Audi A5 Eating petrol?

Laz

Reaction score
Hi there,

I purchased a 09/10 Audi A5 Sportback S-Line 2.0 TFSI last week and I put in £25 of unleaded and after doing about 35 miles, the petrol light has come up.

I noticed when reading the book that you should put in premium unleaded. I can't remember correctly, but I may have put in standard unleaded. Could this have been the reason why I have got such short mileage on £25 petrol at a price of £1.40 P/L?

Car mileage is 13K, so it's a relatively new car. It should do around 43MPG according to the book. Can anyone help me out here?

How much does the tank hold? Wouldn`t believe the book saying you will get 43mpg maybe in Laboratory testing conditions , how long journeys are you doing, short runs /traffic will kill your mpg.

does it tell you the remaining range of the car? the light on my car comes on well before there's any danger of running out

Yeap agreed, it warns you way before its empty, so take that with pinch of salt, my A3 can do 30-50 miles before its actually empty.

Also agreed, take book numbers also with that same salt, real life usage is never the same as book figures.

how much was in there before you put the £25 in ?

"Premium" is the standard unleaded, so that's the right fuel to use.

You can't really work out your real fuel consumption without filling the tank, driving the car and then filling the tank again so that you know exactly how many miles you've driven and exactly how many gallons of fuel you've used.

Any estimates using the fuel guage won't be accurate.....

Also - I can't see that 43mpg is a realistic expectation. The official fuel consumption figures are taken on a rolling road in laboratory conditions and you won't replicate them on the road. The only use they serve is so that you can compare two cars and get a relative feeling of which is more economical than the other because they've both been tested in the same way.

My 2012 1.8 TFSI is meant to do 40mpg around town, 60mpg on a run and 50 mpg overall officially. I'm getting 36mpg overall at the moment and am quite please with that.

I think you'll get around 30mpg with a bit of luck out of your 2.0 tfsi but would be surprised if you'd get much more unless you were driving really economically....

This probably won't help you much, probably make you feel worse, I have a 2.0 TFSI that I bought new in Sept 2010, it has just gone round to 10,000 miles so you can see I don't go far in it and I fill mine up approx every 2 to 2 half weeks and get the most 260 miles per full tank, addmitedly it is all local stop/start mileage and very rarely any motorways but even so not brilliant, but it is a sexy looking car and thats why Ibought it because I like it.
Just part ex it for a 2.0 Black edition diesel with stop/start I'll let you know if this is any better !!

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I think the tanks capacity is 63L. I just put in £50 worth at a price of 141.9 P/L which gave me 34.24 litres, and on my gauge, it was just over half a tank.

Now on the computerised display, it said 272 mi, but when we got home, it went to 260 mi. (the journey was 3.5 miles from petrol station to home). So why is that? There was no traffic, it was through the motorway.

Don't belive the dis
As above u really need to brum the tank and work it out from there

Because its not exact, its constantly adjusts according to your driving styles etc, I often reset mine to zero due to this fact, I only am bothered when gets to the last quarter lol.

Ah right, thanks guys.

I was just quite surprised when I put in £25 when I first bought the car, because in my old Audi (1.6L), it took £25 just to get over half a tank and didn't expect a 2.0 to take double. I've reset my mi meter to tell me how much I'll do locally on the tank before my light reappears. I haven't been doing is using the start/stop, which I'll start to use now.

Another thing I've gotta say, I couldn't start the car weirdly enough just at the petrol station. The EPC light was on while trying to turn it on and eventually I got the thing to turn on. It's not been easy making a transition from such a modern car to an oldie. The Audi's going for a health check so hopefully they'll tell me if everything's alright.