anyone ever lost the locking wheel stud key/adaptor?

jcb

Reaction score
****** lost mine and it turning out to be a PITA to replace.
Audi need the car on site to try and match one of 14 possibles and then order the right one.

trouble is I need to get the wheels off to bleed the brakes and therefore can't just drve down to Audi!!

what are the options for removing them without a key?

Get a socket thats only just bigger, near enough the same size as the locker then simply bash it over the locker with a club hammer, add ratchet and remove, its tried and tested!

Yep it works, had to do this on mine when I discovered the previous owner had lost the key.
Be wary though, I had to use a breaker bar on 3 and a big air gun on the other.

I am pretty sure it won't be that tight as I have only just put the b@stard back on having refitted the subframe.
been kicking myself since!!
will give that a go. cheers

if its the Audi fit locker you will need to hammer a hex key into it, IIRC i used a 13 or 14mm for my "replacement" key

Nearly as bad as me driving 200 miles last weekend to Lea's to do suspension, brakes etc upgrades & forgetting the poxy lock nut, got home had them of in 30 seconds flat, how much of a bummer is that huh, lol, 400 miles.

Oh well met some of your lads aswell which is a bonus except for Voorhees seat :asskicking:

its an Audi one, think I have some big hexs.
cheers

I hammered a 16 or 17mm socket over it. Just hit away and eventually it will start to bite. Then hit it some more till it's nice and snug and get a breaker bar on it. You will probably need four sockets though. :p

Problem is on the ones my SB has, there is an outer ring that spins so the socket approach is useless & trying to drill into those feckers is a mission as trust me had some decent bits & didnt even touch it as such, but alas.

I had the very same on my s4, used the very item Lee suggested and worked real easy

PS may car is still for sale in the classifieds

there is no outer sleeve on the OEM ones,
that threaded one looks the business but I am not sure about the eBay one, looks a bit fragile

well the 14mm hex stud worked a charm on one of them but stripped the inside out of the other,
a 20mm socket is too small and a 21mm socket goes on too easily.

looks like I am off to Halfrauds or some tool shop for a remover!

Well if all else fails could weld a nut on, make a mess of the wheel but they can always be refurbed huh.

Also you could dremel down the edge of the last one & then get a smaller socket on it mate, worked for me.

there is no space at all between the edge and the wheel for a dremmel bit without shagging the wheel.
just going to buy one of the screw on things listed above and hope for the best