theory* the best quality would be a CD by far, unless it's Apple's Lossless codec (not sure if the Audi's can play these) in which case it would be a tie. My understanding is that the iPod is the worst as it uses Apple's DAC which, apparently, isn't the best in the business. Supposedly for a given MP3/AAC file it should sound better direct from either a memory card or USB stick/drive.

So CD/ALAC (if it plays them), then AAC/MP3 from an SD card/memory stick/drive then last of all music from your iPod.

Also AAC is technically superior to MP3 as it retains a greater range of frequencies as compared to MP3.

With regards to the HDD space, I've not got around to trying anything on there yet (it's only been a year!) and tend to stream the music from my Android phone and the Audi Music app via the built in WLAN. Not sure if that's Audi Connect specific or included in the Tech Pack without the Google goodies.

* I say in theory because it's difficult to tell in practice - as noted a car isn't the ideal music platform full stop...
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

4th Gear

Status
    That will be why my i-phone sounds WAY superior to my i-pod connected via the MMI then.

Status
    God damn in. I ended up converting all my music (8000+ songs) to MP3 320kpbs as my last 2 S3's wouldn't play AAC's. I didn't think there would be a lot in it, but never assume!

I'll get all my favourite stuff onto the SD cards then, and with 64Gb I should be able to get most of the music on there.

I wonder if you can get an external DAC that would connect between the Apple iDevice and the car??? Arcam rPAC | USB DAC Headphone Amplifier | Richer Sounds

In the meantime I'll get some SDHC cards ordered and ready for the car. Intrigued to see if album art will carry over.

Thanks for input.
    Last edited by warren_S5; 25th April 2014 at 17:49.

Takin it easy

Status

In the meantime I'll get some DHC cards ordered and ready for the car. Intrigued to see if album art will carry over.

Thanks for input.
    Album art shows from SD card and internal hard disk in my A5 (I need to upgrade my ipod to work with the red band cable so it's still plugged in using my old blue one )
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

2nd Gear

Status
    Warren have a look at this .
    Jukebox/SD Card vs Ipod Sound Quality?
    warren_S5 and Inked like this.

Status
    I have red iPod cable (sat in my car folder at the dealer awaiting collection), so may be a marginal improvement from feedback in that thread but not holding my breath.

I'm going to set up my spare laptop with a bigger SSD and burn my favourite CD's to AAC format and copy them across to SDHC cards for best possible sound. If the iPod really does sound flat I'll just get an SSD in a USB2.0 carrier and put that in the glovebox.
    Last edited by warren_S5; 25th April 2014 at 20:38.
    DAYTONA500 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Warren, I would do what I've done (well I would say that wouldn't I?) and if you are going to the effort of ripping tracks again do it to a lossless format. I've done everything to FLAC although post 22 which was linked to by Daytona suggests ALAC.

I think you are a Mac user too, so I used XLD to rip all my CDs (and the wifes to... even if that hurt doing Westlife etc) to FLAC. Then when I was done with that you just tell XLD to use AAC (or whatever) as the output and tell it to go look in the FLAC directory. It then spits everything out in the AAC format into a new directory. Let me know if you want the settings I used.

This means that in future if I ever need to repeat the process (e.g. Ogg becomes the main decoder or whatever) I just repoint XLD to use that codec and it's done in no time at all. It also means I have a full lossless backup of all my CDs.

Finally - did a quick check and the car will play AAC files off a USB stick plugged into the iPod port (using the other cable obviously) and from here you could copy it to the HDD. One oddity is that playing off the USB stick showed the track name (I happen to use NN - Artist Name) rather than, it appears the metadata. Once copied to the HDD it used the metadata. Need to check if that was a one off glitch but seemed odd. Think I got artwork either way though.

Hope that helps.
    warren_S5 likes this.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

2nd Gear

Status
    Im a mac user too Shrek and all that info has just gone way over my head lol,but i am interested in all this and looking foreward to peoples findings as i might implement them myself.

Status
    Right, I'll have a go at that. I have a spare MacBook Pro I can use for this with a 320Gb drive which I'll just use for music management. I may have to tap you up for advice at some point, but I'll take any pain for some decent sounds.

1st Gear

Status
    Lol, sorry Daytona. If either of you want more details let me know. XLD works well but can be a bit non-obvious at first. Happy to reply via PM or can post here...
    DAYTONA500 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    Lol, sorry Daytona. If either of you want more details let me know. XLD works well but can be a bit non-obvious at first. Happy to reply via PM or can post here...
    Thanks Shrek I'll wait until Warren gets his car and then perhaps you can post a guide on here so we can both follow.

Status

Process underway. Jusr had to dig out old MBP, updated it to Maverics and now I'll use it for media storage.

After the convenience of MP3 upload speeds an upload time of 2m:35 on average per track is 'interesting' but at least it gives me a proper copy of everything in the library. Can't begin to imagine the file sizes of these tracks!! I should have all the music uploaded by the time I'm 50 (should have waited until I'd got new SSD rather than chancing it with 7200rpm HDD).

many thanks for the heads up Gareth, intrigued to see how this goes. Thankfully no Westlife here, I've been trying to encourage my wife (gently!) to develop her hearing palette!
    DAYTONA500 and Shrek5 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Perhaps this is a daft question,can my current ITunes library be converted to the better format without having to go through the process of reloading all the cd's?.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYTONA500 View Post
    Perhaps this is a daft question,can my current ITunes library be converted to the better format without having to go through the process of reloading all the cd's?.
    All mine were MP3 and as it's compressed you can't put back the information that's been taken away. I've chosen the best audio quality / most favourite CDs and anything that isn't a personal favourite can stay in iTunes (old MP3). I've still got nearly 400 albums to do, so it's going to take a few weeks, but I've got 4 weeks until the car comes.

If your music is coded in ALAC I wouldn't bother, you'll be fine as is. If your music is MP3 compressed select the best of your music collection and just refresh those with new settings.

I estimate my music collection will require at least 250Gb of space on AIFF files, so it's a good job the machine has 320gb as it will just fit.

The files do seem ludicrously large for the marginal gains, but at least I have peace of mind and some future proofing in place. I'm wondering if I get an SSD whether the upload speed will be much faster and save a stack of time.....

2nd Gear

Status
    Just looked in iTunes and mine are AAC ,so am i right in thinking if i use an sd card it will be better than with my iPod classic?

1st Gear

Status
    As Warren says you can't put back in what's been taken out of a lossy codec. It is possible to do the conversion but there is no value to it.

In theory putting your AAC files onto an sd card should sound better than via the iPod Classic. AAC is still a lossy codec but less so than mp3. YMMV as to whether you can detect the difference. It should also sound better putting them onto a USB stick if you don't have an sd card to hand.

Warren, you mention aiff, isn't that an uncompressed format? Using FLAC or ALAC would save you space without sacrificing quality. When you say upload what do you mean? Ripping the file the read/rip is the bottle neck, on the upload to sd card it's the interface.

1st Gear

Status
    A couple of other thoughts, if your music is older iTunes stuff then it may still be DRM'ed which means it won't play unless the iPod decodes it but I think all tracks were converted to non-DRM a while back now so should be OK.

I did a quick test with XLD and for one sample file AIFF weighs in at 43MB, the FLAC and the M4A (ALAC) at 34M - the FLAC slightly larger than the M4A file. Don't know if the M4A file ALAC encoded will play on the MMI unit or not, that's a test for another time if you are interested in the results.
    warren_S5 likes this.

Status
    In respect of the AIFF files, when I ripped a cd using XLD that is the default file I've been left with. Wasn't aware I could rip them as anything else. I take it that option is buried within the preferences menu?

I'm not opposed to having large files TBH, when imported into iTunes they still play fine as ALAC. Given the shortage of cd's I'm finding on the open market I want to protect every one I've got with a back up (eventually) as the longer term plan is to buy a house with a dedicated hifi room and I will be looking to invest in some serious kit, so the source material needs to be as good as can be.

I've been to Marlborough today to their Indy record store buying a few old favourites as digital remaster copies. As much as I hated HMV and it's mass market jumble of music, boy do I miss it now it's gone. Discogs and Amazon are filling the gaps.

1st Gear

Status
    No harm in using the AIFF and agree that space these days is relatively cheap but ALAC/FLAC will use about 3/4 of the space you need for AIFF with no loss in quality so I'd use that. As said I used FLAC but would probably use ALAC from now on, that's in Preferences under General:

Choose Apple Lossless from the drop down, there isn't much to check in the options so leave it as the defaults (Same as original). Then as you can see I have the default music directory set at the highest level because under the next option of File Naming I get that to create the appropriate format specific folder, see:

So the above leaves you with a file stored something like:

/Users/gareth/Music/FLAC/Various Artists/Ministry Of Sound - Anthems 90s CD3/01 - The Prodigy - No Good (Start The Dance).flac

If you use Apple Lossless the folder name and extension will be slightly different of course.

Then once you have everything ripped in a lossless format change the output format to whatever you want (MP3/AAC), set the options for that codec, so for MPEG-4 AAC I used the following which I think are about the best settings:

Then you can point XLD to open your 'Apple Lossless' directory and it will convert everything to your target output and store it in the appropriate directory structure. If you only want a specific Artist, Album or track then just descend to that level, the result is the same.

Hope that helps someone, let me know if anything isn't clear. There is a fairly comprehensive overview here which is worth a look too, particularly with some of the other tabs such as the "CD Rip" tab.
    warren_S5 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Ah, just remembered, I will be sticking with FLAC encoding as it is supported by my amp in the living room - I knew there was a reason for using that over ALAC...

That's the beauty of encoding to a lossless format, if something supercedes FLAC/ALAC then it's a simple step to migrate.
    warren_S5 likes this.

Status
    Many thanks for above, very useful.

Final quick question as I haven't tried it yet:

Can I use this software to do the copy to SD card, or do I have to do it from iTunes/ elsewhere?

TIA

1st Gear

Status
    This is where it falls down a bit, you'll need something else to manage that. Initially I was using iTuneMyWalkman but as of Mavericks this doesn't work. So I've resorted to just copying the files by hand.

I haven't tried this as yet, but I would have through playlists could be exported from iTunes to the SD card but then you would have to open up the M3U and adjust the path accordingly. If you aren't letting iTunes manage your paths then this should be a case of removing the first part of the path and (possibly) changing the / to a \... if I get the chance I'll let you know how it works out.
    warren_S5 likes this.

Takin it easy

Status
    How exactly do playlists on SD card card differ from ipod on the mmi screen?

I have stopped using the ipod and just have the tracks that were in playlists on iTunes in folders named the same as the playlists on the SD card and it doesn't seem any different to me.
    Current: A5 2.0TDI (177) quattro, Black Edition, Daytona Grey.
    Previous: A4 2.0TDI (170) quattro, Black Edition, Lava Grey.

1st Gear

Status
    I don't think it will behave any differently. Where it helps is you could, for example, have all your albums on the SD card and then instead of duplicating the tracks into your 'playlist' directory the playlist would just point to those tracks instead, saving space on the SD card.

There must be a better way than what I've described I've just not found it yet.
    Inked likes this.