puncture problem

sash

Reaction score
Bit gutted, got a puncture on the outside edge of my 18" goodyear f1s, it was a ****** fat screw.
i took the alloy off and put the audi spare (looked like a 16" or 17") on in its place so i could go and get the puncture repaired. I was told they couldnt repair it cos of the location of the puncture.
So i get back to the car and decide to move it round the corner with the spare on. As i tried to pull off there was resistance, almost as if the handbrake was on, it just didnt want to move. I gave some more revs then jerked forward a little and was then fine, it started moving.
I am really worried that i may have done some damage but cant tell much at the moment as its dark. I cant think for the life of me what would have been causing the resistance and why it jerked forward, any ideas?

What is the exact size of the spare, what it says on the tyre?
If it is like the standard 16" 1.8t wheels like mine then the spinning radius is the same as my 18s with Avon tyres, so i can use it as a spare.
That would be right about the puncture as they can not be repaired if the damage is in the side wall.

Yep, gutted about he puncture.
I think its a 17 to be honest.
im really worried about why i had the resistance when i tried to pull off

Could be worse mate told me in germany they aint aloud to fix ANY punctures! imagine brand new tyre driving out the dealler and they say bin it ! on the plus side im told thats wher we in the uk get most of our 2nd hand tyres from! at a fraction of the price , dont u just love those nice germans lol

[ QUOTE ]
fallmonk said:
Could be worse mate told me in germany they aint aloud to fix ANY punctures! imagine brand new tyre driving out the dealler and they say bin it ! on the plus side im told thats wher we in the uk get most of our 2nd hand tyres from! at a fraction of the price , dont u just love those nice germans lol

[/ QUOTE ]

About the Germans...it's all about safety! They have High Speed Highways and a fixed tyre has a bigger probability to blow at high speeds...

Goodyear F1's are the worst tyres I've used on my S4...I had them for 2 months, hit a pot hole, threw away two tyres. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now, I only use bridgestone Potenza S03 on 18" wheels

And about that problem, might only be from the spair...so no worries! If after you change your tyre and all is back to normal and you still have that resistance then you have a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Thanks G, TBH i want to replace all 4 for a different profile, i was thinking of change to toyo t1-r on 225/40/18 but i have so much tread left on the F1s that its unjustifiable to do it right now. Whats even more gutting is that i have to replace the front 2 tyres, not just the ******** one, to get matching grip on both the fronts, gutted!
As for the resistance problem, im hoping it only happened cos of the spare, i cant wait to get these tyres on and put my mind at rest.
Just out of interest im wondering if there would be any problem with using a different tyre profile on the front?
I was thinking of putting 235/35/18 on the fronts, i have 235/40/18 on the rear?
If not i might take a trip down to QST to get my H&R comforts taken up a notch or 2 to stop this rubbing problem.

[ QUOTE ]
s4sh said:

Just out of interest im wondering if there would be any problem with using a different tyre profile on the front?
I was thinking of putting 235/35/18 on the fronts, i have 235/40/18 on the rear?
If not i might take a trip down to QST to get my H&R comforts taken up a notch or 2 to stop this rubbing problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there would be a problem using a different profile...it will wear out your tyres quicker and you won't have good control or handling (IMO).
I don't think that you can play with the tyre's height, but you can play with the width...but I don't really suggest it since it's a quattro (I think).

If I were in your shoes, I would definitly sell my used goodyears and get myself a set of good tyres... I haven't personnaly used Toyos but I hear good things about them...I love the Potenzas though.

G

Cheers G,
Seeing as you have had the F1s as well, how are the pots better than the F1s?

[ QUOTE ]
s4sh said:
Cheers G,
Seeing as you have had the F1s as well, how are the pots better than the F1s?

[/ QUOTE ]

More rigid, heavy duty, better handling, smoother ride... I've hit pot holes with my potenza's that would blow any tyre apart and yet they still handle it very well

G

Wow, that sounds a lot better. what size tyres are you running on?
Thanks for the help G.