Quick Question: CAI

• Thread starter imported_WatchMeFlyBy
  • Start date
I

imported_WatchMeFlyBy

i love the way my firends CAI sounds on his GTI so my heart is set on getting one for my 2001.5 a4. I just dont want to get one custom made so which one do u all think i should get?
i heard they all suck but Evo is decent...any feedback will help me out as i wanna do it next week.
Cheers
AL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It's been discussed a few times before, and opinion is varied. Most say to never use an oiled filter/cone as this will slowly deposit oil on the MAF and cause dodgy running. Some induction kits use stainless steel mesh instead of oiled cotton, and so avoid any problems relating to this. The main concern when fitting cold air induction is to ensure you do just that: You have to make sure that you are not sucking in warm air that radiates from the engine - this is why standard airboxes are sealed units.

Now there are a few kits on the market that use sealed cone-filter units. This in theory increases the filtration surface area due to the larger surface area of a cone over a flat standard filter element, as well as keeping the air shielded from heatsoak. Some kits use slightly oiled cotton filters, some use the stainless mesh.

As for performance increase, as I'm sure you know, these kits are very unlikely to give any real gains over the standard setup. But from what I've heard, they can give you a louder, more throaty induction note, as well as amplifying the diverter valve.

Most of the popular kits are very expensive in my opinion, and I'm sure in some cases may give negative results if not fitted correctly.

As for makes, the most popular on here seem to be the BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox, and the Taipan Quickshift. The Taipan however is said not to be the best fit on a B5. Fellow 1.8T owner Snoop has the BMC fitted, and he seems to be very happy with the end result. I must admit, it doesn't look bad in the engine bay either. But my money is going on a remap and cat-back exhaust at the moment. Maybe I'll have a go at the BMC thing in a few months time, but not until I'm entirely happy that it is both cost-effective and beneficial.

Hope this helps.

Drew.

wow that helps alot. Thanks drew. does BMC have a website?
AL

Not sure about a website, but I think they've been discussed on here a few times. Do a quick search and you may find what you're looking for.

Drew.

I just installed the EVO short ram intake, and I am definately happy with it. I am a little disappointed in the loudness of my diverter valve (was expecting it to be louder), but it is noticable. Anyway... after some spirited driving the other night (to the point of my KO3 being bright orange), I stuck my hand near the filter and did not feel ANY hot air. What I did was separated the OEM intake snorkel and kept the smallest OEM intake piece which diverts air from the top corner of the grill at the intake (The piece held on by 2 screws). It ends up feeding outside air directly at the cone filter from about 4-5 inches away. This... plus EVO's double heat shield setup... keeps the intake area as cool as your going to get it.

cool makes me want one!

pity none available for the 2.7t

is the short ram a different model than the cold air when your ordering from the website?
AL

so does the cda sound good on an a4 or what, i want something that really growls

what about the carbonio one if thats how you spell it.
It looks ths daddy fits in the existing space of the old air box and is a complete sealed enclosure.

I have a supercharger on my car and it give it a very strange noise that people have to look round and look.

The carbonio ting is very expensive for what it is.