Tuning Box or Mapping ??

slalomchamp

Reaction score
What am I to do?? My new A5 Quattro TDI 177 Black Edition has just been built and waiting at a German port for shipping. My current 9 year old A4 has had a tuning box for most of its 90.000 trouble free miles. The performance and fuel economy were much better than standard. The dilemma is since looking at forums I see that mapping is the preferred route but then warranty comes in, and when attached to dealership computers it is returned to normal or at least that was what used to happen now I hear that the ECU's are factory locked.

It then appears that the tuning box comes into its own as it has no effect on the ECU or are the new locked ECU's stopped that.

I would prefer to map, but think my option while under warranty is the removable tuning box. Any views on which one is best? if thats the advice

Stu

I had the same dilemma having recently purchesed my A5 after 7 years with a re-mapped Alfa 147 and after lots of research on here and other sites I came to the conclusion I didn't fancy having my ECU taken apart so have just purchased a tuning box from Andrew at DTUK, a very helpful bloke I must say. I haven't fitted it yet as it only arrived today but I think I've made the right decision.

Thanks for the information. I won't get my car for another month so would be obliged if you let me know what you think, how it performs and economy

Stu

Hey Stu, I went the way of a DTUK box from Andrew as well. I'm trying out the economy box just now and it's very good. After a whole month of driving on it with the same journeys and driving style I was seeing 4-5mpg above the standard box. :) Good times.

When required the power is there as well so you gain more mpg and keep the power so I can't complain at all. ;)

I didn't want to break open a locked ECU at this point either so that I could keep the warranty for as long as possible.

Cant remember the box but it was on my new A6 estate in 2003. I fitted it & it kept going into limp mode. I ended up nearly cutting my hand off trying to get the box off one day before audi assist turned up & voided the warranty. They reset the ecu & said there was nothing wrong.
After that i ran it for a few months with no map & it was fine. I had it mapped @ Awesome & ran it for another 3 years again with no probs
I will always now just get a map on it.

The plug was right at the back of the engine & a right git to get off if i recall.

Not even got the car yet got to wait a couple of weeks. Seen so much about tuning boxes if I had not had one on my A4 for 80,000 good miles I would have forgotten about it. My performance was good and fuel consumption much improved that's why I want one on my new A5. I can't get a remap or lose warranty but I can fit a tuning box as I believe it will not effect the locked ECU. Just looking for best box for the job or wait three years till I can get a remap

Stu

I have a Racechip Pro 2 on my 3.0 TDI seems a quality bit of kit with decent support. £186 from Zee Germans, adjustable maps etc. I can say that performance has improved quite dramatically, they claim 300 bhp and 541 torques, Id be a bit skeptical about that without getting it on a dyno. But it feels more eager to go and pulls harder, I cant really say I have seen any MPG diffence eitherway. No increased smoke either and so far no issues at all with limp modes or engine management lights.