Do S5's make their power?

dano17439

Reaction score
Hi guys

As per title, as we know the RS4 normally dont make the claimed 414bhp so as the S5 is a detuned version of the engine, do they make the 354bhp claimed or in general are they also a bit down?

Thanks

OK, has anyone had there standard S5 on a dyno, and did it make the power Audi claim?

Had a test drive the other day & it certainly didn't feel like 350 horses...

That was a V8 one...

I could be wrong, but my old S3 just feels quicker.
I'm sure the S5 has LONG legs, so maybe feels a bit lethargic compared to what I'm used to.

I test drove one whilst thinking about it - I think if they make the power or not isnt so much the issue most of the time - its just they are soooo heavy that a stage 1 S3 feels quicker, an A5 3.0 TDI q does not feel any slower than an S5 imho.

They are nice cars but if you want to feel fast they will not deliver at all.

the on-boost surges of the TDI or S3 could make it feel faster than a NA V8.... also bear in mind that it's the mid-range torque that makes a car "feel" quick, e.g. the 3.0T (supercharged) V6 "only" prodiuces 310/328bhp and the 4.2 V8 346-349bhp.... but the V6 gets 4.9sec 0-60 and the V8 5.2/5.3sec and feels a quicker too.

I know the A6 has the 3.0T in a detuned state, but even at 300bhp, it's a quick car, but not an RS/S car quick.... I test drove one last week, but I'm going to test-drive the 245PS and 204PS 3.0TDI's (in the A7) next week, once the ice and snow clears... there's a few of the A7's with the "BiTDI" (3.0TDI @ 313PS) that are creeping closer to my budget, but not sure if it's worth the extra... might even settle for the 204PS with all the lower insurance / tax / fuel bills that it comes with... but need to test drive it first.

Last edited: