Goodbye S3 and hello A5!

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Have taken the plunge and ordered an A5 Sportback 3.0Tdi Quattro.

Costing a little more than the S3 but managed to get a really good lease deal with Audi and hopfully with the fuel saving it should end up saving money.

Now for the wait until collection day and hope I have made the right choice!

Nice purchase, I doubt very much it will feel slower than your S3 in real world terms! I test drove a 3.0 tdi sportback in red 6 months ago, and it was a very nice machine to drive and be in!

Thanks jojo, I test drove a pre-facelift 3.0 and it was very nice so hopefully this should only be better!

A very good car, and dare I say it.... a better all round proposition than the S5 (not that I'd openly admit to preferring a diesel over a petrol!).

That engine in the big A5 just gels so well, and when I tested both back to back if I'd gone A5 my money would have been on the 3.0TDi Quattro.

I think you'll love it, feels very much more a quality product than the S3.

Thanks guys, can't wait now!
I was considering the s5 as oddly enough its a little cheaper to lease than the 3.0tdi, but fuel consumption and co, car tax is much worse. I know the diesel won't sound as nice as the s3 or s5, but remap it and I am sure it will be almost as quick.
Just hope they give me a build date soon and hope its January as estimated!

Hi Mate,

At the moment I am waiting to hear. I emailed the dealer just under 2 weeks ago and was told he couldn't tell if the car was in build or built but there was a car with same build details on the way to port. I chased again last week and was told yes it has been built but not at port yet so slightly delayed. Still hoping for ends of January though.

I am not too sure whether I should keep chasing or not! I really do need it before en of Jan as my S3 is oging back early so if I hand it back on 31st I won't have another payment to pay on it and I won't have to get new tyres, service and oil change done so a big saving (one of the reasons of ordering the A5 early as it will save money overall).

I think I will leave it a couple days and then email again, alternatively if I am working from home agin tomorrow due to the snow I may pop over with me private plate certificate and gives me an excuse to hassle him again lol!

One thing I am a little worried about is getting used to the s-tronic in this weather. The S3 is manual I wonder if I will have more control. I suppose I have the paddles etc to use though!

Such a good engine choice... But then I would say that! ;)

I've found that the s-tronic has been faultless in the snow. If you want engine breaking then you get the seamless downshifts and can use the paddles if you're wanting control. To be honest I find it's just as easy to slip it into sport mode when decelerating and it's pops it down a cog at about 1600 rpm which is plenty extra braking. You'll love it for sure. Apart from trying to keep it clean just now...

Such a good engine choice... But then I would say that! ;)

I've found that the s-tronic has been faultless in the snow. If you want engine breaking then you get the seamless downshifts and can use the paddles if you're wanting control. To be honest I find it's just as easy to slip it into sport mode when decelerating and it's pops it down a cog at about 1600 rpm which is plenty extra braking. You'll love it for sure. Apart from trying to keep it clean just now...

Cheers bud,

I can't wait to be honest and it was the only engine choice for me that made sense. I would have liked the manual but s-tronic is slightly more efficient, less tax and ever so slightly quicker so it had to be.

I must say I do use a lot of engine breaking so being able to do this with the paddles will be great and it saves a bit of fuel as well.

I know this weather is a nightmare to keep them clean, not having white this time though so that helps a bit!

Cheers,
Nick

Yeah I use engine braking all the time and it's great for it.

Just wait until you get some miles on it and use the launch control for the first time... That'll catch you by surprise as well! Haha.

Thats good to know.

I have been reading about LC and I am sure will try it after I have 1k plus miles on it, but I dont think I will be using it too often, then again....

Have been looking at remaps too but a little unsure due to the removal of the ECU so will be talking to the dealers as last one were OK with it.

Yeah, LC is pretty fun. I think that I've used it three times because I don't fancy destroying my tranmission by using it all the time.

I'm surprised by that actually, I'm pretty sure if the ECU had failed and you'd broken it open and remapped it they wouldn't be very happy replacing it under warranty. :noway:

I like the DTUK box actually as it can be turned up and down as well as being removed if needed without leaving any signs it was there. :)

Yup and I think that it's perfectly suited to the big, torquey diesel as well. Very, very smooth and easy to use. As for purists, have fun in traffic. ;)

Yeah, LC is pretty fun. I think that I've used it three times because I don't fancy destroying my tranmission by using it all the time.

I'm surprised by that actually, I'm pretty sure if the ECU had failed and you'd broken it open and remapped it they wouldn't be very happy replacing it under warranty. :noway:

I like the DTUK box actually as it can be turned up and down as well as being removed if needed without leaving any signs it was there. :)

I think the trans can take the launching (I guess as long as you dont abuse it and do it several times a day!)

I am looking at both mapping or DTUK. I have done both before on the same car (not at the same time lol) and they both seemed pretty much the same but I personally would prefer to do a map as I think they do just about have the edge for me.
I am going to speak to my dealer anyway, they knew I had the S3 mapped but it didn't come from them and they werent bothered whereas this car will be through them with Audi/VW finance so they may say different.

I am sure I will have fun with the S-tronic, my dad had the paddles on his previous mercs and I used to like having a 'play' with them when I got to drive them. His Q3 is S-tronic too and I have yet to try it but he seems happy and he is really impressed with the way it handles on the snow.

Well, I went to the dealer this afternoon to drop off my retention certificate to make sure all is in place and he checked on the system and car is at the port and has been released. Hopefully it means it will be on a boat shortly and pending no delays on for collection towards the end of next week. Woohoo!

Nice choice. Keep a few quid put away for tyres though because you wont get many miles per set with that 3 litre lump sitting over them.

Cheers Dragon,

Luckily after I saw it is £800+ per set I thought add full maintenance this time as I will use at least one set a year so doesnt really matter about the tyres :racer:

Also called the dealer today and the car is on the boat so still all good for next week! :thumbsup:

Well, just had an email saying car was at Grimsby port. Not sure if this week will be possible so depends if they get it transported quickly I guess!

Bet you don't get much sleep tonight !!!!.. and don't forget to get some pics up.. :yes:

I'm considering moving from the 8P S3 to the A5 S/Back as well, so will be interested to see how you get on.....Enjoy !

Cheers Shadowman.

No, probably won't get much sleep but I am a night person anyway so will be watching tv till the early hours no doubt! :thumbup:

Yeah, of course will get some pics sorted.

I was toying with S5 or A5 Tdi but tax etc made the A5 best compromise and I am sure with a map will be just as quick as the S3. I think a few people have gone from S3 to A5 and not looked back. Will report after had it a while.

Cheers,
Nick

Well collected this morning and so far wow! Unfortunately only spent about an hour in it and covered about 30 miles but very comfortable and gear change is amazingly quick, can't really notice it! It looks really nice and glad I specced slightly bigger wheels than the standard 18's and the tinted windows and black styling pack looks great against the grey. Wish I had booked a day off work now to have a play and work out all the gadgets lol!

Sounds good Nick......bet you will enjoy the drive home from work ..... Really glad you like it, and I'll look forward to an update when you've covered a few more miles and some pics .

Would be really good to hear how it compares to the S3 as well...Enjoy !!

Thanks Guys,

Only managed to do about 30 miles so far as I was working from home so will get a good run to work and back tomorrow! I was very tempted to sit there playing with the gadgets and go out for a spin but had my 2 year old to look after as well and as much as he would be up for going out in the 'audi brum brum' I wouldn't be able to concentrate lol!

So far so good though, great having electric seats and lumbar for the first time and loving the alcantara.

Only pic I have so far and my son wanted to come and see what I was doing and got in the way! Hopefully my Dad will have his camera at work tomorrow so will try and get some better ones.

IMAG0570

Thanks bud, yeah I am glad I changed from Lava to Daytona, I know its a common colour but it is so nice on any Audi model IMO.

Took a few pics yesterday before I left work! Dirty already and only a day old!!!

DSC 0351DSC 0352DSC 0353DSC 0354

Reactions: Reload
Looks awesome! How's the pace compared to the S3?

Very nice. The B8 lights just make the front look so mean! "Im an audi and if you get in my way ill literally fk, you, up"
Good purchase

Looks awesome! How's the pace compared to the S3?

Cheers, not really 'opened it up' yet! Dealer said just do it and my heart says do that too, but head says run it in a bit first. Have given it a little boot from about 20mph up to just under 3k revs and it does seem to pull pretty well. Luckily the diesel engine isn't too loud either and the V6 sounds nice. Just about to go on a 100 mile round trip so may have a little blast on the way back!

Very nice. The B8 lights just make the front look so mean! "Im an audi and if you get in my way ill literally fk, you, up"
Good purchase

Thanks mate and yes I think the new FL audi grille and led's look really nice. I must admit a few people have got out me way on the back roads near work so I dont have to drive too much on the grass/mud which is nice of them! :thumbsup:

Wheels look good! :thumbup:

Are they the 19s? Used to have a set on my A5 cab

Looks lovely Nick, shame you are so far away or we could compare new motors!
We have just gone from a A3 1.9 to a 2010 A5 3.0tdi Quattro S Line Special Edition!

A5 activity seems pretty quiet on here... Have you headed over to Audi A5/S5 Owners Club - A5_OC yet??