a5 cab diesel reviews please

bearder2006

Reaction score
got a a4 cab b7 thinking of changing for a a5 cab diesel
what are they like mpg , comfort , s line ?
just a bit of help before i part with the cash please

My wife had a 2005 A4 Cab 2.5 tdi Sport before her A5 Cab 2.0 Tdi S-line 170 Bhp she got in 2010, it is a White 59 Plate January 2010 with 18" wheels.
It is a nice car but the ride isnt half as good as the A4 Cab were,and the steering is also allot heavier and rubbery and they are also quite rattly inside on rough surfaces. The car isnt half as good to drive as my 2011 A4 Saloon either.
I have heard the facelift version is better to drive but as of yet i haven't had a go in one.
Just make sure before you buy you have a long test drive in a few different ones and see one which you like.
Full leather seats are very comfortable though and heated seats are nice when there is a little nip and you want your roof down.
Mpg wise it is brilliant, About 40mpg driving round town normal.
They look for nicer than the A4 Cabriolet and attract allot of attention when they are cleaned up and the roof is down and its gorgeous to drive on a hot summers day but the ride isnt up to Audi's standard.

Last edited:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a5-s5-...de-a5-quattro-cab-2010-3-0-a.html#post1975496

Ours is lovely. Super comfy and toasty even in the chill and I am 6ft 4".
The 3.0 litre diesel is a wonderful engine. Seems to barely sip gas. Also, it has a huge tank capacity. Seems to take 80% of what we get in our big diesel SUV. Will update once we get through our first full tin.
Ours is an S line but have yet to really explore it all. It's quite enough for our roads here and honestly it takes a lot to unsettle it.

I have a thread elsewhere in the forum. Seem unable to post link to it though

I am now on my second A5 cab having gone from an SE to an Sline special edition, both being the 2.0 tdi 177bhp. I find them to be comfortable and economical, the SE doing 54mpg on a run recently.
its not a car for thrashing about, if you want that, buy the RS5 cab!

Who said it were a car for thrashing about ?

I think that some of the reviews I have read suggest that the handling is a bit 'wooly', which I don't agree with and perhaps they may be driving the car in a more spirited way than I would.
Now that I have the Sline, it is a firmer ride and after a ride round the Lake District, it does handle better than the SE, in my opinion.

Last weekend we discovered S mode and did our best to drive 4 up (2 adults and 2 kids weighing 550lbs) in a spirited fashion on some of the nice Adelaide Hills roads between Crafars and Uraidla as well as Greenhill to Lenswood and Handorf. A rapid wineries tour but only stopping for lunch.
I found the handling in no way wooly. The car has 19 inch wheels and sporty tyres and we had a lot of fun in the twisty bits.
It's not a Lotus and is a fairly weighty car but it does have nice neutral balance and well thought out suspension and steering. I found it rather involving as the day went on. The S ratios seem very well matched to the motor. This is the 3.0 TDSI btw.

We also applied the Renovo product to the roof. 2 coats so far. Will apply a third and the weatherproofer and show a before and after.
Think the previous owner used to leave it with the top down after a Brisbane commute. Left a few dark crease lines in a bleached but in reality just faded/ dirty top. Looks impressively black and posh/ new thus far but creases a little blacker still but still like new. Perhaps "they all look like that sir". I might a big deal out of the roof when I bought the car. For 150 bucks he could have shut me up!