How to remove the Anti-glare from the MMI screen?

Laz

Reaction score
Had the car a few weeks now and not sure if I ended up doing it or if it was already there, but the anti-glare layer is messed up. It's not too appealing and I wanted to know if anyone has used anything to remove it?

I can't take the screen out so I'll have to do it as is. I heard abrasive products shouldn't be used for obvious reasons so if anyone can point something that'll take it off nicely without damaging the screen, that would be appreciated.

I use Plast-RX on the rns-e screens if a clients scratched there's, takes a while & you will need to remove the screen to do it properly, its a fairly simple task to remove from console.

Buy Meguiar's Plast-RX from Meguiar's UK

Reactions: Raven13
I rather not attempt taking it off. I would rather just use cotton buds in the sides and corners. I heard Displex works but looking at what they (Displex) say under their video on the comments, they don't recommend it for LCD's.

Do you have any pictures of how it looks after with what you use, NHN?

It looks perfectly fine afterwards & no pics I'm afraid, you expect it to be really reflective afterwards but its not IMHO.

You would be best to remove screen & do tbh as it requires some genie in a bottle rubbing for sure lol.

Ordered the stuff. A little worried, though. It says not to use it on LCD's or Navigation screens.

The fate of my screen is resting on your reccomendation, NHN! Lol!

I just did it a few hours ago, Stone!

Like yourself, I was worried as this product is not advised to be used on LCD's or navigational screens, but anyway, I received it today and what can I say.... it looks absolutely brilliant. I actually really like the look of it now. The screen colours look stronger and not shiny at all. I'm contemplating not putting anything on it.

The stuff works great, without problems. At first when I dabbed it on and rubbed it didn't do anything and I was worried that these scratches are more extensive than just the anti-glare, but when I cleared it away, I noticed the anti-glare layer had a fade to it to the area I was rubbing and from there, it was just a matter of taking it all off. Honestly, it looks better than how it was before.

It'll take you about 10-15 minutes to do it all. I didn't take the screen out of the housing and just did it while it was in. Didn't have any problems although getting the sides required me to use a cotton bud and even then, you won't get it completely like the rest of the screen until you keep the bud at it. BUT one thing I will advise you, try not to use a cotton bud because I did that for a little too long along the corners and it seemed to give it a stronger shine, almost like it started to take another layer off the anti-glare off and make it super shiny, but really, that was only because I was extensively rubbing with a cotton bud along the corners and even despite the slight shine in the corners because of my own mistake, it still looks great. For the corners, just try to use a cotton ball and put a bud on it for the corners so there's not a concentrated amount of pressure on the sides which may give you a stronger shine.

I wish I had taken a before picture to show you because it looked unbearable. I'll take a picture of the after-look tomorrow and post it here for you to see.

Another thing! If you don't plan to take it out the housing, then don't make another mistake I made which is not taping off the matt plastic surroundings as when you rub your micro-fiber cloth or cotton balls or whatever you may use, it also rubs against the matt plastic housing around it and since you're going to be rubbing for about 15 minutes, it will take it's toll and also give the surroundings a shiny look which you don't really want, so get some masking tape and do that just before you start. Otherwise, that's really it. Don't press all too hard as this won't come off with pressure, but with patience and continuous rubbing. Don't go for any other product, my man. This worked great. If you can take it out of the housing, then it will be much better for getting the corners nice and leveled with the rest of the cleaned screen.

I bought the stuff 'Meguiars Plast-RX' from Ebay for £8.74. Will post pictures for you tomorrow, mate. It beats paying for a brand new screen any day of the week.

Reactions: Raven13
Glad my suggestion worked out for you :)

Yeah, I actually just came on to thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate the help!

Here's the pictures mate. Sorry I couldn't get any brighter ones. Flash on the phone wasn't working.

20130404181130.jpg

20130404181120.jpg

20130404181110.jpg

20130404181058.jpg

20130404181036.jpg

In all honesty, not bad at all, the rns is more open to the light than the full mmi systems, so would suffer more, but copes perfectly ok & not much difference than with antiglare still on, the mmi systems are sheltered to a degree from the light, so should be better than rns with & without antiglare.

I signed up just to thank you guys for posting this! I just got my A4 last weekend and noticed the "streaks" on my nav screen were exactly what op posted. Thank god for google bringing me here! I did manage to remember to grab before and after pic (If the sun decides to shine today I'll get one with the sun reflecting on it). I'll edit my post and add them later, just wanted to make sure I got my thank you in!

Process Notes: I did not remove the screen due to my inexperience with such things, but using the micro fiber cloth for the center and cotton swabs for the edges worked great. I just did my best to make sure I kept a clean edge against the frame and did small sections at a time. I may do some touch ups later since I saw a couple spots I didn't get in close enough. It did take me a little longer only because I was a bit paranoid I'd ruin my screen if I pressed to hard.

When I ran to the store I only found Meguiars Plast-X (in the US) but a quick search I found they are the same thing just named differently due to region. Forum post from Meguiars. Figured it was worth mentioning in case anyone else questioned it. Picked it up for $6.

Thank you!!
~Raven

Reactions: T33_BKD
hello raven did you manage to take the pics , just have encountered the same problem .looks like a scratchy cloud on my screen .

nhn, if you dont mind me asking whats rns? and also how difficult is it to remove the screen from the housing.
thanks in advance for your help. frank