Audi A5 tuning box (2012 model)

Drewwebster44

Reaction score
Hi guys

Can someone help here in to finding what you think is the most suited box for the 3.0 V6 245 engine for this car.
There seems to be many companies advertising boxes but unfortunately dont have a clue when it comes down to this etc

cheers
DREW

Is a tuning box you want specifically (rather than a remap)? I take it your car has an ECU that needs to be opened up to be remapped.

First port of call is DTUK on this site if you want a tuning box (PM ABYSS for more details or go to the DTUK forum section under sponsors).

There are also a range of mapping agents in the sponsor section of the forum who will be able to perform straightforwards remaps on your car as many of them now have the tools to open up and re-seal ECU's with the OEM tamper-proof seals / screws etc.

I think it depends on what you are after, how little hassle you want to experience, and whether you plan to conduct any further modifications later on.

Hi Warren
Thanks for getting back to me. I presume with it being a new vehicle that i built to my spec a remap will validate any warranty on the car?
Was looking into boxes as a means of more power and when needed to take off for service then its easy enough and no trace etc

whats your thoughts?

To be honest I've always lived by the sword and died by it. Since 2001 I've had factory specced new cars running software and NEVER had an issue where a remap has thwarted a warranty claim (that'll be the kiss of death now I've said it!), but I think that is in part down to 'some' luck, but more down to the fact I over service my cars and never rag the car when cold (and do proper cool down routine).

As I've taken cars to various states of tune I've not wanted a map in a box as I like to be able to tweak parameters to suit the state of tune. If you just want a bit of poke a tuning box will be absolutely fine and saves you any hassle if you were to be one of the rare cases where engine issues are experienced.

I think it's worth looking at all the options to ensure you take the right route. If you are likely to change and have another diesel you may be able to take a tuning box with you, where a remap is car specific. I like the fact my remap has adjustable boost / timing / fuelling and offers a security function (fly by wire throttle override), so it's very much horses for courses.

Reactions: Drewwebster44
Thanks Warren
Been speaking to Andrew and he has been very helpful also

Cheers

He is a good guy, and will look after you well if you take the tuning box route!

Drew,

great to see youve found the forum and signed up :)

Great bunch of guys and girls on here, just ignore Warren as he doesnt like dervs lol.

The biggest downside to remapping a 2012 Audi is the fact that your ecu has to be removed, opened up and physical changes made. This is one of the reasons i sold my RS3 as i couldnt live with 340bhp, nor something as invasive as that to unleash the extra 60 horses.

So a few cars later im not driving (as per our emails) a 245PS Q7 Sline Plus :)

If you have any further questions dont hesitate to email me, or ask away on here.

Reactions: Drewwebster44
Thanks again Andrew :thumbsup:

This is ours :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350407333214692

Drew,

great to see youve found the forum and signed up :)

Great bunch of guys and girls on here, just ignore Warren as he doesnt like dervs lol.

The biggest downside to remapping a 2012 Audi is the fact that your ecu has to be removed, opened up and physical changes made. This is one of the reasons i sold my RS3 as i couldnt live with 340bhp, nor something as invasive as that to unleash the extra 60 horses.

So a few cars later im not driving (as per our emails) a 245PS Q7 Sline Plus :)

If you have any further questions dont hesitate to email me, or ask away on here.

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons that I went with Andrew's DTUK box. I don't want my ECU to be broken open and remapped and then have an issue and be denied warranty. Yes the remap can be specific to your car and gearbox and get the very most out of it but then the box does the job and in my mind is safer for your warranty while still giving you the good gains.

Like I said in my PM to you, if you turn it up too high then you can see the EML but all you have to do is then back it off and once you restart the car it goes back to normal. But on the flip side, if you have a remap that causes the EML to flash up then you have to go back to them and pay to have it re-done or removed...

If you're looking for more power/torque/mpg then the DTUK box is a really good option and saves the headache of paying someone else to do a bunch of work that you can't remove easily if your car needs warranty work or servicing. :)

I had a remap on my last car, then engine went (not through fault of the map I may add, stealers fault!) so then went for a DTUK box and didnt really notice any difference between the two, both seemed to give a similar increase in power and mpg etc. So if you are concerned about warranty and opening the ECU then I would recommend DTUK. Andrew is really helpful.

Reactions: ABYSS and Daggerit