What Mpg 2lt tdi do you get

bearder2006

Reaction score
Really thinking of getting a cab or a black edition just wondering what mpg you get my a4 I'm getting about town 40 on a run up to 52mpg just to compare

About the same for me with my 2.0 TDI (177)

I'm struggling to get 400 miles to a tank, and it's working out roughly 27mpg. That's made up of prob 75% town and 25% dual/motorways. It's worse than my old A3 2.0T!

Averaging 40-45 MPG on my quattro 2.0TDi coupe.

Get 50+ on a longer journey (30 miles +)

Averaging 40-45 MPG on my quattro 2.0TDi coupe.

Get 50+ on a longer journey (30 miles +)

I've had a hire car for the past week with 13K miles on it and the MPG is allot better. My car has only 2K miles on it so as the cars engine wears in the mpg will get better

I picked up an A5 Sportback Quattro 2.0TDI S - Tronic 177 on the 1st September. Just gone over 2500 miles and currently its a miracle when it breaks into the 40's, hardly any in town driving and the 2.0 TDI 170 TT Manual it replaced happily averaged 50mpg on the same journeys (pretty much from new).

I took the A5 back to the dealers but they said as it hasn't thrown any fault codes there can't be anything wrong. I'm working on what the trip computer tells me but I know I could get close to 600 miles a tank from the TT and don't get much past 450 in the A5.

I'd be happy if it gets to average in the low 40's when it loosens up but its so far adrift at the moment I can't see it happening.

I picked up an A5 Sportback Quattro 2.0TDI S - Tronic 177 on the 1st September. Just gone over 2500 miles and currently its a miracle when it breaks into the 40's, hardly any in town driving and the 2.0 TDI 170 TT Manual it replaced happily averaged 50mpg on the same journeys (pretty much from new).

I took the A5 back to the dealers but they said as it hasn't thrown any fault codes there can't be anything wrong. I'm working on what the trip computer tells me but I know I could get close to 600 miles a tank from the TT and don't get much past 450 in the A5.

I'd be happy if it gets to average in the low 40's when it loosens up but its so far adrift at the moment I can't see it happening.

You might want to get the MAF sensor values checked and also check for boost leaks.
I'd recommend adding a bottle of Wynn's diesel clean 3 to half a tank of diesel too and giving it a good revving whilst it's in.
Your injectors / EGR / DPF etc could be coked up. I know there's only 2000 miles on the clock but there could have been a lot of idling in between.

In think there has been a lot of threads around about very poor mpg from the 2.0tdi. A mate of mine has one and he says he struggles to get 40mpg. To be honest I think the 3.0tdi is pretty similar as I am averaging around 38 to 44 most days. I usually get about 450 to 480 miles per tank.
That said it should improve a little if you have only done a few thousand miles.

I get around 40mpg by calculation (the trip says 45) This is mostly A & B roads, there's not a motorway within 100 miles!

I'm getting about 40-45mpg now I've got 7k on the clock and it's getting better all the time. I imagine by the time I've got 20-30k on the clock it'll easily do 50+mpg

There are always loads of these mpg threads this time of the year, Fuel economy improves a lot when the summer rolls round especially if you do lots of short trips. A new car with a tight engine certianly doesn't help economy either.

I've got a 1 year old black edition 2.0 tdi (177ps) with 20k on the clock. Always used shell's V nitro power diesel to keep the engine at its best. Still I only get 40-45 mpg with town and A road driving. Full tank gives me 475-500 miles and that's if I'm driving very carefully.
2 litre tdi passat gives better mileage then A5's.

I don't even go there and discuss mpg with the S5 :)

Reactions: neebwon