The Pursuit of Harmony: Audi S5 in Como, Italy

Andreas_D

Reaction score
Website
www.driving-vacation.com
In the slightly overcast balmy morning, with barely any sleep but fully energized, my date, Audi S5, and I board a ferry at Cadenabbia, a town just south of Menaggio, with the destination Bellagio. Many travel programs and books have been published about this region. It is not hard to imagine why. This is the land of Leonardo Da Vinci and Michaelangelo...

Photo gallery

Bee-stung lips, seductive eyes, and athletic yet sexy body shape are the attributes that Angelina Jolie and Audi S5 have in common. So, it was an easy decision for me to setup a date through the Audi Driver’s Day program (Redirect) with an S5 for my spring driving vacation to Lake Como, Italy. Speaking with friends, Chris, Christiane, and Miriam, at Audi Forum, Ingolstadt, I learned that George Clooney has a villa on Lake Como. So, maybe, I would see Clooney, Pitt, Jolie, and Damon there. Maybe, they would be there planning for the Ocean 14...

Photo gallery

The sonorous whirl of the engine gave me the tingling sensation when I shifted from second, to third, to fourth, to fifth and finally to sixth as I entered A9 south. In an almost deserted Autobahn, on late Saturday night, I reached the cruising speed of 230 km/h at the altitude of about 500 meter above the sea level. Audi once again performed its sorcery. It was easy to understand how the R8 fooled me on how fast I was actually going. But to experience similar feel on the S5 was a big surprise...

Photo gallery

This S5 communicated the road feel to my hands through the adaptive suspension and the precise steering system. It told me how much power I had applied and how much more I had in reserve and ready to be unleashed through the fine tingles and whirls and burbles. The car drift and rotation were communicated through the cocoon-like leather sport seat to my spine so I could perform the necessary minute adjustment on the power, the braking, and the steering. It was an amazing human-machine bio feedback system...

Photo gallery

Driving to the center of Como, I see the parked milk truck that passed me forty minutes ago. Turning onto the Lungo Lario Trieste main waterfront street, the traffic gets really busy. Near the roundabout I see rows of Ducatis, BMWs, Hondas, Suzuki racing motorcycles parked like the Deutsche Bahn railway table. Across the street at the Golosita corner outdoor café, the riders are congregating and enjoying the beautiful sunny day. The red, yellow, green, blue, and orange riders’ customs and helmets add to the already colorful ambience of this town...

Photo gallery

In the world where many car manufacturers are competing over beastly horsepower, Audi produces yet another fine machine. S5 doesn’t require any fiddling of the horsepower setting, the gear box setting, the launch and yaw control programs, the anti slip differential setting, the torque distribution modes, and the turn-signal duration setting to drive it in the spirited manner. All I have to do is to press the Start/Stop button with the key in my pocket and then drive. That simple! And simple life should be...

Photo gallery

Read more...