front end metalic noise

205man

Reaction score
my car has developed a strange noise front the front end.

it is or appears to be coming from the drivers side and does it when u hit a bump even as smalll as a cats eye

its not a lncking noise or bang, it a more metalic noise alomst like something loose and metal plates banging , but it is also fairly high pitched and not a deep thud or bang, the arms are failry new and are genuine audi allround so pretty much ruled those out,

i have had quick look but cant see anything obvious, so im looking for ideas

cheers alan

ok had the front end up and wheels off and checked everything all seems fine and normal , nothing loose or worn etc. put car back down on its wheels and tried bouncing up and down the wing and still nothing.

but if you bang/knock the side the wheel the brakes make a noise, so took wheel of again and caliper, mount, etc all fine but the play noise appears to be from the pads sitting in the calliper, so dont think i can do much about it lol..............had similar problem on my 205gti those pads were slightly loose fit, but the noise went away eventually after driving it for some time........so hoping this will also as everyitng is new apart from the caliper

Looks like you answered your own question,lol

I was about to suggest Pads, you could tweak the inside pad 3 pronged spring to make sure its holding the pad correctly, mine used to clunk when taking the "play up" so i made the springs preload it slightly, all sorted.

cheers mark i had thought about doing that, also wondered if i could tweek the front spring that sits across the caliper , just to make it bit tighter,

ill give the back one a tweek and see how that goes.................but it will have to be another day now lol , i just finished washing and polishing her so not going to get it dirty now lol

alan