Fitting a GT28R turbo - what parts needed

AndyC

Reaction score
Website
www.k-tecracing.com
Hi all

I have a 96 A4 1.8T AEB

I am about to get a larger turbo, the GT28R..

I am aware I will need to modify the downpipe and the boost pipe connection and the manifold connection..

but is there any parts available off the shelf for this job?

also does anyone have any pics??

Thanks

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
AndyC said:
Hi all

I have a 96 A4 1.8T AEB

I am about to get a larger turbo, the GT28R..

I am aware I will need to modify the downpipe and the boost pipe connection and the manifold connection..

but is there any parts available off the shelf for this job?

also does anyone have any pics??

Thanks

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

Are you planning on keeping the stock manifold? Have you got a sports cat?

You will need an 80mm MAF (from TT or S3) housing and make up an adaptor to fit this onto the intake hose. The stock intake hose will NOT fit on the GT28RS intake... its about 20mm too small! When i did mine on the A3, i bought a Samco TIP, cut off th bottom end, welded up a 90 degree angle tube with 2.25" stainless, and fitted the samco tip onto the end of this, and used a joiner silicone to join the angle pipe to the turbo inlet. I couldnt even get a TT intake to stay on the damn thing. You may also find some of the fluid lines are not correct.

Also you going to need new injectors (which im sure you know anyway)... Have you got them, or do you have a source? If not, i can sort you out with those.

Cheers

Rich

I hate you Markey!!!! Why did you have to show me that turbo conversion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had just got ideas of IHI modifications out of my system following Rich's posts....

Ok, can someone please clarify what's the difference between K04 turbos and GT28R???

G

A K04 is smaller and made by KKK, a GT28 is larger and made by Garrett (don't know if the GT28 is a ball bearing turbo or not).

In geneal terms a smaller Turbo will spool up faster so has less lag than a bigger turbo but a bigger turbo is capable of pumping more air so will ultimately be able to provide more power.

If you want more information follow the link Markey put up - PES have a load of information on their site.

Greg

Sorry Greg!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

!!!!!!You know you wanna bigger turbo!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
Ok, can someone please clarify what's the difference between K04 turbos and GT28R???

G

[/ QUOTE ]

As greg said.

The GT28RS and the IHI are HUGE in comparison to K04's... The K04 just cant shift the air needed for big power. A small turbo will spin up faster but will max out sooner... a big turbo will keep providing the engine with as much air as it needs. Now the IHI and GT28RS are roller bearing turbos...This helps eliminate the lag problem. THey spin up MUCH faster than a sleeve bearing turbo. The IHI i have peaks only a couple of hundred RPM later than the K03 which, for a big turbo, is pretty damn good.

Rasta, if you were to fit twin GT28RS's on your S4, you would be pushing 650-700bhp.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:

G

[/ QUOTE ]

Rasta, if you were to fit twin GT28RS's on your S4, you would be pushing 650-700bhp.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

ESS-SQUIZ me? Bake a pardon? what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Ok well, I'm kind of confused! And my pockets are starting to empty....

Can you give me some more details on that upgrade? Who does it? How? When? What?

Thanks to you, I won't be sleeping tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:

G

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

ESS-SQUIZ me? Bake a pardon? what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Ok well, I'm kind of confused! And my pockets are starting to empty....

Can you give me some more details on that upgrade? Who does it? How? When? What?

Thanks to you, I won't be sleeping tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

G

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure if anyone has successfully done it yet... Certainly nobody does a kit... Would all be custom. the amount of air these babies shift is huge... 350bhp from a 1.8T, and considering that 2 K04's can give you near 500bhp, 2 GT's will give you MUCH more! Would be a truly horrifyingly fast car!

You can get Hybrid K04's which would also work... probably be more straight forward to fit. Search audiworld for more info... theres a bloke on there with a S4 running low 11s 1/4 mile

Rich

righto

got the flanges coming with the turbo for the pipes etc...

got 380cc injectors with the turbo

MAF, not sorted that one.... is it totally necessary??

Rich, you got any pics?

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure if anyone has successfully done it yet... Certainly nobody does a kit... Would all be custom. the amount of air these babies shift is huge... 350bhp from a 1.8T, and considering that 2 K04's can give you near 500bhp, 2 GT's will give you MUCH more! Would be a truly horrifyingly fast car!

You can get Hybrid K04's which would also work... probably be more straight forward to fit. Search audiworld for more info... theres a bloke on there with a S4 running low 11s 1/4 mile

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, listen! I'm going to remap my car at the end of this month...from what I understand, there's a slight possibility that I might hit the 500bhp mark. So I'm crossing my fingers! And trust me, my car is really quick...I think around 4.1sec 0-60mph. So with a remap...might be quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't imagine what the GT28R's might do... it would be unreal!!!

G

Rich - are they (PES) right quoting 270BHP for the GT28 conversion? If you are suggesting 350 are they missing something.

Not that I would be interested in this sort of power etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

im not sure if that PES kit includes any engine management so you would have to get a remap and then be hitting the 300s im sure.

can't believe the stock management would even entertain the CFM from the GT28R... its at least double and I would have thought led to det... fairly soon...

??