Newbie disappointed with A5 music ? is speaker/sound upgrade possible

JeffC

Reaction score
Hi All Just registered, I have recently bought an A5 cab 3.0 tdi S line, Its a great spec car and I like everything about it other than the sound quality of the music, Ive had a lot of Audis inc a B8 A4 with B&O which was very impressive, but this is by far the worst I"ve come across since owning an old Audi 80 !

Its not the b&o its the standard sound system and as said its shocking , it has no bass or mid and when you increase the bass or sub setting in the mmi It just gives me a bad head! may sound petty but will be the thing that hinges on me keeping or selling it as I love my tunes and spending a fair bit of time in the car its a deal breaker.

I appreciate a cab will never have the best platform for a top quality sound (my previous A4 cab was acceptable) but im just wondering if has anyone ever upgraded the standard sound system on an A5 and what sort of costs were involved. Im not after a boot full of subs just something to improve whats already there.

thanks in advance. Jeffc

Welcome to the site.

TBH its not going to be cheap if you don't like the system as is, you could upgrade it to the B&O which will be expensive, but I suggest you go test a cab with the better system & see if it is any better before considering this as an option, aftermarket systems wont be cheap either.

thanks for the reply, Ive spoken to another A5 cab owner that has B&O and he also reported that the sound was poor so I would prob be looking at replacing with something aftermarket. Does any one know if the cab has a Subwoofer as other Audis? It doesnt sound as though it does.

with a car its not an acoustic environment, i produce music and DJ and am a very big audio fan, i removed the bose from my car and installed full alpine system so i could provide music at car shows ect,

if your a real music head get a professional set up ive seen an A5 in america when i was out there with the standard screen as a double din head unit and the control panel in the same layout with EQ and sound processing for different types of music & acoustic environments such as doors open... set the guy back around $2000 which was about £1400 in our cash sounded amazing too very loud with no speakers on show or anything looking out of place.

i can blabble all day about music i breath it 24/7

it was a JBL set up with a Pioneer head unit

Upgrading the speakers would be a start. Surely the factory system would be loud enough if it's better quality you are after?

go and check out some speakers brands such as: Dynaudio, Focal, Sea's lotus,Hertz and get your self a nice amp Arc Mini or Hetz and some dynamatt for your front doors and you will be amazingly impressed with sound, and then if you lack bass and dont wanna lose boot go a focal under sea sub, or a morel 8inch in a small box and you will be very happy.

Does the A5 cab have the exact same B&O set up / speaker package / 505 watt capacity as the coupe ?

Assume 'some' of the speakers would have to be re-located or omitted in the cab ... or does the cab have a different package of speakers designed specifically for the cab ?

EDIT .....

It appears that the coupe has 14 speakers and the cabrio 12 speakers.
But both are listed as outputting 505 watts.
Cab says 10 channel amp.
Coupe says two amps.
Sub info was not listed for either.

So there are subtle but definite differences between the two.

Last edited:
Is yours just a bad example or is this a problem specific to the cabriolet?
I have an A5 Coupe with the B&O setup and this is the best sounding standard fit ICE sytem I've had in over 30 years of motoring, crystal clear sound at silly volume levels with lots of bass and treble and loads of adjustment.