S5 not turning over

s3blackED2010

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone help my S5 is not turning over, I went out to start this morning, it cranked for a second and since then the ignition comes on but absolutely no crank. The battery has 12.3 V across it at rest and so I suspect the starter motor, I would like to locate the starter motor to investigate, anyone know where it is located.? Or have any other ideas as to the prob cheers Ben

Put your meter on the battery then turn on the lights. If it drops significantly then it is a battery issue.

Put your meter on the battery then turn on the lights. If it drops significantly then it is a battery issue.

Car has had an 800Ah battery pack on it to test, and battery is fine. Its a 2008 S% and only done 46k miles, could the starter motor really be goosed and if so would audi look at good will since its not an item that you can abuse like a clutch, Thinking it may have been dodgy to begin with??

Don't really know much about these things, but there must be an isolator in the circuit which is why you have to have your foot on the clutch on a manual, and presumably have to do something like have it in Park on an automatic gearbox ? Maybe that could be on the blink ?
Not sure how you would check for that, but maybe someone else on here can advise.

More likely too be something minor such as an one of the switches that feed into the engine management software.

My 2012 A5's start and stop system has been playing up and on a couple of occasions, I also got no response when I pressed my key to start the engine.

They traced the issue to a faulty switch on the gearbox (that presumably told the car when it was in neutral...)

Could be something similar on yours. There's always the chance its the starter motor, but more likely a smaller component in the chain....

Not sure how you'd find out without proper diagnostic tools though...

Not like the old days when you could just follow the electrical circuit from battery to starter motor...