The re-spray has finally started!!

floyd 1.8 turbo

Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre
Reaction score
YES.................AT LAST!!!!...
My car is on the ramp at work so at long last i can get stuck into it, i've been planning this re-spray for must be a year now but i've never got round to it. Now i do have the chance as its been off the road for a few weeks because the brakes needed doing and it needed tax so its just been sitting about in the yard while i've been on holiday and trying to sort out some brakes.
so today i persuaded the old man to let me put it in the workshop so i can sort it out and give it a bit of much needed tlc! Gonna have to go in early, stay late and work on it during my breaks to get it done as all my spare time is taken up by my wife, 3 kids and house!! miss it so much just want it back on the road so it'll be worth it! Been collecting bits and bobs including-

Reiger RS4 style front bumper
Genuine S4 rear bumper
Genuine S4 side skirts
RS4 look grill
18" passat multispoke rims
Pagid discs and pads all round
Jamex cheap and cheerful coilovers

Its gonna be metalic black then that way its still a colour change but i dont have to paint in the shuts/inside of doors etc as its solid black now. Saves me alot of time and hassle although i'm quite gutted i cant have it white

Keep us up to speed with progress and don't forget the pics. We must have pics! Lots of them! LOL

I love a good project thread me.

Went into work early this morning and got started on the car. Only had an hour before i had to start work but managed to remove the front bumper, H/lights, side mouldings, windscreen and rear screen rubbers and door mirrors. Also took the wheels and arch liners off as it needs slight arch work and i'm gonna clean and re-underseal all inner arches.

If i've got time i'm going in tomorrow to strip the rear end and start marking the dents

Photo449.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo450.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo454.jpg
[/IMG]
Photo453.jpg
[/IMG]

Few pics from today, not very good quality as there from my phone

You did all that in an hour!! Holy jesus I thought I worked fast!!! (infact the first hour is spent with a coffee and a fag in my hand). Ref pics can you post the links to them instead of trying to get them to appear on here? It would be nice to see a few pics of your B5! Oh, RS4 grill is en route. Should be with you Monday or Tuesday recorded (signed for) delivery via royal mail.

Nice one, cheers Ollie. Yeah i dont hang about mate, the b5's come apart quite nicely anyway and it was on the ramp next to the tool box. Need to get it done asap, i've not driven it for about 6 weeks now...miss it!

I put the photo's on photobucket them copied and pasted the bottom link into the insert image box thing on here and i just get a box with a red x in it, what link should i copy and paste?

You dont have to paste them into the image box, do it directly onto the post you write. If you use the image box you probably didnt delete the http at start and when you paste your link you end up with that twice which faults the link.

Good progress on the car mate, love seeing a car with fresh paint, look forward to end result.

Photo449.jpg

Photo450.jpg

What is the car in the back ground?

Photo454.jpg

Photo453.jpg

Reminds me of my A4 just before it got done, would be intrested to see more picture during.

Thanks for that, car in the background is a race seat leon. Its for x-sport racing in basingstoke, we do all of there race cars. Also do alot of E30's in the production BMW and toyo tyres championship from them as well.
The bloke who owns it rolled it at brands so its had a new roof, rear quarter and a full re-spray

Got a few updates on the re-spray, hopefuly the links will work as i've got some pics too.

I've removed the lower door mouldings as they look horrible and i'm fitting S4 skirts so they had to go, this shows the metal pins that hold them mouldings grinded
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/floydturbo/Photo452-1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/floydturbo/Photo473.jpg

I welded a plate behind these holes in the front wings and smothed them over......................
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/floydturbo/Photo474.jpg
.............like that!!!
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/floydturbo/Photo477.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/floydturbo/Photo476.jpg

S4 R/Bumper prepped and trial fitted
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/floydturbo/Photo478.jpg

Exhaust will need bringing out around an inch an half
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/floydturbo/Photo479.jpg

So all the repair/filler work is done on the body, next on my list is to put the car on axle stands and lower the ramp onto the floor so i can get the skirts trial fitted. Cant do it on the ramp as its in the way...******!

Last edited:
Good progress mate, looking better already. I plan on removing the strips on doors too, is there a lot involved with welding etc, as i might get a pro to do that for me???

P.s I mean a professional, not a dirty lady!:happy:

Its not really that cheap as you have to spray down both sides of the car!!

Its easy, simply rip off the mouldings and plastic clips. The metal pins that held the mouldings on are then grinded off until theres only 1mm of the pin left. Then i used a small belt sander with an 80 grit belt to buzz the rest off so its smooth and doesn't leave dirty great grinder marks all over the doors.
All that needed welding was the rectangular holes in the bottom of the front wings and 2 small holes at the fronts of the doors, one small skim of filler over and its done.

Easy job for me as the whole car is being sprayed and i'm doing it myself, but if i was mr public wanting them mouldings removed you'd be looking at about a grand to paint down both sides. So although its pretty easy, its not cheap!

ok well it's cheap seeing you are painting the car anyway, so the actual cost is a few hours work extra and a skim of mud, whereas i undersatnd the usual deal is over £150 for the door parts to suit the S4 skirts on top of the cost of the skirts, thats what i meant

Good work, I will have to keep an eye for it around Bracknell when it's done ;)

Is it Bodytone you work for?

Last edited:
My mate took his mk2 Golf there to get a few bits done. I've also seen a few cars around Bracknell with bodytone stickers, you wouldn't happen to know if the guy with the black mk1 Golf with orange bodytone decal is local?

Yeah very local, he's sitting right next to me! Its my step dads (the boss)
You seen it about then? We've done a few mk2's lately, most from the phirm

So very local to you :)

Did it used to be silver as I think it used to own to someone who lives near me.
here it is at Brands late last year.
DSC00220.jpg

would he be intrested in this?
berksmk1sig.jpg

& sorry for going alittle of topic ;)

Yeah it was silver when he got it, was pretty much a rolling shell with a load of bits ready to go on it. He swapped a blue very noisy and quick mk2 G60 for it. The bloke who had it before is called Mark, lives in warfield in bracknell

Yeah, I live in the same area as Mark, it looked like he only ever used that G60 a hand full of times. He's got himself a M3 now.

Anyway back on topic ;), how's the spray job going?

Yeah he popped down our place not so long ago, he changes his cars more times than i change my pants!!

Its going good mate, slowly but surely. The bodies all prepped up and ready for primer, Trial fitted the S4 rear bumper and messed around all morning today trial fitting the RS4 front bumper.
I like to get everything fitting perfect then strip it again, prep, paint then re-fit. That way the final fit up is easy and stress free!

Started fitting the S4 skirts today, there gonna be a bit a mission i think

Got some more pics- Everything is now in primer. Roof, all four wings and all shuts are prepped up ready for paint on monday

Photo518.jpg

Photo520.jpg

Photo522.jpg

Primer is long blocked with a 320 grit abranet strip then guide coated and sanded with a palm sander and interface pad with a 500 grit disc to eliminate scratch's from the 320 giving a nice flat and wobble free panel
Photo525.jpg

Photo529.jpg

Photo531.jpg

Photo532.jpg

wow!!!

glad you went for white in the end, cant wait to see it finished

Yeah so am i, its VW candy white. Same as the new rocco's. I cant wait either, i'm hoping next weekend it'll be done.
Just the shame about the poor quality photo's from my phone, they dont do it justice

Thought u finally decided to keep it black??? Hard to keep up with you! Ha

Looking very good mate, love seeing it being done proper aswell, door shuts, petrol cap etc, details that make it perfect. Look forward to seeing it built back up, bet your chuffed!:yes:

Well i was gonna keep it black but then i thought, i work in a bodyshop and i'm gonne re-spray it so i may as well spend a bit more time on it and change the colour, be daft not to really.
I've been working real hard on it, getting up at half 5 nearly every morning so i can get a couple of hours done on it before i start work then staying an hour or two after work. Its a bit tiring but the results are worth it. The main body was sprayed on wednesday after work (16 hour day!) Since then the nearside doors, bootlid, petrol flap and rear lights have also been coloured up.
Yesterday morning i thought i'd treat myself and have a nice relaxed morning of fitting up the body, Fitted up the door shuts, put the front and rear screen rubbers, door and bootild shut rubbers and few other bits and bobs. Have to say, its looks pretty dam good already. Loving it

all the hours are worth it mate,youve done a cracking job......but if you have a few spare minutes,can you do mine!!:eyebrows:

Haha no chance, i thought i'd get mine done in a couple of weeks and its been going on for about 5 now! To much of a perfectionist to rush anything, especially my pride and joy!

Unless you wanna pay me a couple of grand and i'm sure i could make time!!!

White bodywork looks ACE!

Green wheels... questionable!

But... looking at the Orange Polo and purple panels in the last pic, I can see you like the bright colours!

Black rims with a green outer pin-stripe maybe?

Either way, the bodywork looks great!

Thanks dude, Wheels aren't staying green. Thats how i bought them, i needed some cash so i sold the mono's and bought them as a replacement as they were cheap and 18's. Was gonna keep them green as the car was staying black but now they need re-spraying. Colour is still undeceided, its either black, GT3 RS red, white or baby pink

Few more updates, got the back end all back together. All thats left to paint is the two offside doors, bonnet and door mouldings which i'm gonna prep over the weekend ready for some paint monday morning. Hopefuly the coilovers will be here and fitted next week so next weekend i can finish it
Photo587.jpg

Photo588.jpg

Photo589.jpg

Photo590.jpg

Photo592.jpg

Looking good eh, i think i'm gonna wet myself a little bit when its all done!!!

Ooohhh looking really good, loving what you are doing here! Cant wait to see the rest as it progresses!