Rear Brake Calipers

hardhitter

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing the rear brake calipers on my 2000 1.8 TQS as the seals are gone and they have seen better days. I've been looking and I can only see them listed for 2wd cars. Mine are the cast iron type, but I've seen aluminium and cast iron ones.

Can anyone explain what the difference between the 2wd and quattro calipers is ?

Thanks

Quattros never got alloy calipers for some reason, bar the facelift S4, which got 256mm vented rear disks with alloy calipers.

FWD's changed from steel to alloy about half way thru production, around 1998 iirc.

I suspect the main difference between FWD and Quattro is in the handbrake mechanism, unfortunately i cant remember what the FWD handbrake mech was like.

No worries. I'm gonna get a seal kit and refurbish them myself. Exchange ones seem pretty pricey when I can clean them up and fit new seals..

Cheers

ye my only concern would be if the handbrake mechanism has siezed up.

I also found it a proper pig fitting new seals to an S4 alloy caliper, mainly due to the fact you cant just line it up and push it in, you need to **** around trying to "screw" the piston back onto the handbrake mechanism.

I've got a caliper wind back tool. I'm getting exchange calipers as mine were too rusty to clean up.

Can you tell us the differences between the pads as there seems to be a few pads that look similar but have small differences ?

Cheers