1.8 Cylinder head bolts removal tool

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I need to remove the cylinder head, so need the correct tool to remove the head bolts. I just want the one tool, as I don't plan to remove any other cylinder heads, also must be 1/2" drive. I've seen one snap-on tool on ebay for just over £21, is that a good price or can I get one from halfords, eurocarparts etc?

Is it the same M9/10 Polydrive (Ribe type) as the V6 engines? If yes the cheapest I could find was about £16 delivered on eBay. Didn't want to spend more than I had to as I will likely only use it on the one head job.

If it is the polydrive type, a little tip is to tap it into the head bolts with a small hammer before trying to undo them or it slips and chews the bolt heads up really quickly.

This is the one I think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Audi-Skoda...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item335e3492fb

a little tip is to tap it into the head bolts with a small hammer before trying to undo them or it slips and chews the bolt heads up really quickly.

That is my consern, that's why I want to make sure I get the correct one.

The reason it needs tapping home, is that the bolt head, by its design has a bit of a cup effect going on and is invariably full of oil. Pushing the tool into the bolt head doesn't displace the oil and it only goes in 1/4 to 1/2 way. A gentle tap helps to squeeze out the oil and seat it fully home. :sm4:

I Understand that, my consern is that possible **** in the bolt not just excess oil and the use of a cr@p tool & 15 years with being in the same possition = one stripped head bolt......

unless you plan on whipping off heads all the time it is a £15-20 bit of jewelry that will sit in your tool box for the next few years.
I have one if you just need to borrow one, not planning on removing heads anytime soon.

works a treat and is the VAG specific one rather than a generic one