Audi A5 2.7 TDi vs BMW 325D.. any input?

G

_G_

Realizing my petrol days are numbered I test drove the a$$ holes choice of car... the BMW coupe (2008)... 325d M Sport... did not sound diesel at all... very well isolation of sound and vibration... more like a 6 pot petrol... so I'm an Audi boy... and I am planning on staying Audi rather than going to the dark side... how does the A5 2.7 TDi fair up? Is it a smooth drive and not diesel like at all? Or is a noisy rattle box?

Any advice appreciated... looking at a used 2009 model with 110k on the clock, 2.7 TDI multi-tronic. Cheers.

A friend has this enginer in his taxi but with the manual box. You obviously get the diesel sound a little on the outside but for the most part I wouldn't notice the engine sound at all in the cabin. I've found that the V6 engines are less rattly than the L4's anyway, so you're better straight away. :)

I like the sound of my engine when I press on though. ;)

I'd be more inclined to go one up & get the 3.0 tdi quattro, lovely engine.

Why would that be? Is it worse than the s-tronic or something?
different type of gearbox - s-tronic is essentially manual with automatic twin clutch. Multitronic is cvt automatic and it will feel like it.
Depends on what are your expectations for the car but my personal preference would be S-Tronic. Multitronic is requires getting used to it.

oh dear... I do like my DSG/S-Tronic... I drove a CVT a few weeks ago and it was so frustrating... I was half expecting it to learn my driving style and adapt... read around on the internet and all these reviews keep bigging up how well mated the multi tronic is to the 2.7... alas... back to the drawing board for the s-tronic version... and these CVTs are more expensive to fix when things go wrong IIRC... you could probably buy and fit a mechatronic twice compared with the CVT repair bill...