Volks AutosChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

cambelt service ?

I was about to look at doing a cambelt on my 2.8 V6.
    That has now been put on hold due to an unexpected visit to my local hosp for a bit of an emergency op.

so I'm thinking of getting the job done by a local VAG garage.
    Been quoted 440 for a cambelt swap with water pump thermo and small service (oil/filter).
    Does this seem about right?

Also is there anything I should get done while it's all apart?
    Might de-sludge it prior to this.
    I'm thinking serpentine belt and tensioner should be done along with thermostat and coolant temp sensor.
    but not up to speed on these cars so any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    ADS

parked up

Status
    Have a word with Adams4 on here - I didnt use him in the end (cos my engine had to come out for loads of other reasons!) , but he's been recommended by others and was very reasonable and flexible from what I understand.

I would deffo (from own poor experience!) get the all the rest you list done at the same time - it WILL all fail soon otherwise!! CTS isnt too much of a bother to do later but for 25 or so, worth the peace of mind.

ADD Thermostat to the list - tuppence in parts and everything has to come out to do it separately. (Again, I found this out due to lack of knowledge at the time!!)

Good luck for the op!
    '98 S4 with MRC remap and gutted pre-cats - Now SOLD.
    '70 Siva Minibug beachbuggy with Supercharged 1275 A-series
    '89 VW T3 Westfalia poptop 2.1 petrol
    '52 RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
    '52 Smart FourTwo (it is a turbo!) for when everything else is being mended...

6th Gear

Status
    Make shure they use a full cambelt kit wich includes the vibration damper (that costs about 100 quid on its own) ! Thermostat is a must and use only G12 coolant. 440 isnt a bad price, i do the cambelt kit + water pump + thermostat + aux. belts for 350 fitted. Oil and filter will be an extra 30 quid for a decent 5w40 synthetic oil and genuine Bosch filter. You get good value for money from me as the parts are over 250 quid trade prices and the job takes a good 6 + hours from start to finish ! Calvin, thanks for the reccomendations mate... Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    I'd probably take you up on the job Chris, if I weren't nearer Birmingham than London.
    But if I stay in London (I often do) before getting it done I'll give you a call.

I might see if I can save a few quid by supplying all the parts myself, I get trade prices on parts so may help, I'm just not used to paying someone else to do jobs I usually get paid to do.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    Make shure they use a full cambelt kit wich includes the vibration damper (that costs about 100 quid on its own) ! Thermostat is a must and use only G12 coolant. 440 isnt a bad price, i do the cambelt kit + water pump + thermostat + aux. belts for 350 fitted. Oil and filter will be an extra 30 quid for a decent 5w40 synthetic oil and genuine Bosch filter. You get good value for money from me as the parts are over 250 quid trade prices and the job takes a good 6 + hours from start to finish ! Calvin, thanks for the reccomendations mate... Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.
    Chris, you still owe me the aux belt - when are you gona put this in? you never answer my calls or call me back!

Cheers
    2003 Black 3.0 Multironic Cabriolet
    18" RS6s, 6000k HID conversion, Led interior upgrade.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    YE56 NDY reg for sale.

1st Gear

Status
    Well I've just picked the car up from a local garage, Lion Garage, and was happy.
    They did more jobs than I asked and for less money than quoted.
    Can't complain at that can I

6th Gear

Status
    what was the cost, out of curisoity

1st Gear

Status
    It was done at the Lion Garage in Tamworth.
    I'd recommend them and that doesn't happen often lol

They did all the stuff you have to do to change the cambelt, water pump, stat and belts etc..
    They also re-aligned the bumper and fitted the coolant temp sender.
    And oil/filter service and general inspection/diagnostics of the whole car.
    400 total.

6th Gear

Status
    thats not terrible at all. hope it all works out well