2012 S5 MPG ?

Paul_S5

Reaction score
I collected my new S5 on Monday and done just 250 miles so far, absolutely love the car and have taken it fairly steady so far, but have only managed to get 22-26 mpg. Dealer says that this should increase when I have done 3000-4000 miles?

Would be grateful for feedback from others who may have the 3.0 litre S5, as was hoping for closer to 35mpg as per brochure!

Brochure figures are literally unobtainable. Seems like they set them in a vacuum where wind resistance and hills don't exist.

I've got the use of an S5 for a couple of days next week so I'll see what it's doing and report back. Will need to check if it's 4.2 or 3.0 though as I'm not sure.

Thanks Warren - thought 35mpg would be too good to be true, let me know how you get on..

Brochure figures are literally unobtainable. Seems like they set them in a vacuum where wind resistance and hills don't exist.

I've got the use of an S5 for a couple of days next week so I'll see what it's doing and report back. Will need to check if it's 4.2 or 3.0 though as I'm not sure.

the most my mate has got out of his '11 s5 is 28mpg driving steady as you like, but under "normal" driving averages around 19-24mpg.

like you say brochure figures are just set in a perfect world

3.0 btw

:icon_thumright:

the most my mate has got out of his '11 s5 is 28mpg driving steady as you like, but under "normal" driving averages around 19-24mpg.

like you say brochure figures are just set in a perfect world

3.0 btw

:icon_thumright:
Cheers for that, I got 22mpg on way home last night, so your mate was spot on.

brochure figures are 'government figures' which we all know are done so that all cars can be 'comparable' but these tests are done on rolling roads with no wind resistance etc. sometimes even done on benches! so it's a safe bet to take off 10-15% off of the brochure figures, so 35 - 15% = 29.75... so anywhere around there would be excellent. realistically though, mid late 20s i'd expect.. that's just from calculations, I haven't owned/driven one long enough to make an informed estimation..! got any pics though? i do like a nice s5!

Just had it confirmed its a 3.0TV6 version I'll have (Sportback), but it's mapped and tuned so will be interesting to see what detriment it has on MPG.

have a look on the b8 s4 forum as they are all the 3.0 tfsi and similar drivetrain.

How tuned warren as im trying to track the right s4 and interested in just who in the uk can tune them well as they respond so well in america. be nice to see if just a map or map and pully upgrade.

Thanks just added a couple of pics to my garage

have a look on the b8 s4 forum as they are all the 3.0 tfsi and similar drivetrain.

How tuned warren as im trying to track the right s4 and interested in just who in the uk can tune them well as they respond so well in america. be nice to see if just a map or map and pully upgrade.

Not sure, I'm doing a full review on the car for the site next weekend but I get the full spec tomorrow morning. Is mapped, likely to have suspension mods, an exhaust and some other trinkets, but not sure on the pulley.

I tried an S5 4.2 V8 when I changed car last May and whilst it sounded gorgeous and was quick it just didn't really stir my soul. The 3.0V6T always looked the better combo, so I'm intrigued to see whether I may have chosen differently if the car had been the 3 litre.

Got it's a thirsty car! But absolutely fantastic. My experiences today: LINK

Now had the S5 a week and love it, already done 400 miles. My Average on whole tank has been 23.5mpg, so not too bad but no where close to Audi's figures. The highest individual journey to work (approx 20 miles) staying at speeds under 60 in traffic I have managed max 29. Will be interesting to see if overall figure improves as Audi suggest and I do wonder what the real mpg figure is in the 3.0tdi, but the sound from the V6 is amazing!

Now had the S5 a week and love it, already done 400 miles. My Average on whole tank has been 23.5mpg, so not too bad but no where close to Audi's figures. The highest individual journey to work (approx 20 miles) staying at speeds under 60 in traffic I have managed max 29. Will be interesting to see if overall figure improves as Audi suggest and I do wonder what the real mpg figure is in the 3.0tdi, but the sound from the V6 is amazing!

Paul

Does the black optic grille that you have there have some shiny black strips on it where the chrome is on the platinum grille or is it all matt black on the horizontal vanes?

SB

I collected my new S5 on Monday and done just 250 miles so far, absolutely love the car and have taken it fairly steady so far, but have only managed to get 22-26 mpg. Dealer says that this should increase when I have done 3000-4000 miles?

Would be grateful for feedback from others who may have the 3.0 litre S5, as was hoping for closer to 35mpg as per brochure!

Hey, Just to give my experience. Picked up my 2012 s5 in april, at first I was getting some pretty poor economy, but as the miles go on it does seem like its getting better. Currently I am on 3000 miles and managed to get 36.6 MPG over a 190 mile motorway trip which even ended up with my queuing for 30 minutes getting back into london. I am sure the start/stop helped for that bit.

I do find that it heats up the engine VERY quickly, and during that time it tends to be very thirsty. An example of this is my short 2 mile trip to football where i managed to get 7 mpg!! (I'm not sure if I should be impressed with that or cry)

Paul

Does the black optic grille that you have there have some shiny black strips on it where the chrome is on the platinum grille or is it all matt black on the horizontal vanes?

SB

It has the £300 option "Black styling pack", the grill is all matt black with black trim also around windows instead of standard silver.

Hey, Just to give my experience. Picked up my 2012 s5 in april, at first I was getting some pretty poor economy, but as the miles go on it does seem like its getting better. Currently I am on 3000 miles and managed to get 36.6 MPG over a 190 mile motorway trip which even ended up with my queuing for 30 minutes getting back into london. I am sure the start/stop helped for that bit.

I do find that it heats up the engine VERY quickly, and during that time it tends to be very thirsty. An example of this is my short 2 mile trip to football where i managed to get 7 mpg!! (I'm not sure if I should be impressed with that or cry)

Good news thanks, now done 1300miles and getting 26mpg, approx 330 miles per tank, so fingers crossed this will improve over the next few months.

I have a 2.0 TFSI Quattro auto and am only seeing 22 mpg around town and 29 on motorway which is dreadful.

Audiuk said it would get better but after 4000 miles nothing has changed.

If I drive @ a steady 60mph on the motorway and turn the air-con off I get 33-34mpg. However this makes for a long day :)

If you look in the front cover of your service book it should tell you (in miles per litre) what you should expect for YOUR car. Mine says 8.8 which translates to about 32mpg.

I'm not sure why the difference or indeed the vehicle specific variations but suspect it has to do with a combination of weight and the options you have fitted to the car. But that's just an assumption.