2013 A5 Sportback SLine MPG

scotthldr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently took delivery of my 13 plate A5 Sportback Sline 2.0TDI 177, and I'm a bit confused on the MPG that Audi state for that model which is...

Extra Urban 69
Urban 51
Combined 61

When I took delivery of the car it was handed to me with a full tank, a week later the tank was under a 1/4 having just covered 250 miles of both town and open road driving so I put in another £50 of diesel which took it to bang on 3/4 . At the weekend I took the car for a long drive on the A9 and keeping an eye on my speed 60-70mph (average 51mph through the DIS)mostly in 6th I was getting a return according to the DIS of 34MPG. As you can see that is way off the mark set by Audi, ok I don't expect to get the 69MPG, but I don't expect to get 50% less.

My last car a 57 plate A4 SLine SE 2.0TDI 170 would return 45MPG on that journey.

I'm seriously thinking about contacting the dealership to have the ECU/fuel system checked over but was wondering if anyone else has came across the same thing before I do?

Scott

Last edited:
Is it because it's a new car and the ECU runs it a bit rich whilst running in? I have a 2013 2.0TFSI A5 Cab SLine and at 60-65 mph get around 35mpg according to DIS. I have seen 40mpg if I keep to a steady 60 and 28/29mpg at around 100 (on a closed circuit officer!)
These figures are still well below what Audi claim, but my car has only done 1800 miles so far.

Thought about the ECU/new car thing as well, but there's no mention in the handbook and the dealership didn't mention anything. Although your car is petrol it seems to be much closer to what Audi states than mine.

Well

I went to Swindon & back Sat Sun. Weather was cr4p Sat so between 60-75. Sunday was clear so 70-90 back. The higher speeds knocked a bit off on the way back but only 2-3mpg

TBH when i go to work in a morning to Mcr its telling me its ave 35-36 mpg. & thats in traffic.

And its got a remap

Interesting, similar mpg for similar driving style. I guess if you want the real economy you have to go for the 2.0TDI 170, but then I think that would be underpowered for the A5.
Would be great if some other people chipped in with their mpg too.

Well

I went to Swindon & back Sat Sun. Weather was cr4p Sat so between 60-75. Sunday was clear so 70-90 back. The higher speeds knocked a bit off on the way back but only 2-3mpg

TBH when i go to work in a morning to Mcr its telling me its ave 35-36 mpg. & thats in traffic.

And its got a remap

What 3.0TDi is it that you have and how old is it? For the M6spd Quattro the official figures are 31/52/42, so you're pretty much spot on.

I'm not even getting that kind of figures from the 2.0TDi M6spd 177.

Went round by the dealership today and the salesman says that it takes about 2500 miles for the engine to bed in(understandable), but even he agreed that what I was getting was low, so it's booked in for a check over the week after next.

Hi all,

I recently took delivery of my 13 plate A5 Sportback Sline 2.0TDI 177, and I'm a bit confused on the MPG that Audi state for that model which is...

Extra Urban 69
Urban 51
Combined 61

When I took delivery of the car it was handed to me with a full tank, a week later the tank was under a 1/4 having just covered 250 miles of both town and open road driving so I put in another £50 of diesel which took it to bang on 3/4 . At the weekend I took the car for a long drive on the A9 and keeping an eye on my speed 60-70mph (average 51mph through the DIS)mostly in 6th I was getting a return according to the DIS of 34MPG. As you can see that is way off the mark set by Audi, ok I don't expect to get the 69MPG, but I don't expect to get 50% less.

My last car a 57 plate A4 SLine SE 2.0TDI 170 would return 45MPG on that journey.

I'm seriously thinking about contacting the dealership to have the ECU/fuel system checked over but was wondering if anyone else has came across the same thing before I do?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Im glad its just not me then!! I took delivery of a 2013 A4 2.0TDi 177 Avant most recently and have covered about 800 miles to date. My fuel economy is very similar to yours and most disappointing!! My wife's A3 1.8 TFSi would do 450 miles on a tank and easily 36mpg, 48mpg at a steady 60mph. The best I have seen on the Avant is 38mpg!!
The A3 I would fill up every 3 weeks, the avant is the same frequency and it's diesel!

The Stormtrooper is an A5 quattro 10 model. Its in the A5 section

What 3.0TDi is it that you have and how old is it? For the M6spd Quattro the official figures are 31/52/42, so you're pretty much spot on.

I'm not even getting that kind of figures from the 2.0TDi M6spd 177.

Went round by the dealership today and the salesman says that it takes about 2500 miles for the engine to bed in(understandable), but even he agreed that what I was getting was low, so it's booked in for a check over the week after next.

i have a 2011 A5 sport back 2.0 tdi 170bhp quattro manual S line with 20" alloys and mine should average 50mpg according to the official figures yet i cant get above 44.5 average! every car ive ever owned ive been able to match the official figures including in other audis but not this one.

went to dealer and they said anything within 30% of the official figures and audi doesnt wanna know/investigate.

bit naughty really but could never give this car up, it's just awesome!

I noticed on my A3 (looking to upgrade to an A5, which is why I'm in this section) that in the colder months my mpg is a lot worse due to longer warm up times, more electrics on, etc. So I imagine to portray the best economy that Audi calculate the advertised figures in the warmer months.
On my journey to work, which is about 12 miles, 8 of which are on the M1, I can get a variation of as much as 10mpg when the temperature is around 0c compared to when its around 10c.
If we ever get a warmer day then I wouldn't be surprised if you see a better mpg on the DIS then.

Hi Scotthldr

Its interesting seeing your MPG figures for a brand new A5 2.0L TDI Quattro. I have 2010 A5 (same engine size, 170bhp, quattro) and I get similar figures. I put and similar post on a different forum: -
MPG - A5 Sportback 2.0L TDI quattro - A5_OC

On the motorway I get about 38-40mpg for a normal drive. I usually do 85mph (I have HRFS - heavy right foot syndrome). Round town its a different story, because of the low temperatures, it takes ages to get up to temperature. I only get 30mpg around town. I rang Audi and they asked me to reset the trip computers and refuel the car and manually calculate the MPG. Did this and the trip computer was spot on really. No fuel leaks or anything like that so nothing to check.

Love the car though. The Quattro system has been awesome in the snow & ice, even with 19" alloys. So wouldn't change it for the world :)