1.8TQS mileage preferences...

voteforpedro

Reaction score
What's the highest miler you would consider if looking for a 1.8TQS? I was looking for 80-90k but am not having much luck. :( Seen a few for 130k+ for a little below budget, which would be OK if well maintained... I dunno.

Mine just turned 190k and still going strong. Just done 2 rear wheel bearings but they can go at any time. Personaly i dont look at mileage at all. If its been looked after it wont matter.

assuming the services have been done above and beyond and the cambelt is changed again, i see no issue
mine is around 120k now and going ok atm

Its a complete lottery mate, you never really know exactly how the cars been looked after no matter what the milage/history. Go for the cleanest example you can find and ignore the miles. Personally im just happy with good bodywork coz mechanical faults are an easier fix then dents and rust ect... But obviously, if its due a cambelt and aux fittings then thats gonna set you back a few quid, though can be a good price slashing point! Just forget milage and go on looks and feel mate!

Well it's not the T version, but I have a 1.8 with 230K on the clock, and the only problem it has is the gaskets are starting to weep, and apart from standard servicing item, it had a cam chain at around 150K.

My 1.8T with 120K is going well but had to do a lot of work as the last owner was just running it into the ground. I would look for a car where the last person looked after it.

Our old 1.8T had 190k on it before i changed the engine.

And i only changed the engine because it had run for 40k with a dodgy oil pump, and i felt better changing the whole engine than replacing the pump.

ANY B5 you buy is going to need work. Very few people are going to change everything that wears out (think bushes etc) unless they get told they're knackered by an MOT man.

As a result most will be on their original arms, shocks, springs etc.

If anything a higher mileage car could be in better nick, because instead of being at 90k when everythings about to start breaking, some things will likely to have been replaced already if its on say 130k.

I would just look for a decent history where everything adds up and if the car is clean enough go for that one.

I have had mine since 18k and its now 81k and its only needed a wheel bearing, rear diff seal, knock sensor and a temp sensor in those 6 and a half years. Hopefully everything does not start falling off now!!