Hi, and please help........

themelv

Reaction score
.....I'm new here and I'm sorry I'm posting a question for a 1st post:unsure: I will say a proper hello when I have more time and a working audibus again.
My B5 tdi (90bhp) has failed her mot (245000miles so I don't mind)
I've the bits I need on a 1995 tdi (110bhp avant) in wales super cheap, will they fit mine ok? I'm also gonna get the MAF from the avant and the boost hose from the turbo as mines split!

Heres the list any comment or help is welcome.....

both front shocks and springs
bottom ball joint
rear drivers side caliper (is it just the hose that I think is different or the whole thing?

Is it possible to fit the leather front seats from an avant and modify/swap the leather from the rear bench?

Thanks Guys hope someone can help as I don't wanna make a wasted journey (4 hour round trip):keule:

Craig M

Ok, the front suspsnsion parts will swap over no problems, you;ll need to take the complete lower arms though, the balljoints dont come off.

As for the caliper, What do you mean the hose is different?

You dont say what age your car is, but there are two types of caliper on FWD B5's, early cars upto around 98ish had a cast steel caliper, and later cars had an alloy caliper. If your car currently has the alloy calipers, then you'll probably need the hose, caliper and carrier from the older car. I'm not sure i'd recommend that approach though, as the older iron calipers arent that great, and i certainly wouldnt want a missmatched pair. If your going to do it, take both.

The front seats will fit right in afaik. Again depending on the age of your car you might have seat mounted airbags, the 96 car most likely wont, so you'll need to hax the wiring a bit to stop the airbag light coming on.

Rear seats in an avant are split folding. They will fit your saloon, but if your saloon is currently fixed rear seats, you'd have to cut out the fixed bulkhead and weld/bolt in the brackets to take the pivots etc.

Also the MAF and turbo bits may not work, as the 110 engine has a different turbo and a different management system.

and it sounds like a lot of effort to go to to fix second hand parts to a car when the second hand dampers and calipers could be completely dead anyway

....I've been back from wales a few hours, managed to get the bits I wanted apart from the MAF, turbo, and interior.

It wasn't a wasted journey though :) The shocks and springs look in far better condition than mine (I suspect that it had replacements not so long ago?, the caliper is the older cast iron one BUT the only difference is the hose which I grabbed.
I understand that the cast iron will rust a bit, but it looks like the piston carriers pads handbrake etc etc are all the same. I can't imagine the quarter million mile alloy rear caliper will work that much better than the iron one? If it was the front I'd be thinking twice.

All I need to do now is source a cheapy bottom arm, and rear bearing, which one do I need if it says front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint" on the fail sheet"??? Wheres the cheapest place to get them from?

I'm also gonna do an oil change, filters pads and discs while I'm there.

On a lighter note the car I pulled bits off, had missing pipes in the engine bay and apparantly been up its bonnet top in water (bent conrods) BUT with 2 turns of the key she fired into life! Smoking like a chimney but alive none the less!

Just out of interest how many miles can I expect my tdi to soldier on for?
Thanks again for your help
Melv:icon_thumright: