Dull "Hmmmm" sound on cold S4

I

imported_DrOdius

Lo Peeps,

Just noticed today that when my S4 was cold, there was a low "Hmmmm" (my best description of it) sound that seemed to be coming from the rear drivers side of the car. After a while it went away, but just wondering if anyone knows what it could be / or if something's on the way out...

Also when cold, there is a slight metallic rattle from the engine bay which goes when the car is warm. Only seems to be 1st thing on a morning... Any ideas ??

You can tell the warrenty is nearly out... I'm getting paranoid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Well when the S4 is cold, it usually jumps to 1200rpm when you start it, right? So the hummmming sound might be coming from the muffler (have you changed it?). If you're staying in a cold area, then it's a must that the coolent you use for your engine is freeze proof. The clinging sound..mmm, open the hood and stand over your engine when you start it, check from where the noise is coming from...might be the fan (wild guess).

G

hmmm, is the hummming sounds close to a whistle? If yes then it also might be your turbos... how many miles on your car? At high miles, some turbos just let go... So check it out! Suggestion: before the warranty expires, let them do a full inspection on your car and try to be there when they do it.

G

mmm... rattly type sound... not a turbo on its way out is it???

Does it come as the revs climb (As if when the turbos are spooling up)?

Humming noise... who knows... cant help there :/

Dr0Dius,

The Hummmmmmm sound could be the fuel pump. If so then there is nothing to worry about. I have had several petrol cars that do this when first started.

The metallic rattle you mention could be anything, where exactly is the sound coming from?

Jim.

Yeah sorry guys,

it is really vague and hard to describe noises and rattles.. the hmmmm (which sounds like a quiet constant fog horn) seems to go after a few mins, although this has only started happening this week - or the audiclean ear stuff is working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The rattle sounds like a loose heatshield, again goes when it warms up...

Anyway, I'll get it booked in - just to be sure - although I'll probably have the same problems trying to describe sounds to the stealers... last time I had a funny noise (just after I bought the car) that the dealers could not find, the engine undertray dropped down while I was moving quickly on the motorway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I suppose that we all get used to the noises that our cars make, and the slighest changes are easier for us to identify...

Does this noise ever occur when you are looking over the bonet into the engine bay with your hand on your hip whilst scratching your head????

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif