Paint questions

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Some of the part that I've removed for the car are/have been coated in a black plastic type paint, I want to get some of this paint so i can recover the anti-roll bar, drive shafts etc.

Also need some advice on the following paints, and what to buy

Engine block paint
Exhaust manifold paint (is this worth the money as well, will it not come off with the heat)
Something that will remove rust
Good primer for parts that have been rusty.

heat resistant paint is self explanatory really for your block and manifold, as long as you give it a key it will be fine, i dont believe in rust removers, i much prefer digging it out and putting etch primer and a high build primer before paint, i think the black plastic type paint you are referring to is only a a satin black finish??? if it is then black hammerite will do the job fine for roll bars and drive shaft, just try not to get it all over the place mask rubber boots up and seals, also some news paper or wood on the floor will help to keep it off your pavement as its a nightmare to remove

hope this helps

For the anti-roll bar, it might be worth having it shot blasted and powder coated. I've just had mine done along with most of the rear suspension bits on my back end refresh. Some of the parts are difficult to paint and get an even coat but powdercoating gives a very even coat and is very tough.

For the engine block I would have a look for PJ1 satin black on ebay or where ever. It's an epoxy paint so will be ok without etch primer. Make sure you remove all the rust with wire brushes etc and it gives a beuatiful smooth finish.

I'm sceptical about exhaust manifold paint, eventually it will come off. Maybe worth having it shot blasted and look at calyx manifold dressing, not a paint but keeps it looking fresh.

As for removing rust theres a few roads. Shotblasting if you can remove the part and it's not delicate. Acid dipping or even try some bilt hamber deox, I've heard good things about.

i recommend pj1 i use it all the time on my bike engines its good stuff just mask off everything you dont want painted and remove as much old paint as possible,if its not going to be seen use bbq paint from b&q try this on the manifold i used it on bike exhausts before and it dont look to bad satin black only tho