is this good MPG

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
hey there guys and gals ive taken my car for a couple of runs now to pick some parts up for my brothers a4 soft top. The first place was from south wales where i live to warwick and back and then from south wales to birmingham, b6, post code the first trip was 254 miles round trip and used half a tank and the second one was 220 miles round trip and used just under half a tank. is that any good as i think for what the milage is on my car, 176,857 miles, on a p plate is rather good

On a full tank I used to travel from London to South Wales (Aberthaw) and when I got there I had about 80 miles worth of petrol left. So it sounds as if yor car (an s4 right) averages more mpg than my 2.8!

the most i ever got from the fwd was 420 miles from a full tank to the beep.

You cant really tell whats going on by saying "half a tank" you need to know the number of litres used. Only real way to do that is to brim the tank, do your run, then brim it again, then you know the amount of miles driven and the amount of fuel used, and can calculate the MPG.

The old car would do about 35mpg on a run and 28-30 around town. New car seems to manage about 30-31 on a run, and 25 or so around town. I guess a combination of the extra weight and the 4wd system causing the difference, as the new one has half the mileage.

I wish i had an S4 lol i have a 1.8t avant fwd but i will try that where i fill it up and run it then fill again Cheers guys