noob off to look at a car

mcbunny

Reaction score
hey Y'all nice to be here:)

im off to look at a 98 avant 1.8t sport tomorrow its blue dunno what one though.

its done 140k 2 owners FSH and last serviced at 138k

what should i look out for etc the advert says it has navigation and tv but i cant see no tv lol

media

any way any help would be great

ta mike

it looks like it has sat nav on the dash,an aftermarket jobbie.so as for the tv,might be a couple of screens on back of headrests.
check the pas rack/fluid ect,as your looking at £400+ to have it replaced!

Make sure the timing belt and ALL the associated components have been changed along with it. Post the link for the advert so we can all have a better look at it.

this is the advert i do wonder what bits actually apply to the car as it says leather and it doesnt have it and it says wheel trims lol

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 140,000 miles, Blue, MOT-06-2011, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, CD, Central locking, Child locks, Cloth upholstery, Colour coding - Body, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Heated screen, Heated seats, Leather seats, Locking wheel nuts, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Multi function steering wheel, Navigation system, Park distance control, Passenger airbag, Pearlescent paint, Power assisted steering, Radio, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Roof rails, Side airbags, Sports seats, Sunroof, Telephone, Tinted glass, Towbar, Traction control, TV, Wheel trims. Insurance Group:15A,. INCLUDES FULL SERVICE HISTORY UPTO 138K, STACKS OF RECIEPTS, 3 KEYS, ALL PREVIOUS MOT'S, CAMBELT CHANGED, AND ONLY TWO OWNERS

4691808062_e52c389954_b.jpg

4691175703_e0edf148d9_b.jpg

4691175609_da240e1bed_b.jpg

4691175505_0061b336ff_b.jpg

4691807542_6b8aa565a2_b.jpg

4691807450_5d15b91e28_b.jpg

4691175145_dd68cf8302_b.jpg

i think they've linked 2 ads together,as it says it has cloth and leather!it looks tidy,just check its actual spec!

I'll tell you what the guys done, he's just cut and pasted a generic car spec description on the advert. What a ****!..........Theres no multi function steering wheel either. Barter some money off because of the false advertising. He will give in once he has seen the colour of your money. Remembe dont take any ****** from these used car salesman. If it dosnt feel right just walk away. On the test drive if you can feel/hear knocking coming from the front end it needs a new set of control arms. Infact, if they havnt been done then it needs them anyway at 140k. Check the exhaust too, as it might need replacing. Scour the SH for any faults that were not rectified. When the cambelt was changed ask to see proff that the thermostat/waterpump/aux drive belt/tensioner etc were changed at the same time. Remember regardless of mileage the timing belt needs changing at least once every 4-5 years. Oh, and make sure the key is present so you can remove the towbar if you dont need it. Mine wasnt and it took me 3 hours to chop it off with a grinder! Also listen for excessive whistleing on the testdrive and look for excessive smoke from the exhaust, both signs of a worn/blown turbo. If the airbag or ABS lights come on and stay on then demand to get it sorted as a condition of sale, as you want to be enjoying your new car not fixing it (like the rest of us!!lol!!). Open the oil fill cap and check for mayo, if theres lots, scarper! Also check the oil to see how fresh it is. It is a good indication of how well it has been looked after. If its jet black then its been neglected and is due an oil change asap. B5's need the oil changing every 5k (10w/40 or fully syth 5w) Those aside, it looks ok from the pics. Have fun!

Ollie

Last edited:
you think its still worth going to see as its over 100 miles away ?

Depends on the price and what your wanting. How much is he after, and are you buying expecting a perfect car you can drive without worrying about anything, or are you buying into a bit of a project?

The advert is full of crap, it doesnt have heated seats, park control, telephone, traction control etc.

140k is a dodgy area for these cars. If the front arms havent been done, they'll be needing done, thats £350+ in parts alone. Turbos seem to like failing around then too, although it might already have been replaced. Our old cars turbo went at 120k, and the replacement went at 190k.

If your buying it cheap and are aware that these bits will need fixed then i'd be checking the car over to ensure its not been crashed, and carefully inspecting the oil and filler cap for signs of sludge.

its up for 1300 i was wanting something to just get me back and forwards to work every day for maybe a year 30 miles a day then maybe the odd trip to the inlaws in scotland

Got some overspray on the tailpipes, check inside boot floor for any creases if its had it up the ar$e! Hopefully wasnt to nasty a bump.

well spoted foxmeister, it dont look to bad but like aragorn said take a good look around i bought mine with out know anything about these cars and i have spent over £1700 on parts so take your time ask the same questions to see if you can trip them up on a lie and good luck butty

just called them again cambelt was done at 100k aux belt was changed too he couldnt say if thermostat/waterpump had been done or tensioner