To order or not to order....

Rum Lad

Reaction score
Hi boys and girls,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, basically you may or may not remember a post a few month back where i posted my poor old damaged s3 that got basically written off in the snow.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-chat/184235-how-much-will-snow-cost-me.html :(

Well the outcome of that was the car was f00ked but I still managed to sell it for a decent price and went and bought this...
IMG 20130327 00105
ibis white a5 2.0tdi s-line black edition

Don't get me wrong it is a nice motor but i don't know what i was thinking buying a 2litre diesel, just not for me, guess i was love struck by the look of it rather than the pace.

Anyways the dilemma being, after owning it for 4 months I've decided I want the speed back and love the new facelift a5 shape so was thinking of ordering a new S5 so would be grateful to here from any owners of these beasts on the good and bad points...
Also what would you suggest as to the essential options so to speak?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Always is mate

If you can afford the fuel then go for it but its a different animal to the S3. I went from the Jaffa to the 3.0tdi & am very happy. Not as wallet raping as the S3 & i dont need to service a haldex either

I have a new S5 on order mate.

Got a TTS at the moment.

Had a test drive in the new S5 and it was tremendous !
Such a good looking car, but fantastic performance and luxury too.

If you like the look of the A5 and that is what drew you in the first place, plus you like the re-styled new look, I am sure the S5 would be a superb choice - you come from an S3 which is compatible to a TTS and I certainly felt an increase in performance on the test drive.

It is certainly the car which ticks all the boxes for me and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

thanks for the replies lads.

I test drove an S4 today (jsut because it has the same engine and they had no s5's) and and WOW! as you say completly different to the S3 (mapped) which I thought was quick but this was something else. The s-tronic in the 13plates seems much more responsive and refined, gear changes are perfect. Noise was nice too.

Snake if you don't mind me asking did you bother with the audi drive select and sports diff etc?

What colour did you go for make sure you get pics up when it comes, absoloutly love the restyled lights etc. I think I'm swaying towards a sportback though for future practibility.

No problem ....

Drive select and sports diff are not options I ticked.

That is not to say that they are not good items, I just did not think i needed them.
I have 'magnetic ride' on the TTS and in 3 years driving have used it for about 30 minutes !
yeah it stiffens the car up rock solid but on UK roads it is far too jittery.
imo it's only useful for track driving, which I don't do.

So thinking the same about the above items, fine if you plan on doing track driving or want to go round corners as flat or fast as possible or if you wanna shave a few tenths off a 0 to 60 time ... but in the real world I know I won't get the use out of them. I like straight line speed and the S5 in standard form will give me that kick no problem.

if the items came as standard Thst would be fine, but I wasn't prepared to pay out for them - that's just my opinion, but don't let me put you off as you may find they suit your driving style and I have heard positive comments from people who do have those options .. at the end of the day it's personal choice.

Very true mate. I'm not one for taking my own car round a track anyway or driving like a maniac on the road so although its nice to have the options they are also very expensive once you add them all up. Standard S5 is more than a capable car. I bet you can't wait for yours.

Totally agree ... car in standard form is more than capable !

Love everything about the S5 and yeah can't wait.

Try and find one if you can - to look at / sit in / drive if possible - that is what secured it for me ... such a 'complete' package, oozes quality and just looks stunning inside & out. The 7 speed auto did feel great too, which you also noted. Luxury cruiser or performance animal - it does both.

I added drive select/adaptive dampers to my SLine A5 Sportback to allow me to soften the ride/throttle response when I want a less firm ride. You are right though, if you never plan to use the option, it's a waste of money.

The Quattro Sports Diff is an option you'd only need if you really drive hard or take your car onto a track!