Badger5Chris Nott
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mjr901
  • 1 Post By Goubo1
  • 1 Post By s33nyboy12
  • 1 Post By mjr901

Thread: S5 4.2 and 3.0t vs e46 m3

  1. #1
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    630

    S5 4.2 and 3.0t vs e46 m3

    What's faster in a straight line a s5 or e46m3 ??

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    A5sprint's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lowestoft, UK
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    What's faster in a straight line a s5 or e46m3 ??
    Niether, they're both limited to 155mph.
    2008 S5 Coupe in Ibis White with 20" 7 twin-spoke Speedline Alloys, Red Leather, Sat Nav, B&O Sound, Red Ambient Lighting.

  4. #3
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,380
    M3! Just.........

    in dry conditions September I had a play with one I beat it by about a cars length in sport mode but with traction control on.

    i reckon with launch control and with traction off I would of put some distance between us. You could hear his s5 over my m3 though, I won't state the speed but it was lights to lights twice . Bloke gave me the thumbs up as we turned different ways ...... I think his was manual too as at the seconds lights he was revving it higher than idle where as mine bein auto i was left at idle :-(.

    Put a smile on my face, before you ask incase you was thinking an rs4 b7 beats the m3 by quite a bit.

    Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  5. #4
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,380
    Just because I can :-)



    heres my baby, sadly in storage at the minute with a trickle charger att, as I'm busy with .....



    got the lift fitted yesterday , well happy!

    Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  6. #5
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,786
    Looks like an old 1800E Volvo on the ramp??!
    s33nyboy12 likes this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  7. #6
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by A5sprint View Post
    Niether, they're both limited to 155mph.
    Yes but what one would get there first ??

  8. #7
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    Just because I can :-)



    heres my baby, sadly in storage at the minute with a trickle charger att, as I'm busy with .....



    got the lift fitted yesterday , well happy!

    Sean
    this is one great looking m3

  9. #8
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    M3! Just.........

    in dry conditions September I had a play with one I beat it by about a cars length in sport mode but with traction control on.

    i reckon with launch control and with traction off I would of put some distance between us. You could hear his s5 over my m3 though, I won't state the speed but it was lights to lights twice . Bloke gave me the thumbs up as we turned different ways ...... I think his was manual too as at the seconds lights he was revving it higher than idle where as mine bein auto i was left at idle :-(.

    Put a smile on my face, before you ask incase you was thinking an rs4 b7 beats the m3 by quite a bit.

    Sean
    i had a play with a s5 a while back a 59 plate v8 one and was stuck on his back bumper till silly speeds could have over took him but would have been a bit silly to do so this was in my mtm s3 and recently had a play with a 12 plate one the 3.0 supercharged one he got a jump on me but was reeling him in and he backed off,not yet had a play with a e46 m3 yet that's why I posted as I'm wanting to see how I would fair against a m3

    did is have a run with a rs4 and there was two car lengths in it at most all way till he would have hit the limiter I was surprised as thought it would have been more unless this rs4 had some issues and was not 100%
    s33nyboy12 likes this.

  10. #9
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Looks like an old 1800E Volvo on the ramp??!
    very well spotted, it is mate! 1972 money pit........ :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    this is one great looking m3
    thank you I love it , such a raw car to drive , puts you heart in your throat exiting bends at 80mph back end coming out :-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    i had a play with a s5 a while back a 59 plate v8 one and was stuck on his back bumper till silly speeds could have over took him but would have been a bit silly to do so this was in my mtm s3 and recently had a play with a 12 plate one the 3.0 supercharged one he got a jump on me but was reeling him in and he backed off,not yet had a play with a e46 m3 yet that's why I posted as I'm wanting to see how I would fair against a m3

    did is have a run with a rs4 and there was two car lengths in it at most all way till he would have hit the limiter I was surprised as thought it would have been more unless this rs4 had some issues and was not 100%
    a lot of rs4's make 350 bhp on dyno, some carbon build up problem iirc but then m3 has been known to only make 330 bhp on dyno!

    all I know is I beat the s5 quite easily , rs4 beat me, new m3 wasted me by miles just a beast! Old guy driving it was grinning ear to ear .
    your Mtm s3 isn't slow by any shake of a stick so wouldn't be a massive difference getting into an m3 or rs4 for you, probably not worth the cost unless you like the shape or car in particular.

    P.s I love the 8l s3 and miss mine like hell .

    Sean
    mjr901 likes this.
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  11. #10
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    very well spotted, it is mate! 1972 money pit........ :-)


    Sean
    My mum has one, in yellow, 1970. Been off the road for years, owned it half her life I should think now, completely rusty though!

    *edit*

    Owned it since 1977, its second owner lol.

    She used to take me to school in it, I used to hide, but now I realise it's a proper classic, and when mint, look awesome! Horrific colour though...

    Little too late for it now though I think, would need a million quid sunk into it which we dont have....So its currently sat in a local farmyard rusting away...
    Last edited by mjr901; 8th December 2013 at 11:49.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  12. #11
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    My mum has one, in yellow, 1970. Been off the road for years, owned it half her life I should think now, completely rusty though!

    *edit*

    Owned it since 1977, its second owner lol.

    She used to take me to school in it, I used to hide, but now I realise it's a proper classic, and when mint, look awesome! Horrific colour though...

    Little too late for it now though I think, would need a million quid sunk into it which we dont have....So its currently sat in a local farmyard rusting away...

    Very interesting....... Pm me if you want to sell it/ had a price in mind? it's sad to see them in a state. They rot loads though, it took us ages to find a decent one and my dad having OCD has decided it's not good enough and wants to do a full resto on it. Yeh very expensive to restore and hard to get parts.


    thats what it looked like before we decided to strip it for resto.......l. Was in good nick overall .

    Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  13. #12
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    Very interesting....... Pm me if you want to sell it/ had a price in mind? it's sad to see them in a state. They rot loads though, it took us ages to find a decent one and my dad having OCD has decided it's not good enough and wants to do a full resto on it. Yeh very expensive to restore and hard to get parts.


    thats what it looked like before we decided to strip it for resto.......l. Was in good nick overall .

    Sean
    Looking good there even to be fair!!

    Unfortunately she will not let go of the damn thing, it holds alot of memories for her, and she has been pushed and pushed into getting rid of her by the rest of the family, but no, it stays, even if it is a pile of rust.

    Once she moves to 'pastures new' though.... it'll be straight up for sale, dont you worry!

    I havent any pictures to hand, cars down the road, i personally havent been to see it in years! God knows what she looks like now.

    Sod the Audi vs BMW thread haha, taken over by a classic Volvo... ooops! ahh well, car fanatics all the same ..
    s33nyboy12 likes this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  14. #13
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    very well spotted, it is mate! 1972 money pit........ :-)


    thank you I love it , such a raw car to drive , puts you heart in your throat exiting bends at 80mph back end coming out :-D



    a lot of rs4's make 350 bhp on dyno, some carbon build up problem iirc but then m3 has been known to only make 330 bhp on dyno!

    all I know is I beat the s5 quite easily , rs4 beat me, new m3 wasted me by miles just a beast! Old guy driving it was grinning ear to ear .
    your Mtm s3 isn't slow by any shake of a stick so wouldn't be a massive difference getting into an m3 or rs4 for you, probably not worth the cost unless you like the shape or car in particular.

    P.s I love the 8l s3 and miss mine like hell .

    Sean
    haha I bet it does mate can't beat rear drive fun

    i have read about both rs4 and e46 m3 not making quoted power I read once and got told about a e46 m3 making 300bhp

    I love the 8l s3 too mate can't see me ever getting rid of mine

  15. #14
    s33nyboy12's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    East midlands
    Posts
    1,380
    To be honest, the ones not making power figures in both instances are just poorly maintained examples. Mines just had its major service 5500 miles early because I felt it wasn't running spot on now it feels like a different motor.
    And rs4 with carbon build up the owners should be aware of it and it should be seen as maintenance IMO . Cars are all money pits!

    I bet you've poured enough slap dash into your s3 over ownership........

    Still love em. Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

    Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

  16. #15
    A5sprint's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lowestoft, UK
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    Yes but what one would get there first ??
    That wasn't the original question
    Last edited by A5sprint; 8th December 2013 at 17:22.
    2008 S5 Coupe in Ibis White with 20" 7 twin-spoke Speedline Alloys, Red Leather, Sat Nav, B&O Sound, Red Ambient Lighting.

  17. #16
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    To be honest, the ones not making power figures in both instances are just poorly maintained examples. Mines just had its major service 5500 miles early because I felt it wasn't running spot on now it feels like a different motor.
    And rs4 with carbon build up the owners should be aware of it and it should be seen as maintenance IMO . Cars are all money pits!

    I bet you've poured enough slap dash into your s3 over ownership........

    Still love em. Sean
    yeah that's true mate a lot of cars don't get the attention they require the way I see it the likes of your m3's rs4's and such they are more or less road going race cars so need more looking after than your standard cars

    i have that mate it's had full suspension overhaul then the engine dropped a valve so I bought a forged engine from a forum member as well as spare k26 turbo kit and manifold but it's been a hobby for me and love the car

  18. #17
    IceHanger's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Mids/North Worcs
    Posts
    291
    ....a standard DSG equipped S3 will keep pace with an (4.2) S5

    Actually when I bought my S3 I tried a 57 plate S5 and was very disappointed, I'm not knocking the 4.2 as it's a lovely engine and why I bought an S4. I have considered replacing the S3 with the Supercharged 3.0Tfsi S4 which is rather dribbletastic
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,
    Tons of Minis

  19. #18
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by IceHanger View Post
    ....a standard DSG equipped S3 will keep pace with an (4.2) S5Actually when I bought my S3 I tried a 57 plate S5 and was very disappointed, I'm not knocking the 4.2 as it's a lovely engine and why I bought an S4. I have considered replacing the S3 with the Supercharged 3.0Tfsi S4 which is rather dribbletastic
    The dsg makes a huge difference as does the weight of the s5

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 3dr A3 and a baby...
    By Ken in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th March 2011, 08:47
  2. DRIVE E46 M3 AND AWWWW MY GOD!!!!
    By JUX in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 1st July 2008, 10:32
  3. selling my S3 and getting a M3 E46
    By MingBluS3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 19th May 2006, 18:04
  4. A4 and CVT
    By Ken in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th March 2003, 21:49
  5. Pic and Details Of Next Gen A3/S3
    By XXX_18T in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 3rd January 2003, 23:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO